Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Telus Mobility] Telus LTE hub, $60 50gb, $75 250gb, $110 500gb (Rural AB/BC)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2019 12:21 am
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2005
3920 posts
298 upvotes
BC
PleaseSaveUsTelus wrote: Ordered my Smarthub directly from Telus using the number given on the brochure. The same pamphlet people have been getting in the mail recently such as the one the OP posted.
Yes they have been out on that line for weeks. I ordered mine from www.clearwest.ca/ruralsmarthub

Saw a FB post about it.

Tired smartcell.ca and apex but they didn't have it
Nov 18, 2004
49 posts
70 upvotes
Ordered mine last night from telus, was told 3-5 weeks. The next day I was notified item was shipped, estimated delivery in two days. Thanks op.Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2080 posts
272 upvotes
Burnaby
should be a good price if necessary.
ASUS RAMPAGE II EXTREME; i7-950; GTX 560; 16G Mem; 2TB HD; 24x DVD-RAM;
Jan 9, 2010
51 posts
18 upvotes
Fort McMurray
received mine today. Speed test is about 36 mbps down and 15 mbps (in fort mcmurray). Slightly slower than my iphone and 6+6s (50 up , 20 down . The sim card is device locked and will not work in another device (tested on a netgear 785). will confirm later if it is tower locked as i plan to take it to a work site camp. Just a heads up, my device had antennas installed from factory which led to bad/weak signal. Had to completely remove them and reinstall them. Signal improved greatly (from -115 to -85). Suspecting one of them was cross thread so it wasn't fully inserted/poor connection.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2005
3920 posts
298 upvotes
BC
peanut wrote: Ordered mine last night from telus, was told 3-5 weeks. The next day I was notified item was shipped, estimated delivery in two days. Thanks op.Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Inventory of the hubs are severely back ordered and deliveries are expected the 3rd to 4th week of January.
Nov 18, 2004
49 posts
70 upvotes
Guess I was lucky, got mine in less then a week.
Penalty Box
Sep 6, 2011
1054 posts
1102 upvotes
ducky.t wrote: received mine today. Speed test is about 36 mbps down and 15 mbps (in fort mcmurray). Slightly slower than my iphone and 6+6s (50 up , 20 down . The sim card is device locked and will not work in another device (tested on a netgear 785). will confirm later if it is tower locked as i plan to take it to a work site camp. Just a heads up, my device had antennas installed from factory which led to bad/weak signal. Had to completely remove them and reinstall them. Signal improved greatly (from -115 to -85). Suspecting one of them was cross thread so it wasn't fully inserted/poor connection.
I wonder if you can change the device locked SIM card to a regular SIM card and try it in your iPhone, don't try this if the service is tower locked as that would be pointless.
Jan 15, 2017
4 posts
2 upvotes
Speeds are good for this smarthub deal, but overall its a very very poor internet connection. Why? Because Telus has a carrier grade nat setup on this network, blocking all incoming ports. Your external ip is shared amongst other network users. You cannot get a public ip address at all, not static or dynamic. If you want public ip you need business account with a different crappy data plan. If youre thinking of this for home internet, remember it does not play nice with gaming consoles, (always strict nat - with no workaround solutions), and any remote connectivty applications (wont be able to log in to security cameras ect. due to no port forwarding allowed) Better off with cci wireless or xplorenet (at least with these you can open up nat on consoles).
Jan 23, 2014
66 posts
33 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
User773359 wrote: Speeds are good for this smarthub deal, but overall its a very very poor internet connection. Why? Because Telus has a carrier grade nat setup on this network, blocking all incoming ports. Your external ip is shared amongst other network users. You cannot get a public ip address at all, not static or dynamic. If you want public ip you need business account with a different crappy data plan. If youre thinking of this for home internet, remember it does not play nice with gaming consoles, (always strict nat - with no workaround solutions), and any remote connectivty applications (wont be able to log in to security cameras ect. due to no port forwarding allowed) Better off with cci wireless or xplorenet (at least with these you can open up nat on consoles).
I have been using it exclusively for home internet and ps4 gaming. Yes it is a type 3 nat but I don't seem to have any issues connecting to anything online in regards to multiplayer or voice chat. I really just play destiny, gta v and call of duty but in all those I can join and play and chat with no issues. Can't speak to anything like security cameras as I don't have any. I would never go back to xplornet. Speeds were horrendous.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2461 posts
1844 upvotes
Clarington
User773359 wrote: Speeds are good for this smarthub deal, but overall its a very very poor internet connection. Why? Because Telus has a carrier grade nat setup on this network, blocking all incoming ports. Your external ip is shared amongst other network users. You cannot get a public ip address at all, not static or dynamic. If you want public ip you need business account with a different crappy data plan. If youre thinking of this for home internet, remember it does not play nice with gaming consoles, (always strict nat - with no workaround solutions), and any remote connectivty applications (wont be able to log in to security cameras ect. due to no port forwarding allowed) Better off with cci wireless or xplorenet (at least with these you can open up nat on consoles).
Do you work for xplorenet? This hub works fine for gaming and no portion of the Internet would work without an actual public ip address.
Jan 15, 2017
4 posts
2 upvotes
lol. No i dont work for xplorenet or any internet company, theyre all thieves imo. Your public ip is not yours btw ...its ours. Shared, which is why there is no incoming connections allowed. As for gaming, you might think youre ok with type 3nat but you are not. Sure youll be able to join some games, but the amount of people you can join or talk to is very limited. I have cci wireless connection now as well as my smarthub. The slower cci connection is waaay better for online gaming due to nat type 1 as opposed to 3. I can connect to way more servers, and party chats actually work.
Jan 15, 2017
4 posts
2 upvotes
Bawler wrote: Do you work for xplorenet? This hub works fine for gaming and no portion of the Internet would work without an actual public ip address.
btw...do you work for telus? haha i bet you do.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2461 posts
1844 upvotes
Clarington
User773359 wrote: btw...do you work for telus? haha i bet you do.
Excellent comeback for someone with 3 posts.