Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 31, 2011
12 posts
4 upvotes
Olds

TELUS Prepaid Samsung Galaxy Discover as an iPod replacement

So they are selling for $99. Wondering if everything but the phone/texting portion would work if I didn't activate it? Just put it in airplane mode and then use it as a music and video player.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2009
2155 posts
199 upvotes
copperpair wrote:
Nov 26th, 2012 1:03 pm
So they are selling for $99. Wondering if everything but the phone/texting portion would work if I didn't activate it? Just put it in airplane mode and then use it as a music and video player.
Yup you are right. The mp3/movie player would work. Just dont install the sim card and you would have to add a micro sd card up to 32gb to it
Brand NEW FUJIFILM F900EXR FOR SALE ASKING $225
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
1238 posts
84 upvotes
Yes, I've been using it as just that for the last couple weeks. Waiting for my pay-as-you go funds to deplete on my old phone before I start using it with sim card. You will have full access to your Email, GPS + Google maps, Google play store, games and browser over wifi.
There is only 1.75GB available in the internal memory so you'd want a micro sd card (up to 32GB) as mentioned above.
The only thing that would not be available would be phone calls, texting and cell data obviously.
If you have any other questions about the discover let me know.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4965 posts
714 upvotes
Maple
kev* wrote:
Nov 27th, 2012 11:30 am
Yes, I've been using it as just that for the last couple weeks. Waiting for my pay-as-you go funds to deplete on my old phone before I start using it with sim card. You will have full access to your Email, GPS + Google maps, Google play store, games and browser over wifi.
There is only 1.75GB available in the internal memory so you'd want a micro sd card (up to 32GB) as mentioned above.
The only thing that would not be available would be phone calls, texting and cell data obviously.
If you have any other questions about the discover let me know.
Do you find the Dicovery battery drains so fast? I have to charge daily with just on stand-by. Any advice what to do or check? Thanks.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
1238 posts
84 upvotes
Mine's been ok but not the best. With some usage I usually charge it every two days. Heavy usage I charge every day and on only standby It lasts 3-4 days. Check what is using most of the battery in settings. I usually have bluetooth and gps off and leave wifi on with the screen brightness is set to auto. Check for any apps that are eating up battery life in the background wallpapers, widgets, etc.
× < >