Cell Phones

Telus "retentions" are a joke these days

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2014 10:40 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3885 posts
666 upvotes
STOP financing phones with the providers !!!!!!!!!!
If everyone ran out and purchased there own... I think we would see a little more competition
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2010
1341 posts
854 upvotes
Waterloo
"I'm going to cancel my 6 gigs of data that almost no one can get anymore and go to another provider and pay twice as much just to give them the middle finger"
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3885 posts
666 upvotes
^^^^ Thats how you show them... Head to wind that will really show them !!!!
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14472 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
PressureBoom wrote: "I'm going to cancel my 6 gigs of data that almost no one can get anymore and go to another provider and pay twice as much just to give them the middle finger"
I'm trying to figure this move out too... If one were to remain on that plan month to month and if you wanted a new phone just either keep the old phone or buy a Nexus outright. Or is this driven by wanting a hardware upgrade or "free" subsidized phone and therefore having to signing up to a new crappy plan for 2 years. When my $34 month plan is up I'm certainly not signing up to any crappy plan to get a phone and end up paying for it by either losing data or higher monthly fees. I'd rather just stay on my old plan if at all possible and buy a generation old flagship for $300 or so.
Aug 21, 2011
468 posts
57 upvotes
But that's exactly what carriers want us to do. They have the average consumer so keyed up to get the latest and greatest in phone technology (which really hasn't changed all that much since the inception of the iPhone 3) that all anyone can think of is getting the "free" phone on a carrier subsidy. If someone can't afford a phone outright, I would speculate they probably don't need it for anything other than keeping up with the Jones'.

As for giving up my 6 GB of data...not in this lifetime.
=====================
Phone: OnePlus One.
Plan: 10 GB/$60
Feb 14, 2009
154 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
cartfan123 wrote: Enjoy. How are you planning to deal with the lack of removable battery given the 4 batteries you had for the s2? Perhaps the wireless charger might be a good addition if you tend to have it in an area for a length of time but not plugged in.
I needed extra batteries because the GS2x is a freakin' battery hog and is quite slow to recharge. The original battery turned to crap after about 9 months (wouldn't last more than 3-4 hours at best) so I got a bunch of cheap high-capacity Anker batteries (with charger) from Amazon as a backup for... $20, so no big loss. The N5 should last longer on a charge and I don't mind plugging my phone or use a Qi charging pad. At least with the N5 it's a real purchase and I get 2 years warranty (through credit card) so I'll be better covered should anything arise.
Feb 14, 2009
154 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
bembol wrote: I agree it's joke but Canadians ask for this, the 2-year contract.

Move on, you'll feel better about yourself.
It has nothing to do with the 2-year contracts, it's caused by the collusion and price-fixing of the oligopoly in place. Look at QC, SK and MB or even around Thunder Bay, where there is competition, prices are MUCH lower for MUCH better service. Weirdly enough, ROBELLUS doesn't see Wind as competition, otherwise they would have lowered their prices here too (GTA).
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1129 posts
525 upvotes
Corunna, ON
11thWarrior wrote: But that's exactly what carriers want us to do. They have the average consumer so keyed up to get the latest and greatest in phone technology (which really hasn't changed all that much since the inception of the iPhone 3) that all anyone can think of is getting the "free" phone on a carrier subsidy. If someone can't afford a phone outright, I would speculate they probably don't need it for anything other than keeping up with the Jones'.

