Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 6, 2011
12 posts
1 upvote
LETHBRIDGE

Telus vs Shaw

Hot deal Telus till Feb 4th $30 internet and TV for 6 months then $68. Anyone close to Telus have info on this deal?
20 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
297 upvotes
New Westminster
beware of thier contracts. they have terrible customer service but quality TV and internet but at times i wanted to get out of my contract so bad it drove me mad because of their billing mishaps and crap. Better to rent the boxes and buy them if you decide you really like them than sign a contract for 2-3 years. 1 year doesn't give you a free pvr rental so... Only good thing i can say is if you do have issues and they give you crap someone down the line will offer you better prices for the trouble - at least they have for me but god the messes they put me through!!

Again the Optic TV is great and much better than what i had with Shaw years ago and i have no complaints with internet especially since they aren't monitoring my usage so cant charge me for overages!! just found that out :)
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
297 upvotes
New Westminster
HandsomeRob wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2013 5:17 pm
Terrible customer service
Epic fails in the billing department
Lame advertising
Unstable service delivered
S%#!!* contracts
unstable service delivered? that's too bad.. I've had pretty good product service overall especially compared to my Shaw days. in 5 years i have only lost Internet and TV a handful of times not counting power outages. less if i leave TV out of it. advertizing is ok with the animals :) i agree with the other 2 though but i pay now 16.95 for phone with 3 features, 25mg internet - 25$ (though they take away some for TV) and i think 81$ or 86$ for TV with Movie central inc - all total my monthly bill is under 125$ and i have almost everything but sports and the new MGM channels.
When i get mad i consider Shaw but they don't have the Cartoon Network and i do like some of the DC series on it.
Jan 20, 2013
149 posts
13 upvotes
Keas wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2013 10:13 pm
advertizing is ok with the animals :)
I find it funny they are still using the hippo that was actually found while they using to be there mascot to be living in such crammed, small, unfit quarters was so inhumane the vancouver zoo was charged by the spca because if it.
Jan 13, 2013
243 posts
23 upvotes
Edmonton
IMO TELUS has the best customer service and there has never been any errors on my bill. -I'm not on contract.
I have Optik Internet High Speed Turbo; they advertise the monthly usage limit as 500GB and the download speed as 25mbps. When I asked them how can I check my usage, they said: we don't track it, you can use as much as you want and if there's a problem with your usage, we'll contact you (I've used over 1TB some months and nothing happened) and I also get 33mbps download speed. If this is lame advertising, I WISH EVERY COMPANY IN THE WORLD DID THAT!
Deal Addict
May 18, 2012
1910 posts
119 upvotes
Keas wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2013 10:13 pm
unstable service delivered? that's too bad.. I've had pretty good product service overall especially compared to my Shaw days. in 5 years i have only lost Internet and TV a handful of times not counting power outages. less if i leave TV out of it. advertizing is ok with the animals :) i agree with the other 2 though but i pay now 16.95 for phone with 3 features, 25mg internet - 25$ (though they take away some for TV) and i think 81$ or 86$ for TV with Movie central inc - all total my monthly bill is under 125$ and i have almost everything but sports and the new MGM channels.
When i get mad i consider Shaw but they don't have the Cartoon Network and i do like some of the DC series on it.
$115.

-Broadband 50 (Never less than 40 down)
-Basic TV + Time Shift + All 3 entertainment bundles.
-Phone would be ten bucks more if I wanted it.

On course for one 4 outages/decade as opposed to my experience with Telus 4 outages per year. No nightly ADSL slowdowns, Optik customers complaining about unwatchable television due to proximity to infrastructure that they're still under contract for and have to haggle to get out of. I will say Telus Internet never robbed me the way Telus Mobility did, but I'd rather use Delta cable than give another penny to Telus. I'd rather use AOL dial up.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2640 upvotes
Vancouver
I've had both Telus and Shaw service at a couple of locations around Vancouver, and it varies over time as to which has the best performance in any particular neighbourhood. The only consistency is for me is that Telus Customer Service is much quicker to get on the phone than Shaw. However you might as well be calling the pizza delivery place for all the use they are after you wade through the voice menus to talk to them. And you may be calling them a lot, because Telus screws up the administration and billing a lot more than Shaw. I dread having to make any changes with Telus, because in my experience they screw it up more often than not.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1068 posts
136 upvotes
JamesA1 wrote:
Feb 4th, 2013 9:48 am
I've had both Telus and Shaw service at a couple of locations around Vancouver, and it varies over time as to which has the best performance in any particular neighbourhood. The only consistency is for me is that Telus Customer Service is much quicker to get on the phone than Shaw. However you might as well be calling the pizza delivery place for all the use they are after you wade through the voice menus to talk to them. And you may be calling them a lot, because Telus screws up the administration and billing a lot more than Shaw. I dread having to make any changes with Telus, because in my experience they screw it up more often than not.
Not if you connect to the Shaw Cantonese speaking section. It takes less than 5 minutes. You can then speak in English cause they all speak perfect English. :D
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
3639 posts
106 upvotes
Edmonton
I think it's easier to get deals with Telus which makes them a cheaper option overall, but they are also more incompetent in my experience. Shaw has been more expensive overall since it's hard to get retention deals with them, but service wise I haven't had any complaints.

