• Jul 25th, 2014 8:59 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4702 posts
621 upvotes

Telus smartphone insurance $7/mo

I'm with Telus and I have a Not 3. I'm fairly certain my Note 3 is broken, The camera's video is wavy and hums while in use. The proximity sensor is damaged because the phone doesn't turn back on after finishing the call.

I've researched these problems and people have to told me that there is no software fix for these, and have recommended to have it replaced.

I pay $7/mo for the insurance, would that cover the replacement of the phone free of charge? And would they replace it with a new one or a refurbished one? I've had problems with refurbished phones.
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7675 posts
10978 upvotes
Scarbs
Here's what I'm seeing on their site, albeit at $6/m.
[QUOTE]2 years of unlimited mechanical and electrical malfunctions with no service charges[/QUOTE]

If they suspect that its due to physical/liquid damage, they'll charge you $50.

http://www.telus.com/en/on/mobility/ser ... vice-care/
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1733 posts
1761 upvotes
Markham, ON
xpoint9 wrote: I'm with Telus and I have a Not 3. I'm fairly certain my Note 3 is broken, The camera's video is wavy and hums while in use. The proximity sensor is damaged because the phone doesn't turn back on after finishing the call.

I've researched these problems and people have to told me that there is no software fix for these, and have recommended to have it replaced.

I pay $7/mo for the insurance, would that cover the replacement of the phone free of charge? And would they replace it with a new one or a refurbished one? I've had problems with refurbished phones.
I'm guessing your phone is under 1 year old, therefore would still be covered by manufacturer's warranty. You pay nothing to have your phone sent in for repair, replaced if they can't fix it.

The smartphone insurance will replace your phone with the same model phone, but you'll have to pay a deductible close to $200. You'll get a refurb Note 3.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
The phone warranty through carrier is a money grab scam. From the details I read on mine it was minimum $50-$80 if I sent it in. I just cancelled that part of the contract and lowered my bill by $8/month.

A flea market shop or Pacific mall could repair your phone for a lot less than $200 as well.

This is also the one thing kind of stopping me from putting custom roms and stuff on my note3 until the warranty is up...
Jan 30, 2013
522 posts
90 upvotes
Vancouver
You will have to pay a $150 deductible. You will receive a refurb note 3. If no refurbs are left, you will get a new one. They will not tell you before hand.