Tags:
None
Nov 2, 2014
6 posts
1 upvote
North York, ON

Telus/Wind/Koodo/Speakout/Virgin at Waterloo/Kitchener

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a monthly or prepaid (leaning towards prepaid, though) for school at Waterloo next year. Hoping to pay under $25/month.

- never had a data plan on my smartphone before so I'm not too sure how much I would need. I would just like it for light Whatsapp use, checking emails, google maps.
- would have wifi at home and school
- not sure about the coverage of some of these smaller companies up in Waterloo
- cellphone will be acting like a home phone as well

- TELUS has a $20/month prepaid plan for 100mb (is that alot?) data plus unlimited texts OR $20/month for unlimited weekend calls and texts , no voice plan but calls are $0.15/min
- VIRGIN MOBILE has a $22.50/month prepaid (after 10% automatic top up discount) with unlimited evening and weekends, and unlimited texts
- WIND and MOBILICITY, PUBLIC MOBILE both have $25/month for unlimited calls and texts --> I am unsure of the reception in Waterloo, though
- SPEAKOUT has $20/month for 100mins and unlimited texts
- Does anybody know if phone plans from Costco are cheaper?

Should I be expecting better deals around Christmas time? I know I've already missed back to school deals....

THanks!!
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
I would say Public Mobile as well. They're owned by Telus now so you get the benefit of Bell/Telus reception.

$25/month plan for unlimited Canada wide talk and text. As for data, you can buy data addons in 500mb and 1GB packages for $20 and $30 respectively and they don't expire. They last until you use them up.

100mb is nothing. If you browse sites on it at all, I think you'd use it up in a week. Google Maps uses quite a bit of data too if you drive around a lot.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
Wow 25$ for unlimited talk text Canada wide is pretty damn good. Too bad they don't offer data.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
You can easily get by with 100 Mbytes if all you do is receive email, have IM conversations, send or receive the occasional photo, and browse a couple of web sites. People who say you can't have no clue how to conserve data usage. You just have to avoid a few unexpected data hogs, and limit your optional activities to when you are in WiFi coverage. It's just a question of your habits in how you use mobile data.

Make sure you restrict background data usage by apps that don't need it. Use a web browser that conserves data usage (like Opera). Don't keep checking Google Maps because it does a huge update every time - learn how to cache your maps and use them offline.
Nov 2, 2014
6 posts
1 upvote
North York, ON
Thanks for the help! Seems like the consensus is for Public Mobile over Mobilicity because it's owned by Telus. That's probably what I'll end up going with.
Nov 2, 2014
6 posts
1 upvote
North York, ON
Dave- I'm not sure why I can't find this as an add-on the on site?

Dave98 wrote: I would say Public Mobile as well. They're owned by Telus now so you get the benefit of Bell/Telus reception.

$25/month plan for unlimited Canada wide talk and text. As for data, you can buy data addons in 500mb and 1GB packages for $20 and $30 respectively and they don't expire. They last until you use them up.

100mb is nothing. If you browse sites on it at all, I think you'd use it up in a week. Google Maps uses quite a bit of data too if you drive around a lot.
Nov 2, 2014
6 posts
1 upvote
North York, ON
Seems like the option for adding data isn't available for new Public Mobile users. Koodo (prepaid) has $25 for unlimited texting and unlimited local calls after 7pm and weekends. Not as good but apparently their add ons (inc. data) roll over to the next month if unused.

Does anybody know how Koodo reception is in Kitchener/Waterloo area?

Thanks again!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
The option for data addons should still be available with Public Mobile. I think they just don't like to advertise the fact that they do to get people to sign up to one of their other sub-brands. I signed up a family member only a few weeks ago.

You first have to order a free sim card here
https://public-mobile.myshopify.com/col ... /sim-cards

Then once you receive it, you activate it online and during the sign up process, you will get the data options like everyone else.

Koodo is not a bad option either since they are also a Telus sub-brand, just like Public Mobile is. They all run under the same network and therefore will have the same reception and signal coverage.

Make sure you have an unlocked phone or at least, one that is Telus locked if you plan to go with either of the following; Telus, Koodo, Public Mobile.

Virgin is Bell
Fido is Rogers

Wind and Mobilicity are AWS networks which means you need a phone compatible with that.
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11338 posts
5527 upvotes
Vaughan
Does it mean Telus phone set work with Public and Koodoo? I have Nokia 610 Telus, no need to unlock?.
Dave98 wrote: The option for data addons should still be available with Public Mobile. I think they just don't like to advertise the fact that they do to get people to sign up to one of their other sub-brands. I signed up a family member only a few weeks ago.

Then once you receive it, you activate it online and during the sign up process, you will get the data options like everyone else.

Koodo is not a bad option either since they are also a Telus sub-brand, just like Public Mobile is. They all run under the same network and therefore will have the same reception and signal coverage.

Make sure you have an unlocked phone or at least, one that is Telus locked if you plan to go with either of the following; Telus, Koodo, Public Mobile.

Virgin is Bell
Fido is Rogers

Wind and Mobilicity are AWS networks which means you need a phone compatible with that.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
teoconca wrote: Does it mean Telus phone set work with Public and Koodoo? I have Nokia 610 Telus, no need to unlock?.
No need to unlock. If it works on Telus then it will work on Public/Koodo
Nov 2, 2014
6 posts
1 upvote
North York, ON
Dave98 wrote: The option for data addons should still be available with Public Mobile. I think they just don't like to advertise the fact that they do to get people to sign up to one of their other sub-brands. I signed up a family member only a few weeks ago.

Virgin is Bell
Fido is Rogers

Awesome, just ordered :)
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2609 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Solsearchin1 wrote: Wow 25$ for unlimited talk text Canada wide is pretty damn good. Too bad they don't offer data.
They do offer data.
$40/month includes unlimited calling, sms and data. (+all the standard stuff.. VM, CID).
Nov 2, 2014
6 posts
1 upvote
North York, ON
Not sure if I should go ahead with this now or wait until Christmas deals? Will it even get cheaper than $25/month?- unlim calls & texts?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
callalily wrote: Hey guys,

I'm looking for a monthly or prepaid (leaning towards prepaid, though) for school at Waterloo next year. Hoping to pay under $25/month.

- never had a data plan on my smartphone before so I'm not too sure how much I would need. I would just like it for light Whatsapp use, checking emails, google maps.
- would have wifi at home and school
- not sure about the coverage of some of these smaller companies up in Waterloo
- cellphone will be acting like a home phone as well

- TELUS has a $20/month prepaid plan for 100mb (is that alot?) data plus unlimited texts OR $20/month for unlimited weekend calls and texts , no voice plan but calls are $0.15/min
- VIRGIN MOBILE has a $22.50/month prepaid (after 10% automatic top up discount) with unlimited evening and weekends, and unlimited texts
- WIND and MOBILICITY, PUBLIC MOBILE both have $25/month for unlimited calls and texts --> I am unsure of the reception in Waterloo, though
- SPEAKOUT has $20/month for 100mins and unlimited texts
- Does anybody know if phone plans from Costco are cheaper?

Should I be expecting better deals around Christmas time? I know I've already missed back to school deals....

THanks!!
Windmobile has data add on of $5/100MB (Max $30 month).
If I am correct, reception in Waterloo is good too. But things change fast as subscriber bases changes rapidly.
Your only problem is in finding a pentaband phone. Nexus 4, 5 & 6 are good choice
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)