• Sep 9th, 2011 10:59 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 21, 2010
775 posts
145 upvotes
Edmonton

[Telus] Telus Optik TV & Internet

I'm not sure if this is scalding, but it is in my opinion quite warm.

Telus' new network is looking very appealing - it seems they have some excellent incentives (both with contract and contract-free) to switch to their internet/phone/TV services. From what I understand, a 3-year contract to internet will get you a 'free' laptop (there are some conditions) and to TV will get you a free PVR. However looking at it from a non-contract point of view, they are offering very competitive services for all these services.

Leave telephone out of the equation, because they are basically identical. $20.95 for Shaw bundled vs. $21 for Telus.

I will first talk about Internet, because it's quite simple. Telus' new Internet service called "Optik" which needs to be bundled with Optik TV is rated at 5 to 15 MBps download, and is (after promotion) $37/month, and also $15/month for the first three months (for new customers, without contract). Compare this to Shaw's $42/month 15 Mbit high speed Xtreme, and assuming you get closer to the 15 MBps download with Optik as opposed to the 5 MBps, it's OK.

I also like the TV lineup better. For $23/month after promotion and $13/month for months 2-6 (free for 1st month) on promotion, you get the Essentials which includes all the primetime HD and SD channels, and you can add SD packs for $7 (which are necessary to add the corresponding HD packs), but you get to pick exactly what you get. Anybody got Optik yet?
161 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
2537 posts
173 upvotes
Calgary
This is good to know, but it should be in the Computers/Electronics discussion. Not really a "deal" if it's just regular price...
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4556 posts
271 upvotes
Victoria
I will once it's available in my area. The Telus PVR equipment is 100 times better than Shaw's crap. From what I've read no more audio dropouts and no more pixelated garbage HD on Telus. Also Shaw has cut their customer service line in Victoria to the bone so when you call in you get a way longer wait than I've ever had with Telus. I really hope Telus gets this thing deployed here soon.
Nov 2, 2006
75 posts
24 upvotes
Edmonton
On paper it really looks good. One thing that will increase the price though is that you need a digital box per TV. If you have 2 TVs, that adds an extra $20 rental per months. :(
[OP]
Mar 21, 2010
775 posts
145 upvotes
Edmonton
menomano wrote:
Jun 15th, 2010 12:17 pm
On paper it really looks good. One thing that will increase the price though is that you need a digital box per TV. If you have 2 TVs, that adds an extra $20 rental per months. :(
Yeah, but you generally need a single box per TV anyways.

@Soulsaber: I posted this in the hot deals section because I think it's hot enough that I may end up switching from Shaw to Telus because of it.

@dealguy2: Yeah, Shaw's ancient PVR sucks, Telus' PVR looks a lot more slick/advanced.

@daedalus2004: I think 100GB bw. Dunno if Telus enforces the $2/GB over usage they claim, but that is a definite drawback, cause I've gone over on Shaw countless times, and no problem.
Feb 14, 2006
39 posts
menomano wrote:
Jun 15th, 2010 12:17 pm
Can't you call in and ask them to supply those boxes at no extra cost? I have a feeling that it works just like mobile service -- they are willing to supply the hardware for free as long as you are a subscriber.

I am going to try to switch over soon from my current Shaw service. It would be great if somebody has switched over and has some feedback to tell.
Nov 2, 2006
75 posts
24 upvotes
Edmonton
fat wrote:
Jun 15th, 2010 12:35 pm
Can't you call in and ask them to supply those boxes at no extra cost? I have a feeling that it works just like mobile service -- they are willing to supply the hardware for free as long as you are a subscriber.

I am going to try to switch over soon from my current Shaw service. It would be great if somebody has switched over and has some feedback to tell.
Rental options

3 YEAR TERM
1 FREE HD PVR rental

2 YEAR TERM
1 FREE HD digital box rental

1 YEAR TERM
50% off 1 HD digital box rental

NO TERM
$10/month per HD digital box rental
$15/month per HD PVR rental
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2003
1859 posts
155 upvotes
100gb per month?

I would go WAY over that.

Shaw is exceptional about not bothering you with your download totals. If there is even a hint that Telus would moan at me for using the service how I like, then I'm sticking with Shaw.
Oct 23, 2008
38 posts
Vancouver
MacBuster wrote:
Jun 15th, 2010 1:04 pm
100gb per month?

I would go WAY over that.

Shaw is exceptional about not bothering you with your download totals. If there is even a hint that Telus would moan at me for using the service how I like, then I'm sticking with Shaw.
Shaw is also exceptional about traffic shaping. This is one of the reasons why I switched to Telus.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2010
775 posts
145 upvotes
Edmonton
I've never had a problem with traffic shaping of any sort from Shaw. But that would definitely be a deal breaker for me if Telus did it.
Aug 22, 2003
126 posts
1 upvote
Does anyone know if it is necessary to have Telus home phone?

I am currently on teksavvy dry DSL and have Voip.ms. I dont need Telus home phone.
RF
Apr 18, 2005
274 posts
23 upvotes
Surrey
Not that great of deal for me. First of all I hate long contracts (I want to quit if I don't like it). Second it depends on what channels you watch, and for me the Shaw lineup is a better fit. For a complete bundle with basic TV, phone and internet, Telus is $97 while Shaw is $107. BUT, I add on Fairchild chinese channel, which for Telus cost $20 while Shaw is only $7, which makes Shaw cheaper by $3 in total.

So with price being equal and now out of the equation ($3 is negligible), it's down to the channel lineup, and our house watches Fairchild 90% of the time anyways, but the remainder I watch sports, and Shaw basic includes Sportsnet and TSN, which Telus I would need to add the sports package for $7. Though Telus does include some HD channels in it's basic package, which is nice.

So I think it all depends on what you watch. Sometimes Telus will be better, sometimes Shaw. For those interested you should go to each of their websites and build the package you like and see which one is better for you.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2003
1859 posts
155 upvotes
thetano wrote:
Jun 15th, 2010 1:22 pm
Shaw is also exceptional about traffic shaping. This is one of the reasons why I switched to Telus.
Most of my bandwidth intensive downloads are encrypted. I have no issues with speed.
Nov 2, 2007
271 posts
34 upvotes
I had a package all picked out for Optik thinking I could save around $30 to $40 per month versus what Shaw charges me for Cable and Internet (given that a lot of what is bundled in our package with Shaw we do not watch) BUT after I factored in the hardware charges (even after locking to a contract to get a free PVR) the savings mostly evaporated. We have three Shaw boxes currently and the fourth TV just has regular cable. With Telus, all four TVs would need boxes and unlike Shaw which has a no frills box for $3.00/month, the lowest price box I think Telus had was $10.00/month.

If we didn't already have sunk costs tied to Shaw, I'd consider it, but for me presently, this is not a hot deal. (or even a good deal).
× < >