Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Telus Mobility] Telus LTE hub, $60 50gb, $75 250gb, $110 500gb (Rural AB/BC)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2019 2:50 pm
Mar 28, 2009
1 posts
And shipping pretty fast. I called on Jan 26 to order mine, got told 6-8 weeks. Got a shipping notice on Feb 1st and it arrived on the 3rd.

What I suspect the issue is that caused the back orders was explained in a note in the package. The ZTE is having a shortage of the battery backup for these devices, so Telus is now shipping them without it and will ship the battery when its available.

And pretty impressive speeds too:

This is in Indus, AB (a couple miles SE of Calgary).
Nov 3, 2016
9 posts
I spoke with a dealer and he said they only released a few Smart Hubs this time around. 1400 or so. Do you think it might have to do with them not wanting to overload their towers? For some reason I feel like we are all being used as guinea pigs, because this offer still feels too good to be true.

I spoke with Xplornet and I heard they are lowering their prices soon.
Apr 9, 2012
366 posts
268 upvotes
KelvinSimmons wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 9:44 am
I spoke with a dealer and he said they only released a few Smart Hubs this time around. 1400 or so. Do you think it might have to do with them not wanting to overload their towers? For some reason I feel like we are all being used as guinea pigs, because this offer still feels too good to be true.

I spoke with Xplornet and I heard they are lowering their prices soon.
Too good to be true????? While I appreciate the service, the high cost I do not appreciate but my only other 2 choices as a rural resident are worse. Xplorenet was a complete disaster & an expensive waste of time.

Interesting article on CBC today. Local's DIY Rural Low Cost High Speed Internet So seems like Telus/Bell/Rogers/Shaw are hosing us, though I know it's not exactly the same technology as this Smart Hub. Our rural area is also in a Technology Black Hole from Hell & the local wireless provider service is just too slow & unreliable & the cost is still high. I'd like to support local but after nearly 10 years of doing so & nothing really improving, I had to jump to Telus for better value & speeds & reliability. Hopefully Telus drops the prices before long, though I doubt it.
Apr 9, 2012
366 posts
268 upvotes
jrreid wrote:
Feb 5th, 2017 11:41 pm
And shipping pretty fast. I called on Jan 26 to order mine, got told 6-8 weeks. Got a shipping notice on Feb 1st and it arrived on the 3rd.

What I suspect the issue is that caused the back orders was explained in a note in the package. The ZTE is having a shortage of the battery backup for these devices, so Telus is now shipping them without it and will ship the battery when its available.

And pretty impressive speeds too:

This is in Indus, AB (a couple miles SE of Calgary).
I don't understand the speed reference, as on the Telus page it says that speeds will vary from 12-25 Mps. So how can one be getting 63.4 Mbps if the modem's or the Telus services max speed is supposedly 25 Mbps? I get 12-15 Mbps download but am 20 kms from the nearest tower, line of sight. I wish mine were as fast as yours!!!
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2916 posts
406 upvotes
Alberta
Mtnviewer wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 7:33 pm
I don't understand the speed reference, as on the Telus page it says that speeds will vary from 12-25 Mps. So how can one be getting 63.4 Mbps if the modem's or the Telus services max speed is supposedly 25 Mbps? I get 12-15 Mbps download but am 20 kms from the nearest tower, line of sight. I wish mine were as fast as yours!!!
Telus' max speed is not 25mbps. Telus advertises a typical maximum speed of 25mbps.

Theoretical speed is far higher.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2422 posts
1777 upvotes
Clarington
Mtnviewer wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 7:31 pm
Too good to be true????? While I appreciate the service, the high cost I do not appreciate but my only other 2 choices as a rural resident are worse. Xplorenet was a complete disaster & an expensive waste of time.

Interesting article on CBC today. Local's DIY Rural Low Cost High Speed Internet So seems like Telus/Bell/Rogers/Shaw are hosing us, though I know it's not exactly the same technology as this Smart Hub. Our rural area is also in a Technology Black Hole from Hell & the local wireless provider service is just too slow & unreliable & the cost is still high. I'd like to support local but after nearly 10 years of doing so & nothing really improving, I had to jump to Telus for better value & speeds & reliability. Hopefully Telus drops the prices before long, though I doubt it.
We've got smaller isp's all over Ontario that compete with Xplornet. Most of them are just as terrible unfortunately as I suspect is the same where you live.