I got Telus Optik at my condo free for a year when I moved in and it worked great. When I called in at the end of the year to negotiate a deal and extend, everything seemed fine. But they ended up disconnecting my tv and having to send a tech to reconnect me. The tech missed 2 appointments over 2 weekends and on the third weekend, finally reconnected me, but none of my packages were working. I called in to get the packages fixed, and was informed that they needed to send a tech again to reboot and activate the box, and they wouldn't let me do it over the phone (it consists of turning off the box and then punching in some numbers). So it took 4 weekends for them to get my tv working again, when it was already working and I asked for no changes from my previous service. Then I started receiving the bills which were charging me regular price. So I call in again, the CSR sees the discounts I negotiated in the notes of my contract and says she will fix it. Next bill comes, some of the discounts are applied, but not all of them, so I have to call in again. They were honestly easier to work with when they were giving me free service, when it came to actually paying them, it was completely messed up.

Eventually I decided to disconnect the service after all the grief. I was warned by basically everyone I knew that Telus would conveniently "lose" the hardware return and try to charge a few hundred bucks for it. So I made sure to get a certified confirmation of delivery printed by Canada Post. Sure enough, they called me 4 months after I returned the hardware (Canada Post only keeps the tracking info online for 3 months) and claimed I never sent my hardware back. Luckily I was able to shut that down pretty quickly by faxing them my confirmation of delivery. Anyways, ended up being a lot of grief. No amount of discounts is worth the time I wasted.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1299 posts
90 upvotes
My personal experience in the New West area: Switched from Shaw to Telus about 1 year ago (Dec 2011). Telus ping times are good, but it takes ages download large files. For example, downloading a custom Android ROM (~300MB) took about 2 hours. Youtube always stutters, even on 360p or 240p. Tried this with different computers/tablets and everything. But when I do a speedtest, it's around 8Mbps, which should be acceptable.

I'd leave Telus in a heartbeat, but they continue to extend my promo.

Oh, and a huge YMMV. Your experience be different than mine.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
297 upvotes
New Westminster
kitty wrote:
Feb 4th, 2013 12:40 pm
My personal experience in the New West area: Switched from Shaw to Telus about 1 year ago (Dec 2011). Telus ping times are good, but it takes ages download large files. For example, downloading a custom Android ROM (~300MB) took about 2 hours. Youtube always stutters, even on 360p or 240p. Tried this with different computers/tablets and everything. But when I do a speedtest, it's around 8Mbps, which should be acceptable.

I'd leave Telus in a heartbeat, but they continue to extend my promo.

Oh, and a huge YMMV. Your experience be different than mine.
sometimes i run into sites that give me poor download speeds but not that often though. utube and others i don't have much problem with but honestly i am not a big watcher of these... i do plan on trying more online content for movies and such so hope i don't find your problems. I'm kind of scared to go back to Shaw since i hated watching some HD with them- seems like anything moving fast would get pixelated and blurred at same time and i like action movies and tv shows so it was horrible at times. They came out several times and put boosters on my cable line and stuff but finally a tech guy said it was because the way they were sending the signal which no one else would confirm.

You don't have contracts with Shaw but if you want the best pvr box you either have to pay outright for it or sign up for 36 monthly payments which to me is basically a 3 year contract. They have recently sent me an offer for a decent price but i really hate the idea of having to buy that box!
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1299 posts
90 upvotes
Keas wrote:
Feb 4th, 2013 2:48 pm
sometimes i run into sites that give me poor download speeds but not that often though. utube and others i don't have much problem with but honestly i am not a big watcher of these... i do plan on trying more online content for movies and such so hope i don't find your problems. I'm kind of scared to go back to Shaw since i hated watching some HD with them- seems like anything moving fast would get pixelated and blurred at same time and i like action movies and tv shows so it was horrible at times. They came out several times and put boosters on my cable line and stuff but finally a tech guy said it was because the way they were sending the signal which no one else would confirm.

You don't have contracts with Shaw but if you want the best pvr box you either have to pay outright for it or sign up for 36 monthly payments which to me is basically a 3 year contract. They have recently sent me an offer for a decent price but i really hate the idea of having to buy that box!
I always buy the boxes, usually on Boxing Day. I have one Telus box (HD STB) and one Shaw box (Motorola 6200), and then switch back and forth. I use MythTV as a PVR, so I don't need the boxes to be very fancy or the latest model.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
297 upvotes
New Westminster
kitty wrote:
Feb 5th, 2013 3:24 am
I always buy the boxes, usually on Boxing Day. I have one Telus box (HD STB) and one Shaw box (Motorola 6200), and then switch back and forth. I use MythTV as a PVR, so I don't need the boxes to be very fancy or the latest model.
how many shows can you record at same time with that PVR? the Shaw one can do 6 (or so it says) and the Telus one can do 3 which i hope they get better because sometimes i like to record 4-5.
× < >