Expired Hot Deals

[Telus] TELUS 950/750 plus optic TV with PICK 6, $95, 2 years retention deal YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2019 11:54 am
[OP]
Jul 24, 2012
17 posts
33 upvotes
EDMONTON

[Telus] TELUS 950/750 plus optic TV with PICK 6, $95, 2 years retention deal YMMV

So Telus and Shaw have a little bit of a price and internet speed war in Alberta right now. Basically if you want the fastest speed and a pick 6 cable bundle for $95 you need to use it for your advantage. I called Telus retentions and said Shaw is offering me internet 600 and a pick 6 cable bundle for $92 on a rate guaranteed 2-year contract, if they ask how its because "my inlaws got that deal and shaw offered it to me if I was to switch over as well". this also works with Shaw because that's how I got my inlaws the same deal. I never actually personally had any real offers at that price but I knew those deals existed from an inside source. be prepared to be on hold for up to 2 hours to make it to retentions but retentions gave me no hassle or resistance as soon as I quoted the competing offer.

Edit:
most people's experience is that they are able to get a great deal and if not they call again and get a different rep
Last edited by orestd1 on Feb 3rd, 2019 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
287 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
1339 posts
1555 upvotes
This is only for a pilot area. 99.8% of Telus customers cannot get this
[OP]
Jul 24, 2012
17 posts
33 upvotes
EDMONTON
User381785 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 2:56 pm

The same deal works for whatever the best plan for your area I did the same thing a few months ago with the best speed was 150
Sep 20, 2016
75 posts
24 upvotes
Upvoted because I love these threads, but I wonder if the step where you wait on hold for an hour to ask your current provider to match something is even worth it.

I called Koodo so many times to be told that what I knew others were getting wasn't possible. Looking back it was so much easier to just switch providers.

Anyway, Telus is scheduled to run Fibre to my house in the next few weeks (they bring the wire to my house with no obligation to buy service for free because "they are in the area"). If they offer me something better than my current Shaw "150" plan, I will probably just jump ship without even talking to Shaw.

The reverse will be true later on when Shaw offers me something at the end of the Telus term :)

I had my 150 contract end in August and Shaw offered me $81 to renew when the rest of you were getting offers of $60 and the reason is (probably) because Telus offered Internet 25 in my area at the time. So I see no reason not to play the game in the most time efficient manner possible.
Oct 17, 2010
531 posts
256 upvotes
Vancouver
SuddenlyStalin wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 3:07 pm
Looking back it was so much easier to just switch providers.
That is so true. I buy my own phone and stay BYOD no contract. I can jump ship when i see a better deal. What a waste of time to call in and try to speak with 4 different reps and explain the situation 4 times to try to get a better deal your neighbour got.
Koodo $50.00 8gb S9+
Virgin Mobile $40 6gb S8+
Public Mobile $38 5gb iPhone 8+
Nov 1, 2015
271 posts
83 upvotes
BC
SuddenlyStalin wrote:
Upvoted because I love these threads, but I wonder if the step where you wait on hold for an hour to ask your current provider to match something is even worth it.

I called Koodo so many times to be told that what I knew others were getting wasn't possible. Looking back it was so much easier to just switch providers.

Anyway, Telus is scheduled to run Fibre to my house in the next few weeks (they bring the wire to my house with no obligation to buy service for free because "they are in the area"). If they offer me something better than my current Shaw "150" plan, I will probably just jump ship without even talking to Shaw.

The reverse will be true later on when Shaw offers me something at the end of the Telus term :)

I had my 150 contract end in August and Shaw offered me $81 to renew when the rest of you were getting offers of $60 and the reason is (probably) because Telus offered Internet 25 in my area at the time. So I see no reason not to play the game in the most time efficient manner possible.
Telus installed fibre to my house last year so we decided to go ahead with them and scheduled an install for the following week for the Pure 150 internet, TV, and Phone. 2 days later Shaw phones us and told us that they would upgrade us from 15 internet to 150 free of charge and that they would take $50 off our monthly bill to beat the Telus offer by an additional 10%. It was a no brainer so we stayed with Shaw.
Aug 9, 2017
34 posts
31 upvotes
User381785 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 2:56 pm
Telus released 750/750 and 950/750 to all customers where PureFibre is available.
Oct 4, 2005
156 posts
65 upvotes
SuddenlyStalin wrote:

I have a similar experience with Koodo and ported out. I have had sinilae experience with Shaw . It was always a fight with them and the last time was when the rep downgraded all my services and called it a deal. This prompted me to switch to Telus.

Telus on the ither hand I have never had an issue getting a deal. At a minimum if you can show them an offer they will match it. Even if you are under a contract they will give you a promo and encourage me to call back when my promo ends to see what is available at the time.

With koodo I sometimes wonder if its because they outsource to a foreign country for their call center so the reps just either dont understand or just simply dont care.
Last edited by Phaelen on Dec 8th, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
1339 posts
1555 upvotes
InvalidDeal wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 3:31 pm
Telus released 750/750 and 950/750 to all customers where PureFibre is available.
Wrong.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2623 posts
1116 upvotes
User381785 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 3:38 pm
Wrong.
This is the add Telus is pushing for Fibre accross BC/AB
Up to 950 Mbps download and 750 Mbps upload speeds

1000 GB monthly data
and of course it wouldn't be Telus without the following:
$115/mo.

For the first 24 months, and $150/mo. thereafter
Nov 18, 2017
127 posts
77 upvotes
InvalidDeal wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 3:31 pm
I checked my address, I have 300/300 right now and it doesn't show 750/750 or 950/750 so not sure this statement is true.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3539 posts
2203 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Thanks OP. If I didn't see your post, I wouldn't realize Telus upgraded the neighborhood to PureFibre with 1gigabit internet.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
2110 posts
248 upvotes
North Vancouver
How do you make sure it goes to retentions? Telus used to have a cancel option in IVR system but in the past 1 year it disappeared.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
1322 posts
705 upvotes
Calgary
If Telus gave me this offer I would jump to them but as a Shaw TV and third party reseller internet customer, my experience about a month ago was that I could not get these deals. They only seemed keen to give it to existing customers who were threatening to jump to Shaw. Just my experience...
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
1339 posts
1555 upvotes
MMMM wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 8:42 pm
This is the add Telus is pushing for Fibre accross BC/AB

and of course it wouldn't be Telus without the following:
There is no add. These speeds have just been introduced to pilot communities who started pure fibre and is ONLY available to them. Even if you have access to Telus fibre, only a select group of them can get this offer.
This is less than YMMV and shouldn't be here