As for giving up my 6 GB of data...not in this lifetime.
My problem is a function of the phone breaks in some way over the 2 years I own it. I'm a heavy user and something always breaks. Screen, speaker, headphone jack, camera, flash. Something. Always one thing is broken after about 1 year and a half to 2 years. I feel the cost to repair isn't worth it when I can sell the old phone and use that money to pay off the rest of my contract then get a new subed phone on contract for $100. I'm not leaving them anyway so why not sign. (As long as they agree to not take my 6 gigs away.)
Aug 21, 2011
468 posts
57 upvotes
proplayer44 wrote: My problem is a function of the phone breaks in some way over the 2 years I own it. I'm a heavy user and something always breaks. Screen, speaker, headphone jack, camera, flash. Something. Always one thing is broken after about 1 year and a half to 2 years. I feel the cost to repair isn't worth it when I can sell the old phone and use that money to pay off the rest of my contract then get a new subed phone on contract for $100. I'm not leaving them anyway so why not sign. (As long as they agree to not take my 6 gigs away.)
If you want the subsidized phone, you have to sign on to an in-market plan (usually). You're best to buy off-contract using a cc and benefit from the extra year warranty (if you have one that covers that). Forget the immediate gratification and think of total cost of ownership. As for your 6 gigs...you can probably kiss that goodbye when you re-sign unless you want to pay the going rate for it.
=====================
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1129 posts
525 upvotes
Corunna, ON
11thWarrior wrote: If you want the subsidized phone, you have to sign on to an in-market plan (usually). You're best to buy off-contract using a cc and benefit from the extra year warranty (if you have one that covers that). Forget the immediate gratification and think of total cost of ownership. As for your 6 gigs...you can probably kiss that goodbye when you re-sign unless you want to pay the going rate for it.
No i just got a new phone with a new 2 year plan I kept my 6 gig. Retentions made me add a $5 addon to my plan to get me to $70 a month.
Aug 21, 2011
468 posts
57 upvotes
proplayer44 wrote: No i just got a new phone with a new 2 year plan I kept my 6 gig. Retentions made me add a $5 addon to my plan to get me to $70 a month.
So you accepted a $120 increase to your contract for a free phone.
=====================
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3885 posts
666 upvotes
11thWarrior wrote: So you accepted a $120 increase to your contract for a free phone.
That would not be free.... He is paying 120 for the phone
Sep 19, 2009
686 posts
613 upvotes
Ottawa
shushwap wrote: That would not be free.... He is paying 120 for the phone
Not a bad deal then. Certainly better than paying $500+ to get a phone outright. He's happy with his 6 gig plan and intends on staying with his carrier for the foreseeable future.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1129 posts
525 upvotes
Corunna, ON
Yes the phone was about $600 new. I got it for $50.00, the LG G2. Plus Telus took my free texts to US away last year and since they said I had to add $5.00 to my plan I added 100 texts to US for $5.00. I'll continue to do this until it no longer makes sense financially. Then I'll buy a phone out right to attempt to keep my 6 gig. I assume there will be a change in the future where they tell you if you want this new "speed/ Technology" you have to give up the 6 gig. Like they did with the Unlimited data for $15 on CDMA when they changed to 3G. You want an Iphone, Oh sorry no more unlimited data for you.
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5680 upvotes
VANCOUVER
chukurific wrote: Not a bad deal then. Certainly better than paying $500+ to get a phone outright. He's happy with his 6 gig plan and intends on staying with his carrier for the foreseeable future.
Yup, that's my thinking too. In my case, my daughter has the Rogers 6GB super plan. After $10 credit, I'm paying $57 for that. So there is like a 99% chance she's going to stick with that plan for the next 2 years at least, given the fact that Wind and Mobi are not viable options for her, and there is really nothing in-market from the Big 3 that could match the plan. We've got tablets leeching off of the 6GB, so no way we are giving that up. So it's really a no-brainer to take a device. Why not, it's free if you're certain you're going to stay with the plan , right? I picked the best phone with the lowest initial outlay, which happens to be the G2 @ $0. Not the best of the best anymore, but still boasts impressive performance compared to the latest flagships.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
3756 posts
12 upvotes
im going to try my luck... is there a direct line for retention?
Paolo wrote:Why are they called the Olsen twins if they both have different last names? Mary Kate, and Ashley Olsen. Why are they not called the Kate Twins? or the Kate-Olsen twins? It's also fascinating how 2 kids from different parents looked identical and both played the role of baby michelle on full house and now 20 some years later, they still look identical.
THREE STARS AND A SUN
Mar 14, 2006
998 posts
579 upvotes
Coquitlam
Reading all the posts I was a little unsure what Telus would offer me when I called up today to see what they could offer me. I have 5 months left on my 3 year plan and a $65 tab still oweing on my Galaxy 2 and a $53 monthly plan with 300 local minutes, 1 GB data, voicemail call display, and my favorite 5 in Canada.

I called retentions and they offered me a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone for $80 ($180 less a $100 credit on my first months bill), waiving my old $63 tab, and a 2 year plan at $60 per month for 1GB and 350 minutes anywhere in Canada with voicemail and call display. My Galaxy 2 phone was under a personal plan but to get this $60 plan they converted it over to a business plan.........no difference to me as long as I could get a better deal.