Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Telus Mobility] Telus LTE hub, $60 50gb, $75 250gb, $110 500gb (Rural AB/BC)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2019 2:50 pm
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
13452 posts
1524 upvotes
Out west
elfion wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 12:33 pm
1) Has anyone actually confirmed if the sim card from the TELUS Hun is locked to the IMEI of the hub? i.e. can I take it out and put it in my phone? I searched this thread but all I can see is speculations.
2) How does this compare to the same plan from Bell? i.e. can I take the SIM card from the bell LTE modem and put it in my phone?
I havent confirmed, but just read, but if the device shows that its out of the area of where it is linked, as in land location, then it gets blocked and turned off. Im sure moving it around the area some if fine, but if your 15 miles away or something, its gets turned off.

But that is from what I have read, I have never tried mine at another location

How does it compare to Bell, dont know. Many on this plan dont have the Bell option, so the point is moot
Feb 21, 2018
51 posts
5 upvotes
I am in the middle of contract and still 9 month to go (400$). There are much better deals on the market now. Is there anyway I can negotiate with telus to reduce my contract?

Thanks
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
13452 posts
1524 upvotes
Out west
chrisnm wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 3:14 pm
I am in the middle of contract and still 9 month to go (400$). There are much better deals on the market now. Is there anyway I can negotiate with telus to reduce my contract?

Thanks
Please post these deals, Im sure many would like to know about them. When did you sign up, in many parts of AB and BC this has only been available for a year now
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
3368 posts
1884 upvotes
Manitouwadge, Ontari…
So I want to use this in Ontario P0T2C0 I know we have a decent tower here I get 25/10 on my Kodoo phone plan. We have really bad internet service here so I like to get the 500gb plan for a few Months.
---
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2422 posts
1776 upvotes
Clarington
kanechart wrote:
Apr 14th, 2018 1:56 pm
So I want to use this in Ontario P0T2C0 I know we have a decent tower here I get 25/10 on my Kodoo phone plan. We have really bad internet service here so I like to get the 500gb plan for a few Months.
and if you figure out a way, there are a ton of rural ontario residence that will thank you.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
13452 posts
1524 upvotes
Out west
kanechart wrote:
Apr 14th, 2018 1:56 pm
Will the hub be located where your address is, because hey do actually check that, and that it hooks up to the towers in the area covered by this, which is BC and AB
Mar 9, 2015
176 posts
60 upvotes
Aldergrove, BC
FYI- Telus is having a major network issue today (many or all hubs think they are outside the service area) so if your internet is down that is why
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
13452 posts
1524 upvotes
Out west
jcb928 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 11:07 am
FYI- Telus is having a major network issue today (many or all hubs think they are outside the service area) so if your internet is down that is why
Ill wait for the text from the kids. They probably think I blocked it from work again. Which I do sometimes when they are being patch download hogs
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4391 posts
131 upvotes
I'm looking to get setup with the smart hub from Telus. The house is in Edmonton and according to the website the address is eligible for the smart hub plan.

Telus has two hub options, Huawei B612 Smart Hub and ZTE MF279 Smart Hub. What's the difference and which is the better one?

My question is, can I get a better aftermarket LTE modem/router/hub to use with the telus plan? And I need coverage for 2.53acres of land, what's my best Wifi router option for this? And finally Can I get 2 smarthub connections from telus and bridge them together to get 1TB of data
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2916 posts
406 upvotes
Alberta
xpoint9 wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2018 8:58 pm
I'm looking to get setup with the smart hub from Telus. The house is in Edmonton and according to the website the address is eligible for the smart hub plan.

Telus has two hub options, Huawei B612 Smart Hub and ZTE MF279 Smart Hub. What's the difference and which is the better one?

My question is, can I get a better aftermarket LTE modem/router/hub to use with the telus plan? And I need coverage for 2.53acres of land, what's my best Wifi router option for this? And finally Can I get 2 smarthub connections from telus and bridge them together to get 1TB of data
You will not be covering 2.53 acres with any standard WiFi router.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4391 posts
131 upvotes
scouzer wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2018 10:28 pm
You will not be covering 2.53 acres with any standard WiFi router.
yes i realize that but I was thinking someone would recommend proper equipment. I think my question regarding the wifi coverage is more suited for a networking forum.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2005
3920 posts
298 upvotes
BC
xpoint9 wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2018 8:58 pm

The ZTE hub is discontinued now, and you cannot bridge them anyway.

Best to get a good router with external antenna connectors and theninvest in a great WiFi mast antenna
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4391 posts
131 upvotes
good deal bc wrote:
Jul 5th, 2018 2:17 am
The ZTE hub is discontinued now, and you cannot bridge them anyway.

Best to get a good router with external antenna connectors and theninvest in a great WiFi mast antenna
Why can't they bridge the connection? I think the biggest hold back would be Telus not giving out two lines to the same house. But if they do give me two hubs then can't I use an internet binder and get around 40mbps speed?. I think they offer 25mbps per connection. And the bonding eats a bit of bandwidth too.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2069 posts
339 upvotes
My son has been using the ZTE from rural B.C. to Vancouver without problem for a few weeks at a time. TELUS did catch him once and disconnected the service with some message that he was not in a service area.
So it is portable.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
13452 posts
1524 upvotes
Out west
andreid wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 9:11 am
My son has been using the ZTE from rural B.C. to Vancouver without problem for a few weeks at a time. TELUS did catch him once and disconnected the service with some message that he was not in a service area.
So it is portable.
But is it. You said he was caught . Anything can be done until you are caught. So really, its nor portable, otherwise he wouldnt of been disconnected