• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2012 9:30 pm
Tags:
None
May 19, 2008
143 posts
33 upvotes

Telus reducing data limit by 60% on prepaid data & messaging plan

Effective July 18 - I just got a text message about it.
Old plan was 250mb of data and unlimited texting for $20 per month.
New plan is 100mb of data and unlimited texting for $20 per month.

I need to find a new provider to switch to - any suggestions for similar plans?
21 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2008
1234 posts
105 upvotes
starbright wrote:
Jun 15th, 2012 7:43 pm

Really?? that sucks!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
5009 posts
260 upvotes
Kanata
Why would they do that, 250m is hardly anything. Would people sign it before get grandfathered?
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2003
2885 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
rivet wrote:
Jun 15th, 2012 3:50 pm
Why would they do that, 250m is hardly anything. Would people sign it before get grandfathered?
sounds like they are trying to force people onto monthly plan contracts....
thanks CRTC for protecting consumers
[OP]
May 19, 2008
143 posts
33 upvotes
rivet wrote:
Jun 15th, 2012 7:50 pm
I don't think so - I'm currently on the plan and received that text. On the phone with CSR now, who seems to be confirming that.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4383 posts
685 upvotes
Mississauga
hopyfully they dont change corporate plan, im very satisfied with 6GB data + 4g speed
Jun 20, 2009
198 posts
21 upvotes
starbright wrote:
Jun 15th, 2012 3:43 pm

Got the same text - you gotta love our phone phone carriers eh? Cutting features but charging the same price, absolutely beautiful.

Great order the texts came in too:

1st: "Dropping unlimited birthday calling" - uhh, OK never cared for that anyway.
2nd: "Overcharge drops from $3/MB to $1/MB" - wow, they might be actually be thinking about their customers...somewhat.
3rd: "Dropping data from 250MB to 100MB" - aww fk.

I'm moving to Virgin Mobile's $25 prepaid plan, least I get more minutes:

Anytime Minutes
UNLIMITED
Text to Canada & U.S.
100 MB
Data
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
5009 posts
260 upvotes
Kanata
So no grandfather confirmed from CSR? Just wondering, since I can still add this add-on today, wondering if it is worth to try to see if it can get grandfathered.
starbright wrote:
Jun 15th, 2012 4:06 pm
I don't think so - I'm currently on the plan and received that text. On the phone with CSR now, who seems to be confirming that.
Feb 27, 2005
788 posts
48 upvotes
Originally posted this on mobilesyrup

Wow this is ridiculous I just switched to this plan two months ago from Rogers. Was on the Rogers prepaid of $10 for 100mb and $10 for 2500 text messages. 0.39 mins weekdays 0.01 mins evening and weekends at 8pm. I sold my Rogers iPhone 4 and bought a Telus iPhone 4s. What a terrible move this was for more data. Customer service has been pretty good though. They somehow charged me US roaming text msg (you can’t roam on Telus Prepaid) of $5 dollars but was credited back automatically the next day and was informed of the error by text. Also the auto renew didn’t kick in on the text +data package of $20 and I went through $20 dollars prepaid in 2 days I called up and they instantly credited back the difference without question and for some reason gave me $33 dollars instead of $20 that I used. Wasn’t going to complain about that!

Rogers prepaid was horrible they use to call me 2x a day to get me to switch to a postpaid account, I am working during the day so my VM would get it and that would charge me 0.39 each time. It wasn’t from the free Rogers number but some other number that would charge me each time. I called to complain and they wouldn’t reverse the fees and suggested I take off VM if I didn’t want it to happen….but it’s you guys wasting my minutes! I sent an email and they eventually reversed all the charges and blocked the 1877 Rogers number from calling.

I wish they would just grandfather this package to us, didn’t they grandfather per second billing to prepaid accounts back in the day? Also, wasn’t this package unlimited data when it first came out?
Feb 27, 2005
788 posts
48 upvotes
teddy. wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 9:25 am
Got the same text - you gotta love our phone phone carriers eh? Cutting features but charging the same price, absolutely beautiful.

