Expired Hot Deals

[Telus] Telus PikTV is now only $10!! (BC / AB only)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2018 3:45 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2006
1935 posts
1725 upvotes
Calgary
darkesha wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 12:31 am
What is advantage of this vs. Optik service ? No contract ? Better bundling ? I mean if there is no PVR capabilities and allows you to watch a network stream of a particular channel, that's pretty much what any android box can do. Sure you don't get the stream from the actual provider, but you get the same service for free.
I also think I can hook it up to the XBOX one and use that as a DVR...
May 28, 2016
260 posts
67 upvotes
can anyone install antutu, so we know the spec of the hardware?
Jul 2, 2016
103 posts
24 upvotes
LeafsWillWin wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 12:17 am
Does anyone know how this box compares to a raspberry pi 3 and kodi? I would probably only use this pik tv box with kodi and it's only $25. Could you hook up a keyboard to the USB slot? There looks to be only 1 USB port. And less than 8 gb of memory.
Yes you can put keyboard but mouse won't work (no mouse cursor/arrow), so your only option is using the keys so pretty useless. I'm using logitech K400 for this for entering text/numbers. As for the storage, there's only 5GB of storage available for use. So you may need USB hub if you want to use extra storage and keyboard.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2013
1294 posts
1103 upvotes
Vancouver
theboschman wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 12:24 am
Also... how easy is it to change channels later on? Am I stuck with these 5 forever?
It can be changed once per month. Make sure you select the right 5 channels at the start or you will be stuck with them for the first month.
Mar 5, 2016
119 posts
141 upvotes
YYC
I have been using PIK TV for the last 4 months... It is an amazing service when you have a preference for a small number of channels and cannot stand to surf more than 150+ useless channels.

I have Kodi installed on the box and use it extensively everyday. I also use Kodi to connect to my Plex server and the connection is seamless. There is no lag or stuttering while streaming through Kodi given that I use wifi instead of the hardlines. The USB port is useful for connecting drives or sticks occasionally to install stuff.. the Bluetooth game controller works flawlessly for all the Android games..

I was told that you cannot use multiple boxes on the same account. OP can you clarify whether this has changed? Then I can go but one more box for the second tv
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2013
1294 posts
1103 upvotes
Vancouver
arvindhraman wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 5:33 am
I have been using PIK TV for the last 4 months... It is an amazing service when you have a preference for a small number of channels and cannot stand to surf more than 150+ useless channels.

I have Kodi installed on the box and use it extensively everyday. I also use Kodi to connect to my Plex server and the connection is seamless. There is no lag or stuttering while streaming through Kodi given that I use wifi instead of the hardlines. The USB port is useful for connecting drives or sticks occasionally to install stuff.. the Bluetooth game controller works flawlessly for all the Android games..

I was told that you cannot use multiple boxes on the same account. OP can you clarify whether this has changed? Then I can go but one more box for the second tv
Good to hear you're enjoying it! I can't wait to use mine.

From the PikTV faq session I recall that they did mention you can buy another box at London Drugs for $100 to run on another TV just by logging in to your account. The PikTV box isn't actually connected to your account, you just login and they make sure the ip information matches. The OneSource does state that only one box per account though.
Feb 11, 2017
3 posts
How long will it take to get credit? I tried to order online but could not find about credit in my order summary. Also if i discontinue the service do i have to return the box and get refund? If not can e use it as kodi box?
Jul 29, 2007
568 posts
273 upvotes
North America
Just wondering, what's the cheapest package deal for TELUS that's comparable to CIK that I am using now? I have all 3 services from CIK and the service isn't as good as I like it to be, I have been with them for a couple of years and I think it's time to switch back to TELUS. Is it Internet 25, PikTV, and home phone? I am paying $60+tax for all three now. For PIKTV, how many boxes do you get?
Thank you RFD community for helping me with spending money, I feel so poor now!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2013
1294 posts
1103 upvotes
Vancouver
Saltywetguy wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 2:37 pm
Just wondering, what's the cheapest package deal for TELUS that's comparable to CIK that I am using now? I have all 3 services from CIK and the service isn't as good as I like it to be, I have been with them for a couple of years and I think it's time to switch back to TELUS. Is it Internet 25, PikTV, and home phone? I am paying $60+tax for all three now. For PIKTV, how many boxes do you get?
You only get one box for PikTV. The home phone is not included. Look into wireless home phone if you are looking to add home phone to your package.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2002
4600 posts
1014 upvotes
Vancouver
looking to perhaps cancel optik tv and switch to Pik; how much is pik a month?
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
1537 posts
97 upvotes
hesp wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 3:04 pm
looking to perhaps cancel optik tv and switch to Pik; how much is pik a month?
$10... I'm pretty sure it's right in the OP.
Feb 3, 2008
567 posts
99 upvotes
GTA
plucky duck wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 10:39 pm
My credits were applied directly to the account same day. $25 for the box and $10/month plus $15/month for the Asian channels were a no brainer for me. The service has been very reliable, and updates to the box comes often. No contract to boot. Very good value for the money IMO.
Is there on-demand for the Asian channels? Thinking of getting this for my folks who are really used to the PVR functionality on Optik but would be a deal killer if they didn't have this for all the Asian content...

I notice there's also channels on Optik that I can't find yet on the Pik selection - the HiFi HD Pack on Optik has BBC Earth, HIFI, Love Nature, and Smithsonian that don't exist on Pik?
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.

Ebay 71-0
Heatware 3-0 FS
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
1537 posts
97 upvotes
Question: my wife and I are perfect use-case for Pik TV except we sometimes miss the timeslot for a show so we PVR it and watch later. We've noticed that occasionally there are shows we can't find OnDemand.

Is every show aired on TELUS Optik supposed to be available OnDemand?

Shows would be from a variety of networks:
CW (CTV/Global mostly has them)
W Network
Space
AMC
etc

If my wife missed her Outlander I would literally die (because she would murder me). Face With Tears Of Joy

edit: +1 to what poster above me is asking: TL;dr are all shows available OnDemand?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2013
1294 posts
1103 upvotes
Vancouver
etherboy wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 3:10 pm
Question: my wife and I are perfect use-case for Pik TV except we sometimes miss the timeslot for a show so we PVR it and watch later. We've noticed that occasionally there are shows we can't find OnDemand.

Is every show aired on TELUS Optik supposed to be available OnDemand?

Shows would be from a variety of networks:
CW (CTV/Global mostly has them)
W Network
Space
AMC
etc

If my wife missed her Outlander I would literally die (because she would murder me). Face With Tears Of Joy

edit: +1 to what poster above me is asking: TL;dr are all shows available OnDemand?
Not all shows available on OptikTV OnDemand are available on PikTV. However from the list there I'm pretty sure all those shows are available on PikTV OnDemand. Maybe someone can confirm because I haven't gotten mine set up yet.