• Jan 28th, 2015 3:12 am
Tags:
None
Jun 8, 2007
945 posts
286 upvotes
Oshawa

Telus pull Sony Z3? Maybe?

Hey folks. Wondering if anyone knows anything about Telus and the Sony Z3. I am porting a Fido number over to telus (taking advantage of a work plan) for my wife. On Tuesday I stopped by our Retailer, Williams Communications in Oshawa and placed the order. I called today to get an update and was told that they have been asked by Telus to remove the Z3 demo from the shelf and send all Z3's back to Telus. The rep I spoke with said she was unsure as to why and has never had it happen before.

Anyways, wife was set on the Z3 but the rug may have been pulled out from under her. She prefers the Moto X but with only 16GB available in Canada thought the Z3 might be the better option..

Anyone here anything about the Z3 and Telus? I have gone ahead with the Port and wife will continue to use her N4 until we find her a phone. Pondering a Moto X Pure 32GB from the US.

Cheers... Mike
19 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2006
3146 posts
303 upvotes
Toronto ontario
Get a phone of equal value from telus. Sell it and buy an unlocked z3
"Truth is High, Higher Still is Truthful Living" Guru Nanak
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
I thought Sony has already announced they were closing up the entire mobile phone division?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
2682 posts
731 upvotes
Montreal
l69norm wrote: I thought Sony has already announced they were closing up the entire mobile phone division?
Put simply, no
Jun 8, 2007
945 posts
286 upvotes
Oshawa
Lots of options still to get her what ever phone she wants. Just was not sure if anyone has heard anything. I should find out more on Monday hopefully.
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
The Z3 isn't on Telus' website anymore, so I guess they've discontinued it. Maybe London Drugs will clear them out as prepaid phones :cheesygri .
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2011
1021 posts
70 upvotes
Dieppe
It was pulled temporarily because of an issue with the WiFi hotspot feature. When that is fixed by Sony, it will be back.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
rabbit wrote: Maybe London Drugs will clear them out as prepaid phones :cheesygri .
:lol: yeah keep on dreaming
Steam: SpectralMeat
Aug 8, 2014
456 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto, ON
One of my co-workers called into Retentions about getting a Z3 on a renewal.

Here's the gist of the conversation: The Sony Xperia Z3 sold in Canada by TELUS and BELL have some radio issue when using the hotspot feature. TELUS decided to stop selling the phone, don't know if BELL did the same. But will start selling the phone again once SONY releases a software update to fix the issue.
Jun 8, 2007
945 posts
286 upvotes
Oshawa
Thanks for the info.. I did find some info to this effect.. Now just waiting to see if they are going to show again any time soon or if we should find something else. WE ordered her a Case from Amazon.ca a couple days before we found out. She is set on the Z3. I offered to grab her a Nexus 5 for a few months until new generation shows up. Shes not to keen.. Oh well. She can keep using her broken Nexus 4.
YYZviaYUL wrote: One of my co-workers called into Retentions about getting a Z3 on a renewal.

Here's the gist of the conversation: The Sony Xperia Z3 sold in Canada by TELUS and BELL have some radio issue when using the hotspot feature. TELUS decided to stop selling the phone, don't know if BELL did the same. But will start selling the phone again once SONY releases a software update to fix the issue.
Jan 15, 2014
529 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
Bedpan wrote: Thanks for the info.. I did find some info to this effect.. Now just waiting to see if they are going to show again any time soon or if we should find something else. WE ordered her a Case from Amazon.ca a couple days before we found out. She is set on the Z3. I offered to grab her a Nexus 5 for a few months until new generation shows up. Shes not to keen.. Oh well. She can keep using her broken Nexus 4.
OMG!Droid: As Sony Canada Works on Software Update to Fixed Hotspot Compliance Issues, TELUS Suspends Sales of Xperia Z3. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw9eXf9Bo
Jun 8, 2007
945 posts
286 upvotes
Oshawa
Talked to telus yesterday. Think its going to be 4 weeks or more before they can sell Z3 again....
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
I still don't quiet understand what the problem is with the phone.
Is it dangerous to your health or it can explode or what is the big issue?
What about the unlocked Z3 from the Sony store or the other carrier branded ones?
Jun 8, 2007
945 posts
286 upvotes
Oshawa
From what I have read the radio power exceeds Canadian limitations when the Hotspot is enabled. Its not clear if it is mobile radio or wifi radio. Also not clear if its just Telus or other carriers are just ignoring it.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Bedpan wrote: From what I have read the radio power exceeds Canadian limitations when the Hotspot is enabled. Its not clear if it is mobile radio or wifi radio. Also not clear if its just Telus or other carriers are just ignoring it.
Ok but what can that cause? Health issues or is it just simply not aligned with the Canadian standards?
That is the part I don't understand.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4018 posts
2517 upvotes
Halifax
SpectralMeat wrote: Ok but what can that cause? Health issues or is it just simply not aligned with the Canadian standards?
That is the part I don't understand.
I doubt you were going to nuke yourself! More likely the hotspot is either too far out of the frequency rage, (might be easy to set for channel 14, which is legal in Japan, not in North America), or the radio is putting out too much power. My wild guess is that is can be configured to channel 14, and the firmware update will fix that.
Jun 8, 2007
945 posts
286 upvotes
Oshawa
I am guessing it is more for regulation purposes. The radios in the phone probably do not produce enough power in the short term to cause an medical problems even at 100% power.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Yeah it's just a complete halt on sales seems a little excessive for something so trivial, unless it is a health/safety issue.
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Tell them you can get one from Bell or Rogers now, and see if that doesn't help Telus get one into your hands any faster.