Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Telus Mobility] Telus LTE hub, $60 50gb, $75 250gb, $110 500gb (Rural AB/BC)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2019 12:21 am
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1171 posts
167 upvotes
Montreal
carbonfilter wrote: Sounds like a good product but the $849.00 maybe a deal breaker
I currently use the telus smart hub and its does drop signal/or drop speeds to 1mbps now and again rebooting does reconnect the signal most times but also considering booster/antenna options
anyone with any experience using the huawei B890 with an external antenna
I use the WeBoost with the Yagi antenna at the cottage and I can tell you that I went from 0-1 Bars to 3-4 bars on LTE with this. I could not send text messages (but could receive) - forget about data and having a voice conversation lasting more than 15 seconds.

I tried the Unidens sold at Costco and they were crap in my case. Spent most of a weekend trying to place the antenna to get it working properly. I returned it.

So if you have a weak signal - buy the best brand of boosters period. Costco now also sells the WeBoost brand online. I went from nothing to 6-1m Mbps connection on Bell LTE. The lake I'm at is at 100 ft elevation and surrounded by small mountains.
Nov 27, 2005
308 posts
77 upvotes
Can anyone please confirm (with confidence) that Telus is using CGN? My hub is on backorder, but I'll probably cancel now, if I know I won't be able to access my cameras and server. Got the same bologna with Xplornet trial, after they assured me I'd be able to connect to my network attached hardware. Actually quite happy with my current ISP, but the Telus speeds were so enticing... Found several threads indicating that Telus was moving its network to IPv6 - was hopeful that this might change the circumstances.

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2142 posts
460 upvotes
You might want to give a call to tech dept. just complaining your Smart Hub seems to be slow. I just did and speed went up from around 55-60 to 80-85 Mbps as per testmy.net For the past two months, except for a few brief moments of really slow going, the speed has been consistent. Thanks Telus. Cheers.
Nov 3, 2016
9 posts
I heard the backlog of Smart Hubs is gone and people are starting to get their units again! anybody know if this is true?
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
1390 posts
121 upvotes
Anyone else using this with Xbox one and Call of duty? We keep getting Restricted NAT, and I seem to remember I read some where that TELUS and Restricted NAT go hand in hand.

Current Setup is the Huawii connected to Netgear R7000 (wan port) I've put r7000 in DMZ on the TELUS smart hub, and then the xbox 1 in DMZ. I've also tried putting the Xbox 1 directly to the TELUS smart hub and putting it in DMZ and still getting restricted NAT on COD which is limiting my son's ability to play with friends

Thanks Winky
Apr 9, 2012
409 posts
300 upvotes
KelvinSimmons wrote: I heard the backlog of Smart Hubs is gone and people are starting to get their units again! anybody know if this is true?
I think this is true as mine was on back order for 3 weeks from a Telus store & I was called a week ago & told it was in for pick up. I was also told they would only hold it for 2 days as there was a long waiting list. If I did it again, I would call Telus to buy it & have it delivered.

I have been using it for a week & it works very well. I do not do any gaming & i dont stream things generally but do view a few YouTube videos & tested watching a movie segment from a TV station & those all worked fine.

Seems like they lifted the cell phone tower restriction & there does not seem to be any RURAL reference on the website any longer. Sales person told me it will work with any celll tower. I drove around for 50 kms with it on my dash & it stayed connected & I had WiFi on my cell phone wherever I stopped to check. It has a battery backup that lasts for 60-90 minutes which is what I used driving around.

Overall, for my rural area of once poor internet service, this is a great change I get 12-14 MBs download & 6-8 MBs Upload. Website says 12-25 MBs average download speeds. Bad part is you MUST sign the 2 year plan & the modem costs $300 where $12.50 per mth is removed to pay for the modem. You can cancel any time but you have to pay the remaining balance on the $300 modem.
Jan 23, 2014
66 posts
33 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
mrwinky wrote: Anyone else using this with Xbox one and Call of duty? We keep getting Restricted NAT, and I seem to remember I read some where that TELUS and Restricted NAT go hand in hand.

Current Setup is the Huawii connected to Netgear R7000 (wan port) I've put r7000 in DMZ on the TELUS smart hub, and then the xbox 1 in DMZ. I've also tried putting the Xbox 1 directly to the TELUS smart hub and putting it in DMZ and still getting restricted NAT on COD which is limiting my son's ability to play with friends

Thanks Winky
Pretty sure as has been discussed that Tuscany is behind a Carrier Grade Nat so regardless of what you try on don't think you'll be able to get better than type 3 until they decide to change some things on their end. I've just accepted it and continue to play COD, Destiny. Good luck though.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2142 posts
460 upvotes
eroch1856 wrote: is this available for Ontario?
ON is BELL country so TELUS won't offer it there. Still BELL and ROGERS also offer the ZTE Smart Hub but not with the same competitive offer. Check out their mobility site.
Jul 20, 2006
24 posts
5 upvotes
Anyone have this in the area south of Calgary?

Would really be interested to know if mobile whether it works on Highway 2 right into the city, or if there is a certain point at which it disconnects (e.g. does it really work on all towers, or just the designated rural towers?).
Apr 9, 2012
409 posts
300 upvotes
Anyone have this in the area south of Calgary?

Would really be interested to know if mobile whether it works on Highway 2 right into the city, or if there is a certain point at which it disconnects (e.g. does it really work on all towers, or just the designated rural towers?).
In my paperwork from Telus, nor from the Telus sales person in the store, were location restrictions EVER mentioned. The sales person actually told me that it will work wherever there is a cell signal (as does the included user guide & which also says it's portable) & that she was unaware of the "rural" restriction. But these sales people I've learned are not the most knowledgeable about their products or technology. As well, if you look at the web pages for the smart hub, the RURAL designation is no where to be found (at least I couldn't find it) & many of the available locations are not even rural but are small to medium size cities. Also where I live, the service is supposedly unavailable but I'm using it right now. I opted to at least try it to see for myself as I was getting mixed info from Telus support & they kept telling me there was a 15 day trial period anyway.

While I can't answer your specific location question, and if no one else can, then you can always get it yourself to try free for 15 days BUT BE AWARE of THE TRIAL USAGE LIMITS, which are pretty low. If you go over the limits, then the trial & free return is supposedly voided. Maybe there is some trial leeway except for large amounts of data or voice use?