Personally I use Ruralwave which costs me $100/month for a 7mbps connection that suffers from terrible time of use problems but otherwise is fine and at my cottage I have Nexicom which I pay $65/month for a 10mbps connection.

I'd LOVE to have this Telus offer in Ontario as I really just would end up paying ~$10/month more.
Banned
Jan 17, 2017
46 posts
2 upvotes
Xplornet is always saying they lowering p in few months
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2916 posts
406 upvotes
Alberta
Cerial wrote:
Feb 11th, 2017 2:22 pm
Xplornet is always saying they lowering p in few months
Doesn't really matter what the price is if the speeds are below 1mbps. Could be $9/mo and it's still not worth it.
Feb 14, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
Got my Telus ZTE 275R hub. Was sent to my address in Alberta. I got it redirected to my parent on Vancouver Island (since I will be there for a couple months). It did not come with a battery (guy at telus said it would be sent at some point) so the only way to use it is to be plugged in. Just loaded my Sim card that was provided (was already hooked up on telus account) and entered the network security key. Logged on without any problems. Speeds were very good. So this should answer the question about if the hubs are tower dependent to your house area. I am in a different province and get out fine. One thing that is bad is the little screw on antennas. There is 2 of them. Will have to take off if you plan on travelling with hub in a laptop bag or you might break them off. Very stiff to screw on. Must be a better setup I hope. Hub is approx. 5 inch wide x 5 inch long x 11/2 inches thick.
Banned
Jan 17, 2017
46 posts
2 upvotes
Where abouts on Vancouver Island. Are you in one of the designated cities. Thanks. I doubt it will work in cities not listed.
Nov 15, 2009
177 posts
385 upvotes
B.C.
My parents have this service with TELUS and they have posted speed tests 100mbit+ down. I guess it just depends where you are, how far you are from tower, and how saturated the tower is...
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2422 posts
1777 upvotes
Clarington
I'm really really curious as to whether this would work in Ontario now...
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2510 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Bawler wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 5:40 pm
I'm really really curious as to whether this would work in Ontario now...
You'll have to activate it in specific stores in Alberta BC or have it mailed to specific addresses in AB & BC.
If you have family there who can do the leg work, I'm sure it will work outside of AB/BC.
The question is how long before TELUS see you're not connecting to a tower in those 2 provinces and cut you off.
OR maybe it will only work on specific towers, and if you use it outside those towers you pay a crazy amount.
Apr 9, 2012
366 posts
268 upvotes
mobifree wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 5:50 pm
You'll have to activate it in specific stores in Alberta BC or have it mailed to specific addresses in AB & BC.
If you have family there who can do the leg work, I'm sure it will work outside of AB/BC.

The question is how long before TELUS see you're not connecting to a tower in those 2 provinces and cut you off.
OR maybe it will only work on specific towers, and if you use it outside those towers you pay a crazy amount.
The ONLY activation required is the SIM card & perhaps the billing address, though as my bill will be automatically billed to my Visa card, I could be anywhere when the bill is paid/used. And, the unit is portable AND NOT TIED TO ANY PARTICULAR TOWER(S) that have the broad but required frequencies. My town is NOT on the available list, so assuming that the tower at one point did not have a required frequency but the unit works for me & was sold to me & the Telus agent told me that it would work wherever there was a cell signal & this appears to be the case, I also took it with me when I travelled to another city 250 kms away & it worked fine there. As well, if you read about the Telus Business version of this modem, the same modem is portable & the website indicates that it can be taken to any city in the country where Telus has service. This service seems to be the same & is perhaps an evolution of the once business only product.

So, as far as I can tell, you would need the Telus SIM card (it also has a local phone # that comes with it & which you could add a Telus residential phone service) for the device which seems to be data only unless you later opted for the phone service AND you "might" need a BC or AB billing address. My billing address is in the town where the list says there is NO service availability, so that certainly was not an impediment, or even noticed by the Telus store agent. So I fully expect that I'd be able to take this to Ontario & use it where there is Telus service, as even the manual says that it is portable & NO RESTRICTIONS ARE OTHERWISE INDICATED in the manual or the contract. So buy it in Alberta where they will sell you & or activate the SIM card & then take it wherever you want that has Telus service (granted some old towers may not have the required frequency, same as any new cell phone I guess).

P.S. Thanks MobiFree for your fast service unlocking two phones for me!