Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Telus Mobility] Telus LTE hub, $60 50gb, $75 250gb, $110 500gb (Rural AB/BC)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2019 12:21 am
Feb 6, 2011
12 posts
3 upvotes
I wonder if it's shareable, can anybody confirm if they can share the data bucket with their smartphone/tablet? If so, then this would be a really hot deal.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2015
1049 posts
599 upvotes
AB
Kalid360 wrote: I wonder if it's shareable, can anybody confirm if they can share the data bucket with their smartphone/tablet? If so, then this would be a really hot deal.
Confirmed it is not shareable

... although I hope eventually the big carriers start moving that way, buy a big chuck of data share better all your IoT devices, tablets, phones, vr, laptops, etc.
Feb 6, 2011
12 posts
3 upvotes
U4LIFE wrote: Confirmed it is not shareable

... although I hope eventually the big carriers start moving that way, buy a big chuck of data share better all your IoT devices, tablets, phones, vr, laptops, etc.
Aww that sucks. Absolutely agree with you on that though. Telecom is very uncompetitive here, doubt it'll happen soon.
Have you tried activating it on a smartphone sim? I know they said it won't work, you never know thou.

Thinking about using this in Ontario.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3434 posts
3046 upvotes
Muskoka
jcb928 wrote: They have updated the site so you can search by address.

I signed up in Abbotsford but they check if its available at your address and it is also consumer only and can't be on a business account. According to the Telus rep once it is set up you can use it anywhere even if you move (just dont update your address)

I am getting 40mbps down and 10mbps up
You can use it anywhere? Even out of province? I don't care that you need to keep the sim in the Hub. Can you set up under any name, just so long as the address is eligible? If so, there are going to be a number of cousins who live in BC now.
Koodo
Public Mobile
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2015
1049 posts
599 upvotes
AB
I heard from my telus rep that they are region locked. Sim to hub and to the towers around your address, but have not confirmed that. Would be cool if could use it anywhere for sure.
May 29, 2006
145 posts
24 upvotes
Unfortunately I'm sending my smart hub back to Telus as I'm blocked due to the tower I'm connecting to is "outside of the supported area with this specific high data plan" .......When I originally ordered this service (500gb plan) the rep told me it would work for me, even though I'm rural, my area is not on the Telus list for the communities for this plan. Telus sold it to me, I received the smart hub hardware A-OK, set it up, it connected just fine with full bars of signal on 4G (not LTE) but it would only allow me to access the Telus.com website. If I tried any other URL outside of the Telus domain it would say that the Server was not responding. Basically Telus was blocking all traffic outside of their domain.

I called Telus support on 2 separate occasions and the techs say that there is nothing wrong with my signal, connection, or hardware but rather since my tower is not in one of the support communities for these large plans I'm automatically prevented from accessing any URL outside of the Telus domain. Both techs confirmed that this is not due to my account address but rather all controlled at the tower that the smart hub is receiving signal from. They gave me 2 options, change my plan to one that is supported for my area (best I can get is a 10gb plan for mega $$$$) or return it for a refund as I'm still within the 30 day return period.

Words can not state how disappointed I am that it will not work for me and that there appears to be so much mixed messaging at Telus between the techs and the sales people. I'm a legitimate Rural customer in Alberta that is not able to get internet from any other Telus method and they basically said sorry you're out of luck even though they originally said this was the right solution for me....plus I'm a 25 year Telus home phone customer which basically meant nothing to them in any of the conversations I had with them.

So long story short, I don't think this is a "Mobile" solution for people traveling with their hubs or trying to fool Telus with a different billing address as it is tower controlled not account based (according to the techs). I guess you could probably move your smart hub between supported areas but not outside.

Back to my very crappy wireless internet connection with a provider I despise with no options to get better service or speed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2015
1049 posts
599 upvotes
AB
vanriver wrote:
Back to my very crappy wireless internet connection with a provider I despise with no options to get better service or speed.
Wow thats horrible, I'm surprised they couldn't make it work for you.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2934 posts
445 upvotes
Alberta
vanriver wrote: Unfortunately I'm sending my smart hub back to Telus as I'm blocked due to the tower I'm connecting to is "outside of the supported area with this specific high data plan" .......When I originally ordered this service (500gb plan) the rep told me it would work for me, even though I'm rural, my area is not on the Telus list for the communities for this plan. Telus sold it to me, I received the smart hub hardware A-OK, set it up, it connected just fine with full bars of signal on 4G (not LTE) but it would only allow me to access the Telus.com website. If I tried any other URL outside of the Telus domain it would say that the Server was not responding. Basically Telus was blocking all traffic outside of their domain.

I called Telus support on 2 separate occasions and the techs say that there is nothing wrong with my signal, connection, or hardware but rather since my tower is not in one of the support communities for these large plans I'm automatically prevented from accessing any URL outside of the Telus domain. Both techs confirmed that this is not due to my account address but rather all controlled at the tower that the smart hub is receiving signal from. They gave me 2 options, change my plan to one that is supported for my area (best I can get is a 10gb plan for mega $$$$) or return it for a refund as I'm still within the 30 day return period.

