Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[Telus] waiving device balance - YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2015 10:14 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
3499 posts
1688 upvotes
Mississauga
slayerwulf wrote: If you got the $55 6gb business plan same as me ne you only need $60 plan to qualify. I added visual voicemail.
I'm just a regular customer who made a call to their retentions (or "loyalty") department a couple years ago when the iPhone 5 came out.

All you needed back then was a minimum $50 on your account and you were good to go. $30 of my plan actually just goes towards data (6 GB). Nowadays, you'd be lucky to get a deal on 1 GB data plan if you're new customer.

That said, I would like to get an iPhone 6 one day but not if it means I have pay another $20 per month to do so.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1028 upvotes
Toronto
Franchise10 wrote: So just to confirm this is only for people whose plans are coming due in 2015 and are on three year plans? Are you all finding this under your offers section of the upgrade/renew section on the Telus website?
We dont know for sure. I signed my 2 year in nov '13 and it doesn't work for me.

**just to clarify, if you are under a 3 year term, you are only obligated to fulfill 2 years of that term, beginning in june
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2588 posts
2052 upvotes
Clarington
slayerwulf wrote: If you got the $55 6gb business plan same as me ne you only need $60 plan to qualify. I added visual voicemail.
Why only $60/month to qualify? I'm on a small business plan - $55/month 6gb.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
6324 posts
3870 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
So I currently show 15 months left as I got a late 3 years... So if I am reading this correct then come June I can walk from my contract and just pay the balance owing on my device?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1028 upvotes
Toronto
ChicoQuente wrote: So I currently show 15 months left as I got a late 3 years... So if I am reading this correct then come June I can walk from my contract and just pay the balance owing on my device?
Correct.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
6324 posts
3870 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
That's awesome. I had absolutely no idea
Aug 18, 2009
450 posts
218 upvotes
Barrie
tsimpson76 wrote: Telus made 2 year contracts available in July 2013. There are still people like myself that have 3 year contracts that won't expire until 2016.
Not true, I'm about to finish my 2 year contract in the first week of April.
Apr 8, 2009
560 posts
184 upvotes
B.C
hitman_24 wrote: Nope, this applies to you as well. You may cancel anytime after the 2 year mark starting June 2015

Also, they used to have 1,2 or 3 year terms long before 2013
I have one line on three years contract (Wind) . From Jan, 2013 to Jan, 2016.
So ... How is going to apply to my contract? Thnx.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1028 upvotes
Toronto
petert wrote: I have one line on three years contract (Wind) . From Jan, 2013 to Jan, 2016.
So ... How is going to apply to my contract? Thnx.
Must I do the math for you?

You have already passed 2 years. Come June 2015 you can back out of the rest of your contract without penalty,
if you don't back out your contract/plan will expire as per the contract
Dec 28, 2007
567 posts
260 upvotes
Ottawa
$60 minimum requirement is for business accounts only. Regular accounts require the $70/month plan for any of the higher end devices. Only exceptions might be Saskatchewan for this.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1028 upvotes
Toronto
cash_717 wrote: $60 minimum requirement is for business accounts only. Regular accounts require the $70/month plan for any of the higher end devices. Only exceptions might be Saskatchewan for this.
Damn, it was $50 when I signed my deal in Nov '13

There's no way I'm ever paying $70 a month for a plan
Nov 10, 2011
203 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
steeped wrote: Wait... iPhone 6 for $200.00 on a 2 year term?

I just paid $265 for the iPhone 6.

Also, Wind did the same thing for me. They wiped my tab clean 3 months early for "early upgrades". I jumped ship to Telus right away.
when was your wind tab suppose to end? i have a line with 2 months left and my tab hasn't been wiped like yours..
Apr 8, 2009
560 posts
184 upvotes
B.C
hitman_24 wrote: Must I do the math for you?

You have already passed 2 years. Come June 2015 you can back out of the rest of your contract without penalty,
if you don't back out your contract/plan will expire as per the contract
No. I meant the balance of the subsidized phone. That's what I like to know.
I know contract will be void if you pay off the balance, no need to wait any month at all. I do this all time.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1028 upvotes
Toronto
petert wrote: No. I meant the balance of the subsidized phone. That's what I like to know.
I know contract will be void if you pay off the balance, no need to wait any month at all. I do this all time.
*without penalty, is in regards to early cancelation fees. You would have to fulfill your contract, or pay off your device balance to keep your phone
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
3541 posts
3864 upvotes
Montreal
Ya they are letting me renew and removing my device balance which there are 9 months left. The new plans suck though big time.. what's better? Renew with Telus and get Note 4 for $200 and get a $70 plan or buy Note 4 for $800 and get BYOD with Fido for $45 a month?
Oct 5, 2002
549 posts
262 upvotes
I am on a 3 year contract expiring in Oct 2015. My current device balance is $130. I logged into my Telus account and did not see any messages or "exclusive offers" about the device balance being waived. But when you go through the motions of choosing a new phone and renewing existing account, there is a screen that pops up that clearly indicates that the device balance will not be charged to your account and tells you how much you are saving. My current plan is $55 and I got a message in the middle of the process that in order for me to get the Iphone 6, I could keep my existing plan but I needed to add $15 more of various add-on options to hit the minimum $70 monthly fee requirement.
Dec 22, 2013
930 posts
223 upvotes
EDMONTON
hitman_24 wrote: Nope, this applies to you as well. You may cancel anytime after the 2 year mark starting June 2015
Interesting, thanks.
hitman_24 wrote: Also, they used to have 1,2 or 3 year terms long before 2013
Then you would also know that the phone prices were so exorbitantly high that they might as well have not offered them. i.e. $50 discount for 1 year, $100 for 2 year, $500 for 3 year. It was better to buy outright if you didn't want a 3 year contract.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1028 upvotes
Toronto
tsimpson76 wrote:

Then you would also know that the phone prices were so exorbitantly high that they might as well have not offered them. i.e. $50 discount for 1 year, $100 for 2 year, $500 for 3 year. It was better to buy outright if you didn't want a 3 year contract.
I was making the point that 2 year contracts have always existed, and not just since the date you posted
Aug 1, 2014
84 posts
15 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
I upgraded from a 2 year contract with 7 months and $120 remaining today for free. I hadn't had any messages or offers letting me know this was available, and didn't ask any questions in case it was a mistake! I got a Moto X with an old $45 plan for just the device fee of $50.