Cell Phones

Telus Unlocking Fee Increase - way to opt out of existing contract?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2015 1:49 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
5744 posts
5510 upvotes
Toronto

Telus Unlocking Fee Increase - way to opt out of existing contract?

Was looking at my eBill today, and saw this in the fine print:
Device Unlocking Fee Increase
Effective July 1, 2015, the current one-time device unlock fee of $35 will be increased to $50. If you do not agree with this change, you may cancel service
within thirty days of the date the change becomes effective.
If you do not cancel service in that time, the price change will become effective without further
notice. To learn more about device unlocking, visit telus.com/deviceunlock
Does this really mean what it says?

Also, for any other Telus customers, where in the world do you check your existing contract status? I would like to know how many months I have left on my contract, but cannot find it anywhere in the Telus Mobility site.

Thanks in advance.
37 replies
Sep 20, 2014
247 posts
30 upvotes
Ontario
Following this. I would be interested in cancelling and getting some upgrades to iPhone 6/Galaxy S6 ;)

Sucks that Telus is doing this to their customers. One of the things I liked about them was their cheaper unlocking fee. Never any competition. Bell and Rogers charge $50 so we can too - that is their mentality now. "Your choice" "Its all about you" all of that advertisement is bs.

Anyways, to check your device balance

1) Log into your Telus my account from www.telusmobility.com
2) Click on "View your plan and add ons" on the device you want to check the balance of
3) Scroll to the bottom of the page and it will be there

See attached screenshots
http://prntscr.com/7nk8fr
http://prntscr.com/7nk8nc
Jan 29, 2013
388 posts
373 upvotes
toronto
I have telus corporate plan. i just saw my this month ebill, I dont have that notice. Otherwise its perfect time to switch if you are looking.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
Good move by Telus to allow customers to cancel (I assume without penalties) for a service that is optional!
Penalty Box
Jul 28, 2010
577 posts
127 upvotes
You sure can cancel. Just pay your device balance. You can also do this at anytime with any company.
Sep 20, 2014
247 posts
30 upvotes
Ontario
Yeah i'm not seeing it either. On the telus site still says $35 to unlock. Will see when I get this month's eBill.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
Lazy decision by Telus. They have been leading on lowest churn and highest new activations, why increase the fee if your customers are staying? Maybe with the increase, they will look into the option of waiving unlocking fees at the end of your contract if you renew again (which would be reasonable). Next thing you know they will re-introduce unlock fees.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Oct 25, 2014
49 posts
36 upvotes
Nepean, ON
“TELUS will be increasing its device unlock fee to $50 effective July 7. We apologize for the inconvenience but made the change because the cost to provide this service is higher than we originally anticipated.”
Images
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2009
2470 posts
3647 upvotes
Quebec
Super hot,bought 2!!!
Thanks OP
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2006
5313 posts
2518 upvotes
Winnipeg
The change from 3 yr contracts is costing us more than we think. Higher plan costs, higher upfront costs.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
conects wrote: “TELUS will be increasing its device unlock fee to $50 effective July 7. We apologize for the inconvenience but made the change because the cost to provide this service is higher than we originally anticipated.”
LOL, it's alright, I'll just get an unlock code on Ebay for $4.99 where they don't have a $46 CEO surcharge.

What a joke.
May 19, 2013
409 posts
4549 upvotes
Vaughan
Canadian telecom competition at work.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2010
6254 posts
3216 upvotes
Abbottabad
Just don't buy a subsidized phone you fools.
Sep 23, 2013
654 posts
809 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
So tired of ungrateful folks that seem to plague any rfd thread that doesnt offer 99% off. Why do u click on the link then? I find this hot cuz i need to unlock my phone before my trip south and i feel more comfortable with a carrier unlock. Thank OP.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
hartzfizzo wrote: So tired of ungrateful folks that seem to plague any rfd thread that doesnt offer 99% off. Why do u click on the link then? I find this hot cuz i need to unlock my phone before my trip south and i feel more comfortable with a carrier unlock. Thank OP.
Well that's your problem with not trusting other sources. The rest of us who actually look for deals and don't need to line the pockets of multi-millionaires and billionaires will continue to get our phones unlocked at a reasonable prices, except for maybe the iPhone.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2162 posts
965 upvotes
Victoria
vkizzle wrote: Good move by Telus to allow customers to cancel (I assume without penalties) for a service that is optional!
They are legally required to. Mind you, Rogers ignores their legal responsibilities so Telus is making a good move compared to them.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)