Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Telus Mobility] Telus LTE hub, $60 50gb, $75 250gb, $110 500gb (Rural AB/BC)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2018 5:26 pm
Nov 12, 2014
21 posts
5 upvotes
Salmon Arm, BC
I think the wild swings in speeds is a Telus thing. I live right in town a few blocks from the telus tower and it has been doing the same thing but lately it has more or less been steady again. When it plays up, my speeds drop to 5 too and even saw it at less than 1 on ookla but 10 minutes later getting fast again. Who knows what Telus is up to, but overall it has been reliable enough.
Dec 14, 2013
1 posts
CHETWYND
i have it and its great. fiber runs down the road a block away but we cant have it...pbbbttt.
the hub works well and compared to xplorenet its blindingly fast!
but.....watch for "mystery" charges. we have the 110/month deal...and not one month has been 110$.
hoping to find ANYONE else that has a similar product.
Feb 5, 2012
70 posts
142 upvotes
VICTORIA
Hey, a heads up to anyone who is on this hub and has had issues with P2P online gaming using a closed NAT: it is actually possible to get a static public IP added on to your account for $5 with enough persistence!

You will likely have to get through several layers of reps but it can be done. After a couple months, I eventually had my ticket looked at by a great tech who completely understood the problem and was able to make an exception to add a static public IP to my account despite the usual restriction to business customers only. He also said that they are working on a solution for everyone regardless of getting the add-on, but in the meantime they can offer you the IP!
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
10685 posts
1050 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
Does anyone that uses this know a way to have your data auto blocked at 100%. Im getting tired the last day or two when Im getting close the the cap to leave a 10Gb buffer for just in case. Not only am I not getting what Im paying for, the overages costs are very high. And the notifications are useless since by the time you get the 100% text, you are already over, and they auto charge you.

And so for the post above, I can confirm that can be done as well, for $5 a month
[OP]
Jul 31, 2015
805 posts
398 upvotes
AB
FearMyWrench wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 7:46 pm
Hey, a heads up to anyone who is on this hub and has had issues with P2P online gaming using a closed NAT: it is actually possible to get a static public IP added on to your account for $5 with enough persistence!

You will likely have to get through several layers of reps but it can be done. After a couple months, I eventually had my ticket looked at by a great tech who completely understood the problem and was able to make an exception to add a static public IP to my account despite the usual restriction to business customers only. He also said that they are working on a solution for everyone regardless of getting the add-on, but in the meantime they can offer you the IP!
Didn’t know about the static ip, that’s pretty awesome
[OP]
Jul 31, 2015
805 posts
398 upvotes
AB
WikkiWikki wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 2:46 pm
Does anyone that uses this know a way to have your data auto blocked at 100%. Im getting tired the last day or two when Im getting close the the cap to leave a 10Gb buffer for just in case. Not only am I not getting what Im paying for, the overages costs are very high. And the notifications are useless since by the time you get the 100% text, you are already over, and they auto charge you.

And so for the post above, I can confirm that can be done as well, for $5 a month
The overages aren’t bad at all at $10/5gb.. and no I don’t think telus has a way to stop/block data at the data limit unfortunately
Mar 12, 2017
1 posts
I just spoke to Telus who again told me that the plans are only available to a certain number of clients in BC and AB, and they are locked to a small network of towers only. You are not allowed to travel and if you do it will bill you at pay per use rates. They also said that they can stop the data at your limit, and that you have to contact them to authorize overage (same deal as their cell service and on Koodo).

I provided the link to this thread and asked for it to be passed up that the poor suffering people in Ontario want relief from Xplornet.

He said that Xplornet is a monopoly and he understands. I told him I want to switch from the Monopoly to the Oligarchy lol

I'll update if I hear back from Telus.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
10685 posts
1050 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
ChristopherR085 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2018 2:30 pm
I just spoke to Telus who again told me that the plans are only available to a certain number of clients in BC and AB, and they are locked to a small network of towers only. You are not allowed to travel and if you do it will bill you at pay per use rates. They also said that they can stop the data at your limit, and that you have to contact them to authorize overage (same deal as their cell service and on Koodo).

