Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Telus Mobility] Telus LTE hub, $60 50gb, $75 250gb, $110 500gb (Rural AB/BC)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2019 2:50 pm
[OP]
Jul 31, 2015
990 posts
532 upvotes
AB
carbonfilter wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2018 9:35 am
Also interested to know if it would be possible to increase the speed I am currently getting from the standard Telus smart hub
Good question, part of me thinks they throttle the speeds to not overload the towers. At my parents we only get around 20 on the hub, but 80 on my iPhone .
May 21, 2016
9 posts
1 upvote
not all cell towers have the hardware needed for these modems. I travel all over AB/BC in my rv. sometimes I get into an area with no service and only get the telus info screen. as soon as I move to an area with coverage my service is live again. in vancouver, for example, you will get a good signal at spanish banks, but not most of burnaby. it depends which tower you initially connect to and if that tower has been hardware upgraded. if you are on the edge of two towers, you may find reception is intermittent. it just depends which tower you connected to. if there is rain or other interference, your modem may connect to some other tower. telus has Never disconnected me in 2 years of travel. the reason telus can't say for sure if you will get service, even when you are in coverage, is because they have no way of knowing which tower will connect. perhaps you have a concrete wall or microwave interference or ?? or the tower signal has degraded slightly, or another tower without the needed hardware has increased its strength. just because your phone has service does not mean that tower is capable of this service. there are other modems/plans from telus that use standard lte equipment much more expensive tho, but they will give you data on any telus tower.
Mar 28, 2015
157 posts
35 upvotes
Rural AB
I have been experiencing slow speeds at peek times
average 2.5mbps download
Spoke to TELUS several times to try improve the issues ( found them to be rude and very unhelpful to be honest’
Finally spoke to a manager yesterday and was basically told to ‘suck it up or leave ‘
Told me hub gets second priority to normal cell traffic on the towers plus all smart plans are throttled as well. I asked if they would send/supply the latest smart hub to see if this would improve anything
They told me they would charge another
$35 dollar for a new hub
$10 extra per month on my plan so $85 pm
and I needed to sign a 2 yr contract
I told them hey I am paying you $75 pm for a service that has issues at peak times !!!
Be careful what seemed like a good rural plan when I first took it out 2 yrs later is slowly changing into
xplornet all over again.
TELUS customer service really sucks ................
Last edited by carbonfilter on Nov 14th, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
13524 posts
1529 upvotes
Out west
carbonfilter wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 11:52 am
I have been experiencing slow speeds at peek times
average 2.5mbps download
Spoke to TELUS several times to try improve the issues
Finally spoke to a manager yesterday and was basically told to ‘suck it up or leave ‘
Told me hub gets second priority to normal cell traffic on the towers plus all smart plans are throttled as well. I asked if they would send/supply the latest smart hub to see if this would improve anything
They told me they would charge another
$35 dollar for a new hub
$10 extra per month on my plan so $85 pm
and I needed to sign a 2 yr contract
I told them hey I am paying you $75 pm for a service that has issues at peak times !!!
Be careful what seemed like a good rural plan when I first took it out 2 yrs later is slowly changing into
xplornet all over again.
TELUS customer service really sucks ................
Im not sure what are speeds are, I havent checked for a long time. Day to day surfing is fast as ever, Netflix works fine, etc. Downloads, I dont pay attention to, since its still faster than Xplornet ever was.

Kids PS4 patchs download fast it seems, Could it be faster, maybe. They dont complain, and I really dont care either, and its still faster than Xplornet when a patch would take a week is now done in a few hours

I have the Huwai hub which doesnt seem to be available anymore. Or maybe Im in an area that isnt congested.
Mar 28, 2015
157 posts
35 upvotes
Rural AB
WikkiWikki wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 11:55 am
Im not sure what are speeds are, I havent checked for a long time. Day to day surfing is fast as ever, Netflix works fine, etc. Downloads, I dont pay attention to, since its still faster than Xplornet ever was.

Kids PS4 patchs download fast it seems, Could it be faster, maybe. They dont complain, and I really dont care either, and its still faster than Xplornet when a patch would take a week is now done in a few hours

I have the Huwai hub which doesnt seem to be available anymore. Or maybe Im in an area that isnt congested.
I have the B890 for 2 yrs now
My service was good before these speed issues
Maybe I am just one of the unlucky ones.........
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
13524 posts
1529 upvotes
Out west
carbonfilter wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 12:07 pm
I have the B890 for 2 yrs now
My service was good before these speed issues
Maybe I am just one of the unlucky ones.........
I have noticed the last month I have had to reboot my Smart Hub more than I ever have before. I have it auto reboot once a week, this is the most Ive had to do it manually. Just randomly lose connection
Last edited by WikkiWikki on Nov 16th, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 28, 2015
157 posts
35 upvotes
Rural AB
WikkiWikki wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 12:39 pm
I have noticed the last month I have had to reboot my Smart Hub more than I ever have before. I have it auto reboot once a week, this is the most Ive had to do it manually. Just randomly loose connection
Yes I have reboot mine normally on a daily basis to try improve the connection / speed
I never rebooted at all in the first year so this allow is telling me something has changed
Mar 28, 2015
157 posts
35 upvotes
Rural AB
Has anyone used the ‘google wifi’ with your existing TELUS smart hub. I be interested to know if it is possible and if it will improve the range of the wifi signal
Nov 28, 2018
2 posts
1 upvote
Ctrl-Z wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2016 4:16 pm
I am an Alberta resident and this would be a godsend for me except my farm is just across the border in Saskatchewan and I use a SaskTel tower. I can add this offer to the multiple screwings I receive as someone who lives in one province but works in another (free trade my ass). I want to see if SaskTel offers something similar (likely problem being I don't even have a Saskatchewan mailing address) but don't really know what to call this kind of Internet service. "High Speed Internet with Smart Hub"?
Sasktel's option is called Fusion
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2076 posts
351 upvotes
Watch out when manipulating SIM cards in the ZTE device as it has a known defect of not being able to read a SIM card ( "No SIM Card or SIM Card invalid!" error ). The result is either a new 2-year deal or outright purchase of a new modem ($350 !!!) or the resiliation of the contract.
Another electronic device has a known defect (by everyone at TELUS) but it is the consumer that pays. As usual.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2005
3920 posts
298 upvotes
BC
andreid wrote:
Apr 20th, 2019 9:21 pm
Watch out when manipulating SIM cards in the ZTE device as it has a known defect of not being able to read a SIM card ( "No SIM Card or SIM Card invalid!" error ). The result is either a new 2-year deal or outright purchase of a new modem ($350 !!!) or the resiliation of the contract.
Another electronic device has a known defect (by everyone at TELUS) but it is the consumer that pays. As usual.
This is definitely not an issue out there, clearly a one off defect.
Jun 19, 2019
1 posts
I see this is an older thread, but am curious if someone knows.... I moved my hub to another location and now moved it back home and it won't connect?? Is there any way I can it to connect again?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2835 posts
1599 upvotes
Canadia
Telus has doubled the monthly data allowance for all plans. Their Smart Hub page now lists 100 GB/month for $60, 500 GB for $75 and 1TB for $110.

This is great news - we still use Xplornet for most things (streaming, casual surfing). I work from home quite often and have issues with Xplornet for video conferencing and large uploads, so I grabbed an old Huawei B890 hub from work and signed up for the $60 plan. It'll be nice to have an extra 50 GB cushion.