Words can not state how disappointed I am that it will not work for me and that there appears to be so much mixed messaging at Telus between the techs and the sales people. I'm a legitimate Rural customer in Alberta that is not able to get internet from any other Telus method and they basically said sorry you're out of luck even though they originally said this was the right solution for me....plus I'm a 25 year Telus home phone customer which basically meant nothing to them in any of the conversations I had with them.

So long story short, I don't think this is a "Mobile" solution for people traveling with their hubs or trying to fool Telus with a different billing address as it is tower controlled not account based (according to the techs). I guess you could probably move your smart hub between supported areas but not outside.

That really really blows man.

I chatted with the dealer and they confirmed what you're saying - most customers haven't had issues but occasionally someone just can't use it.

Telus has been picky about the areas they want this used.

That being said, I can see Telus' perspective. They may have looked at areas with high capacity, under utilized towers and made this promo available. Perhaps your tower has weak landline connectivity feeding it (for example) and it can't afford a bunch of customers suddenly gobbling 250GB of data a month.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2501 posts
1891 upvotes
Clarington
While it sucks that some people can't get it (myself included) at least Telus isnt willing to oversell towers just to make a buck.

The reason that xplornet blows is because they do exactly what Telus isn't willing to do. If your closest tower can't support the extra bandwidth, they shouldn't be selling more.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
1390 posts
121 upvotes
I've had mine for a week now, and wow what a difference from Xplorenet, i'm able to play Battlefield 1 and starwars battlefront with out lagging out. Seeing speeds of 8-15 down and 3 up. I've got it running through my Netgear r7000, since I wanted better coverage through out the house, but I've noticed my upload goes from 3 up to around .5. Not sure what would cause that. Loving it except for Halo Guardians which decided to do an 80gig update on Friday. Thankfully that was last day of the billing cycle. I promptly went to all the Xbox ones and turned off auto updates :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2015
1049 posts
599 upvotes
AB
mrwinky wrote: I've had mine for a week now, and wow what a difference from Xplorenet, i'm able to play Battlefield 1 and starwars battlefront with out lagging out. Seeing speeds of 8-15 down and 3 up. I've got it running through my Netgear r7000, since I wanted better coverage through out the house, but I've noticed my upload goes from 3 up to around .5. Not sure what would cause that. Loving it except for Halo Guardians which decided to do an 80gig update on Friday. Thankfully that was last day of the billing cycle. I promptly went to all the Xbox ones and turned off auto updates :)
are you putting the r7000 as an access point? or have you found a way to put the telus hub into bridge mode?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5130 posts
3567 upvotes
Vancouver
I have xplornet at my cabin in a rural area. Unfortunately there's no internet there and I am forced to use xplornet at the cabin which is awful. There is a Telus cell phone / LTE about a 10 minute drive away. I know it's a long shot, but does anyone know of any way to get that Telus LTE at my cabin? I am willing to spend quite a bit of money to do it. I'd even build a 100' tower if I needed to, and put a yagi antenna or whatever on. I've read up a bit about it, but I still don't have the technological expertise in this type of situation when it comes to LTE signals. The little community I am in actually pays a lot for internet. Everyone pays like $70 a month for 50gb of crap xplornet. So if I could get something like this it could service 10 houses all sharing it with 50gb each theoretically, saving a lot per month for everyone. Wouldn't take much to setup 10 accounts on a router with 50gb bandwidth per account or something like that. So that's why I don't mind paying, say, $5,000 to set this up if I needed to. Any ideas?
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
3947 posts
347 upvotes
vanriver wrote: Unfortunately I'm sending my smart hub back to Telus as I'm blocked due to the tower I'm connecting to is "outside of the supported area with this specific high data plan" .......When I originally ordered this service (500gb plan) the rep told me it would work for me, even though I'm rural, my area is not on the Telus list for the communities for this plan. Telus sold it to me, I received the smart hub hardware A-OK, set it up, it connected just fine with full bars of signal on 4G (not LTE) but it would only allow me to access the Telus.com website. If I tried any other URL outside of the Telus domain it would say that the Server was not responding. Basically Telus was blocking all traffic outside of their domain.

Email the CEO. You have nothing to lose.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2161 posts
483 upvotes
I ordered one for two teens gaming as they constantly complain of lagging here in rural B.C. The independent TELUS dealer had no idea of the product, ordered it and will call when in store to make an appointment with the technician. Hopefully, it will all work out.

These are also sold by ROGERS & BELL but as a mobility rather than internet item.
A quick read of the manual and there is a GPS in there... Like others have said, forget about moving, traveling, hacking.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2005
3920 posts
298 upvotes
BC
andreid wrote: I ordered one for two teens gaming as they constantly complain of lagging here in rural B.C. The independent TELUS dealer had no idea of the product, ordered it and will call when in store to make an appointment with the technician. Hopefully, it will all work out.

These are also sold by ROGERS & BELL but as a mobility rather than internet item.
A quick read of the manual and there is a GPS in there... Like others have said, forget about moving, traveling, hacking.
What city are you in? What store? They should know about the offer