Home & Garden

Temperature setting for chest freezer

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2013 4:40 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
6543 posts

Temperature setting for chest freezer

Just bought a used chest freezer without manual. I notice there is a temperature setting from 1 to 7. The last owner sets it at 4.

Since it is a freezer, can I assume it is below 0 at freezing temperature even it is set at 1 ?

I wonder what do people usually set the temperature at ?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2012
2576 posts
Try it at 4.

Stick a thermometer in there, wait 'till the freezer stops running, read the temp. & adjust up or down from there.

Put some ice packs or something in there to keep the thermometer company. It's cold & dark in there.
prae praesto filum clostrum
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
2978 posts
Buy a freezer thermometer from a dollar store and play around with the settings until the highest point in the interior (the highest point in the freezer should be slightly warmer than the bottom) is about 0F (-18C). Even if you had the manual, the compressor might not be 100% since it's used, the coils might need cleaning, etc. so using the factory setting for the "normal" temperature may no longer be correct.

In my experience, the normal temp for a freezer (0F/-18C) is slightly "more" than the halfway point on the dial. If given a scale of 1 to 7 and no access to a thermometer, I would put it on 5 to be safe. 0F/-18C is the recommended temp for food safety. Even though it might be -1C at a setting of 1, that's not recommended for food storage.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5750 posts
As has been mentioned you need to buy a freezer thermometer to see what the temperature is. I generally set my freezer close to -20 C.
× < >