Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Telus Mobility] Telus LTE hub, $60 50gb, $75 250gb, $110 500gb (Rural AB/BC)

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2019 12:21 am
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 7, 2014
1081 posts
1265 upvotes
Gud Ol' Ontariuh Boy
darwoodcanada wrote:
mohammedessam wrote: If i can get this plan in Ontario, that would be great
The best you can get in Ontario is Bell 48.95/m 50GB + 50GB additional for 10.00 extra FLEX.
Can you provide a link on this? Bell's site doesn't show this for Ontario...

If true, I know at least two family members who'd jump on instantly and ditch Xplornet!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 20, 2004
1390 posts
121 upvotes
cloneman wrote: It's nice that companies are finally offering something like this. I don't understand why there's not more off-peak data plans for rural users. I don't live in the sticks but I'd be super pissed if I'd have to use Xplornet or some other shitty company instead of a real service
You have no idea how true this statement is. We live approx. 1.5km from town and yet I'm stuck with xplornet and my average downloads are .5 - .75 at the best of times. Then there is the times when our internet goes down and we have to wait 3-4 days for a tech to come out. I'm on the phone with TELUS right now signing up. So I'm going from crappy xplornet service level and 200gig a month for $75 to TELUS LTE with 250gig! Happy Days for this family!

Winky
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2015
1052 posts
600 upvotes
AB
mrwinky wrote:
cloneman wrote: It's nice that companies are finally offering something like this. I don't understand why there's not more off-peak data plans for rural users. I don't live in the sticks but I'd be super pissed if I'd have to use Xplornet or some other shitty company instead of a real service
You have no idea how true this statement is. We live approx. 1.5km from town and yet I'm stuck with xplornet and my average downloads are .5 - .75 at the best of times. Then there is the times when our internet goes down and we have to wait 3-4 days for a tech to come out. I'm on the phone with TELUS right now signing up. So I'm going from crappy xplornet service level and 200gig a month for $75 to TELUS LTE with 250gig! Happy Days for this family!

Winky
Heard xplornet was bad, but yikes that sounds horrible. Glad I could help.

This plan is a savior for us too, on the farm we were stuck with a 5gb tablet plan for our internet. Now can finally enjoy modern internet activities out there aswell.

I hope these much larger data amounts for LTE start becoming a thing... starting with rural users, and hopefully being available for tablets, sticks, and phones too.

Good on telus for stepping up!!!
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 20, 2012
728 posts
120 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
If I can get this, I will drop my Koodo plan and go with a Speakout for voice.. haha...
Fido $45
Unlimited Canada Calling, Unlimited Global Texting/MMS, 5GB Data
Twilight 128GB Hauwei P20 Pro
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 13, 2006
3435 posts
3049 upvotes
Muskoka
Can someone provide details -
I understand your address needs to be in rural Alta/BC.
Can you use the hub anywhere in Cda?
any term commitment?

Thanks
Koodo
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 16, 2011
2507 posts
1918 upvotes
Clarington
ID01 wrote: Just go here for exact price, term, and eligible cities

http://www.telus.com/en/bc/internet/new ... _Smart-Hub

I'm guessing long as your address is in one of those city to bill to, they don't care where you actually uses it. I suggest simply call them up and confirm.
$110/month for 500gb is also an option!

I'm serious - if this can be used anywhere in Canada and you just need an address in a specific city - does anyone want to make some money and ship this to me in Ontario?
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1495 posts
1036 upvotes
Richmond
I don't recall where you see 500GB is an option. Can you explain a bit more?

If what you said is true. This pretty much made mobile internet actually viable.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 24, 2006
2413 posts
1077 upvotes
Barrie
Crazy that telco's are able to do stuff like this. I just don't get it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 16, 2011
2507 posts
1918 upvotes
Clarington
ID01 wrote: I don't recall where you see 500GB is an option. Can you explain a bit more?

If what you said is true. This pretty much made mobile internet actually viable.
It says it right on the link you quoted
Sr. Member
Sep 3, 2009
548 posts
233 upvotes
Calgary
ID01 wrote: Just go here for exact price, term, and eligible cities

http://www.telus.com/en/bc/internet/new ... _Smart-Hub

I'm guessing long as your address is in one of those city to bill to, they don't care where you actually uses it. I suggest simply call them up and confirm.
Even Lethbridge and Red Deer is eligible, I thought they are pretty big cities.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 24, 2006
2413 posts
1077 upvotes
Barrie
zywan0124 wrote:
ID01 wrote: Just go here for exact price, term, and eligible cities

http://www.telus.com/en/bc/internet/new ... _Smart-Hub

I'm guessing long as your address is in one of those city to bill to, they don't care where you actually uses it. I suggest simply call them up and confirm.
Even Lethbridge and Red Deer is eligible, I thought they are pretty big cities.
agreed. The eligible cities in BC are the same. Some big centers are eligible.
Jr. Member
Sep 3, 2006
114 posts
21 upvotes
I don't understand why the city folk are trying to get this plan? The DSL/Cable/Fibre deals are less expensive, and faster and more reliable.

The hub requires 120VAC to work, and the fine print says the SIM will not work if removed from the device, and the device will not work outside of the registration area.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 21, 2015
7684 posts
42213 upvotes
Ontario
kold wrote: I don't understand why the city folk are trying to get this plan? The DSL/Cable/Fibre deals are less expensive, and faster and more reliable.

The hub requires 120VAC to work, and the fine print says the SIM will not work if removed from the device, and the device will not work outside of the registration area.
Some people want to connect multiple device or if they have a family/friends gathering. PM plans only have 4GB per month and still paying around $40.

I'm using Rogers and only have 4GB flex shared between 6 ppl. Extra gb = $10/2gb. Still cost more than this plans.
I carry my tablet and 2 phones. Always have to turn on my hotspot and consume a lot of battery but this is more convenient .
Costco West Lists

Costco 【West】 2020 Clearance items .97
If you have time, please do the RFD Survey. It only takes a minute. More sponsors for them. Link

Top