• Apr 17th, 2011 8:14 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 12, 2011
317 posts
6 upvotes

temp varies b/w rooms by 1-2C - normal?

hi:
the temp readings across the 4 bdrms in our new house vary between 1-2C (it's 5C outside, prolly would have a wider variation during midst of winter when temps go -10C?).

for example:
the warmest room (smallest and only 1 window) = 21.7C
the coldest room (2nd largest but above garage and has most/largest windows) = 20.0C

is this "normal" and to be expected?

im quite sure there was spray foam insulation on the space/cavity btwn the garage and the "coldest" room but i guess this was not enough? is there any other remedy to make the temps more uniform? we're thinking of rebalancing our furnace vents as well so maybe we can ask them to "rebalance" a bit more warmer air to the coldest room? (yet to be done and the builder recognized this as one of the vents doesnt blow air out).

thanks for any insights/thoughts
10 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1983 posts
794 upvotes
Kitchener
A variance of one or two degrees as you are mentioning is expected and normal. Some rooms might have more air flow due to less restrictive air ducts, ie less elbows, or lack of tape in the joints which cause a little bit of variance. If the insulation in the garage was not enough then you would be off by more than 1 degree.
Mar 12, 2011
317 posts
6 upvotes
peelhic wrote: A variance of one or two degrees as you are mentioning is expected and normal. Some rooms might have more air flow due to less restrictive air ducts, ie less elbows, or lack of tape in the joints which cause a little bit of variance. If the insulation in the garage was not enough then you would be off by more than 1 degree.

thanks. how much tolerance is then allowed/possible for such things? 5 degrees? ive read of some houses having really cold rooms above garages...
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11337 posts
5531 upvotes
Vaughan
Room facing south is warmer than north. The middle room is warmer due to heat loss. Room above garage is always colder.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
Yes that's normal.

To compensate for temp variation in my gas-fired forced air heating home, I put electrical baseboard heating in a couple of the guest rooms. They're in the basement so 1-3 degrees cooler, but we keep our home cool to begin with, and the guests are often elderly and like it warm.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
Try to play around with the registers so that less air goes to the rooms that are warmer. Hopefully that will minimize the temperature variation.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
teoconca wrote: Room facing south is warmer than north. The middle room is warmer due to heat loss. Room above garage is always colder.

is properly insulated the room above the garage can be nice and warm
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10930 posts
3663 upvotes
our family room is above the garage, its not cold at all, my garage is fully insulated and drywalled, and doesnt go below zero in fridged edmonton.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2011
1210 posts
89 upvotes
Nowhere
Completely normal. Be happy the variance is so low.

Our master is half above the garage but also happens to be the furtherest away from the furnace.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1074 posts
164 upvotes
Markham
This is normal, and very good. 4-5 degrees F is average.
Mar 12, 2011
317 posts
6 upvotes
bririp wrote: This is normal, and very good. 4-5 degrees F is average.

thanks bririp. are you referring to 4-5C differential or 4-5 degrees Fahrenheit as being average?

thanks to everyone as well... seems like so far, so good on room temp variations. i thought that 2C variance was large but i guess not...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)