I provided the link to this thread and asked for it to be passed up that the poor suffering people in Ontario want relief from Xplornet.

He said that Xplornet is a monopoly and he understands. I told him I want to switch from the Monopoly to the Oligarchy lol

I'll update if I hear back from Telus.
For the overages, I got the opposite. I was told they cant be stopped at the cap. I myself can stop them online if I want, but that doesnt help unless you are constantly monitoring your usage the last day or two.

More or less if I see we are going to be over the last couple days, I unplug my router. And only plug it in for just internet then. My kids are getting better, and its not web surfing, or torrents, Youtube or Netflix that eat up the bulk. Its the stupid huge PS4 patches. Install a game, theres a 30GB patch. On average we can use 8.5 GB a day and be fine. But right there thats 4 days of use on one patch. And we have 2 Ps4s in the house, so there are always patches, updates, etc

If we have a lot of room say middle of the month, then I say go ahead. But one month they downloaded all the saved patches from the previous month on the data reset day. 50GB was used, in a day. And when you only have 256GB for the month, thats basically 1/4 used in one day

I will gladly call again to ask about the auto stop, but I would need more info than "I read some guy said this"

I know I could upgrade to the 500GB, but I told my boys I would only if they pay the extra $35 a month, since the overages are all on them. They wont, so I wont be upgrading to pay for something Im not using
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
10685 posts
1050 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
For anyone that is on this system, what Smart Hub do you have. I never realized there are different ones until I went into another Telus Store and saw the ZTE Smart Hub. I have the huawei smart hub and wondering what the difference of them are.

Cost wise its the same per month. But is one faster then the other for downloads. I have no issue with mine, but if I cant get better for the same price, Id like to do that
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
5824 posts
5998 upvotes
So, this SmartHub service is not available in Greater Calgary according to the map. Can anyone from Calgary confirm whether they have access to this high data cap plan?
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
10685 posts
1050 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Mar 5th, 2018 11:32 pm
So, this SmartHub service is not available in Greater Calgary according to the map. Can anyone from Calgary confirm whether they have access to this high data cap plan?
This is dedicated to rural customers only, so if your address isnt in their database for rural, you wont get it, if you have access to other internet via cable or adsl
[OP]
Jul 31, 2015
805 posts
398 upvotes
AB
WikkiWikki wrote:
Mar 5th, 2018 4:12 pm
For anyone that is on this system, what Smart Hub do you have. I never realized there are different ones until I went into another Telus Store and saw the ZTE Smart Hub. I have the huawei smart hub and wondering what the difference of them are.

Cost wise its the same per month. But is one faster then the other for downloads. I have no issue with mine, but if I cant get better for the same price, Id like to do that
We had the Huawei first, traded it in for the LTE after a week or two. In our experience the huawei performed better with higher speeds, but tended to need frequent resetting as periodically the connection would just stop despite getting good bars and all. The zte performs slightly less on average for speedtests, but is smaller, more reliable, and has a battery backup. All good things
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
10685 posts
1050 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
U4LIFE wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 2:05 am
We had the Huawei first, traded it in for the LTE after a week or two. In our experience the huawei performed better with higher speeds, but tended to need frequent resetting as periodically the connection would just stop despite getting good bars and all. The zte performs slightly less on average for speedtests, but is smaller, more reliable, and has a battery backup. All good things
Thanks. We haven't noticed any issues with ours, I have it set to reboot automatically every Sunday night, so maybe that's why. I do like the battery backup thing, so have internet at least during a power outage.

If I knew there were two different versions when I signed up I would of looked into them more, but I thought since this was for rural only, you kind of got what you got.
Jan 13, 2009
270 posts
83 upvotes
1) Has anyone actually confirmed if the sim card from the TELUS Hun is locked to the IMEI of the hub? i.e. can I take it out and put it in my phone? I searched this thread but all I can see is speculations.
2) How does this compare to the same plan from Bell? i.e. can I take the SIM card from the bell LTE modem and put it in my phone?