Great order the texts came in too:

1st: "Dropping unlimited birthday calling" - uhh, OK never cared for that anyway.
2nd: "Overcharge drops from $3/MB to $1/MB" - wow, they might be actually be thinking about their customers...somewhat.
3rd: "Dropping data from 250MB to 100MB" - aww fk.

I'm moving to Virgin Mobile's $25 prepaid plan, least I get more minutes:

Anytime Minutes
UNLIMITED
Text to Canada & U.S.
100 MB
Data
Hmmm this is definitely something to considering $5 more for 100 daytime mins (that would cost $20 through Telus) plus US texting don’t have anyone I would text in the US right now but perhaps in the near future.

One thing to consider with Telus is picture and video text messages are included.
MyRewards, although it takes forever to get any value from that.
And wasn’t Telus Perks replaced with WagJag credit each month.
[OP]
May 19, 2008
143 posts
33 upvotes
CSR has confirmed that the plan cannot be grandfathered.

I'm also pretty pissed about the change since I've been with Telus prepaid for about 3 years and just bought an iPhone outright from Telus specifically to use on this plan. Now I'm stuck with a Telus locked iPhone and significantly reduced service from Telus for the same price. Customer Service has refused to waive the unlocking fee, and is now saying they can't unlock the phone at all unless I switch to postpaid for at least 3 months. So after giving Telus hundreds of dollars, I don't even have the ability to freely choose another provider when Telus reduces their service plans. I don't see how this could possibly not be against some sort of Competition Bureau regulation.

I encourage everyone affected to contact consumer advocates and/or oversight organizations. Telus shouldn't be able to get away with quietly cutting services by such a significant amount via text message.
Jan 1, 2011
186 posts
29 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I've also got a TELUS iPhone 4s on this plan and this move is quite disappointing. TELUS has been number one in all regards as a carrier (especially CS and online portal) but this move along with other recent changes makes me believe they're moving away from this to become Robellus.

It looks like this is a permanent move however if we all voice our anger about the move via e-mail AND through the online portal and perhaps suggest a similar plan: 2500 SMS out + data 250MB for $20, maybe they'll add it. I'm optimistic that data 250 will be available in some form.
Feb 27, 2005
788 posts
48 upvotes
ns1225 wrote:
Jun 17th, 2012 7:49 pm
I've also got a TELUS iPhone 4s on this plan and this move is quite disappointing. TELUS has been number one in all regards as a carrier (especially CS and online portal) but this move along with other recent changes makes me believe they're moving away from this to become Robellus.

It looks like this is a permanent move however if we all voice our anger about the move via e-mail AND through the online portal and perhaps suggest a similar plan: 2500 SMS out + data 250MB for $20, maybe they'll add it. I'm optimistic that data 250 will be available in some form.
Sent my e-mail in, hopefully they reconsider and grandfather the rate plan. But I am doubtful.
Mar 18, 2012
552 posts
103 upvotes
Telus sent me the messages as well about the plan being reduced to 100mb
However I notice on their site the plan still shows up as being 250mb...it would even let me select it as an added feature... so I wonder if it is actually still available?
I didn't take the time to check this and changed my features to the Data 10 and Messaging 2500...will have to see if they still list it when it's time for me to renew next month. Anyone still getting 250mb?
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2011
1019 posts
69 upvotes
Dieppe
freetoaster wrote:
Jun 27th, 2012 7:53 pm
Telus sent me the messages as well about the plan being reduced to 100mb
However I notice on their site the plan still shows up as being 250mb...it would even let me select it as an added feature... so I wonder if it is actually still available?
I didn't take the time to check this and changed my features to the Data 10 and Messaging 2500...will have to see if they still list it when it's time for me to renew next month. Anyone still getting 250mb?
This change takes effect July 18th.

You can in fact be grandfathered with this plan as long as the feature auto-renews. Once it doesn't (for example, lack of funds come renewal day) you will lose the feature and will have to choose from what will be available at the time.
× < >