Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Telus Mobility] Telus LTE hub, $60 50gb, $75 250gb, $110 500gb (Rural AB/BC)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2018 5:26 pm
Banned
May 29, 2012
304 posts
54 upvotes
YALE
It's mobile
Last edited by spuzzum on Apr 29th, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jul 31, 2015
807 posts
399 upvotes
AB
Btw, this deal is still valid, not expired

The mods moved it here without reason.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2341 posts
1622 upvotes
Clarington
U4LIFE wrote:
Apr 30th, 2017 9:48 am
Btw, this deal is still valid, not expired

The mods moved it here without reason.
Trying to reason with mods on this site is pointless. I've had a deal moved to expired while there was still stock 30 minutes after posting it and when I had a mod move it back to Hot Deals another mod moved it within 2 minutes back to expired.

One of many reasons the deals portion of the site is slowing down.
Nov 12, 2014
21 posts
5 upvotes
Salmon Arm, BC
Anyone getting a hit on speeds? In Salmon Arm, my download speeds for the last week or so have been around 10 mbps. I use to average 30-50 mbps, so I think Telus is throttling all of a sudden in this area would be my guess.
Nov 3, 2016
9 posts
Did anybody else get charged upfront fees? When I activated, the TELUS store I went to said a mandatory $35 fee + the SIM. I paid $50+tax for the activation fee.

The dealer seemed a bit pushy and I was wondering if this was common. Looking online I didnt see any mention of this.

WEIRD!
Nov 12, 2014
21 posts
5 upvotes
Salmon Arm, BC
Yes, a Telus store did that to me. I asked them to tell me about anything extra fees and they said there were none. After they got me to sign the contract, then they hit me with the fee lol. I ordered a second one for a family member from telus mobile direct and there was no fee, just the $15 sim card fee.
May 23, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
Has anyone attached the ZTE hub to a plain unmanaged network switch and been cut off or ??? because of it?
May 23, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
Or has anyone connected the ZTE hub to an unmanaged network switch and had no problems with Telus because of it? I have a wired Acurite internet hub that I use to monitor greenhouse and deepfreeze temperatures and such around the place that is pretty much useless to me now! The agent that signed us up said that the LAN port could only be used to connect to a computer, so I knew this was going to be an issue, but hey, anything to get away from years of bondage to Xplornet!!!
Nov 12, 2014
21 posts
5 upvotes
Salmon Arm, BC
I just have the ZTE hardwired to a regular TP-Link Hub running to several PC's with ethernet cables without a hitch. It has 5 ports and for $20 on amazon is worth it.
May 23, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
Thanks klrman! How long have you had it setup this way?

I have a Netgear GS108 switch that I want to hook it up to. I don't know how serious Telus is about connecting to one computer only, so that's why I ask how long you have had it setup this way. If its been a while then I suppose that should mean that Telus is okay with allowing it.
May 25, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
I've been on this system for a while (since nov when the first posts popped up) every now and then I look for a solution to the double nat this thing imposes as it does have a fit if it has to many devices on its on its dhcp list (i got around 40) but you can hook in a router and have it do the heavy lifting to assign the additional network structure and be fine also seems they arn't to strict on there throttling if the networks not busy seen sustained downloads of 85mbs on steam.... at 3 am more advertised speeds durring the day it really depends on BOTH signal quality and congestion move your hub around look for the best possible signal both for yourself and to alleviate unnecessary congestion caused by a poor connection . As a former xplornet customer I hope xplornet gets nailed with fraud they bought all the local competition in my area jacked up the prices and throttled the snot out of every one. the company I was originally with before this changed hand 3 times from excellent service in 2004 to festering slime by 2010 when it changed hands for the 2nd time
Nov 12, 2014
21 posts
5 upvotes
Salmon Arm, BC
letscancelwinter wrote:
May 26th, 2017 1:35 pm
Thanks klrman! How long have you had it setup this way?

I have a Netgear GS108 switch that I want to hook it up to. I don't know how serious Telus is about connecting to one computer only, so that's why I ask how long you have had it setup this way. If its been a while then I suppose that should mean that Telus is okay with allowing it.
Several months now and no glitches. I have this set up at my house and my cousins house. All computers run at full speed no problems.
May 23, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
Thanks zraider and klrman! I'm going to give it a try when I get a chance.

About 2 weeks ago something changed and my upload speeds went from great to virtually non-existent as measured by ookla speedtest! Download speeds went from like 30 to 5 as well, with large swings in the rate now showing during the test! I'm using a zBoost cell phone signal booster because we are in a bad reception area (even though we are 5 miles south of Ponoka, and a quarter mile from highway 2A and less than 2 miles from highway 2! Go figure!) After some initial placement issues were sorted out, it was working great, with the ZTE showing a strong signal. Now the ZTE shows a weak signal, but the zBoost light is still green. This happened I think around the time we had the big windstorm that caused flickering power, until the power finally went out. My zBoost antenna on the roof still appears to be intact though. It was probably also around the time the leaves really started coming out as well, although the nearest trees to me in the direction of the Telus tower are some distance away. So now I've got something new to troubleshoot! Any ideas? I suppose I should take the ZTE up by the zBoost antenna and see what it shows there for signal strength. Thanks again!