• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2020 9:28 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 12, 2018
291 posts
224 upvotes

Tenant Evicted but owes 12 g rent....What are our options

I had a really bad tenant who lived in our house for 1 year with his kids .He paid for the first 6 months and after that he lost his job and started not paying our rent.We tried contacting him but he never answered the door and cut off his cell phone .We than took him to court and after long process we got the property back from him .HE still owes us around 10 g of unpaid rent for the last 6 months(2g last month deposit ).
We know where he moved to as a family of 10 people we did some detective work( parking outside the house and following them when they were moving stuff at night out of the house about 1 week of eviction) and found what house he moved to .He dosnt know that though .

If anyone can share what are the options do I have other than taking him to SCC or reporting to credit bureau or contacting a collection agency
Thank you
48 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5444 posts
4731 upvotes
Thatsamazing wrote: I had a really bad tenant who lived in our house for 1 year with his kids .He paid for the first 6 months and after that he lost his job and started not paying our rent.We tried contacting him but he never answered the door and cut off his cell phone .We than took him to court and after long process we got the property back from him .HE still owes us around 10 g of unpaid rent for the last 6 months(2g last month deposit ).
We know where he moved to as a family of 10 people we did some detective work( parking outside the house and following them when they were moving stuff at night out of the house about 1 week of eviction) and found what house he moved to .He dosnt know that though .

If anyone can share what are the options do I have other than taking him to SCC
Thank you
SCC = Supreme Court of Canada? Isn't that a bit extreme?

Sounds like a nice tenant... good luck collecting the unpaid rent....
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3541 posts
1411 upvotes
Toronto
Thatsamazing wrote:
If anyone can share what are the options do I have other than taking him to SCC or reporting to credit bureau or contacting a collection agency
Thank you
Small Claims Court as you said is pretty much the only route I know of. Even if you win there, it can then be a further hassle to actually collect the amount. If you know his employment info you may be able to eventually garnish his wages.

For $10K owed, it's probably worth it to try. Talk to a lawyer.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9728 posts
1705 upvotes
Toronto
From my conversation with my agent one time, yes you go through collection agency and something is filed.

Then it will be stated on their credit report. And it stays there for 5 years or something like that? And you have to pay to renew it to keep it on their credit report after that.

the purpose of that is if they ever rent a place again or buy a house applies for a mortgage, anything that triggers a credit check, the lender will not lend to them until this outstanding balance is gone from their credit report.

So you have a chance to get it back someday. Unless they never ever do anything to borrow money or rent another place that again.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9728 posts
1705 upvotes
Toronto
Oh ya sorry to hear of your situation.

I hope I never encounter this.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9417 posts
1962 upvotes
Somewhere
I am not sure what the process is to get this back, but just know that whenever you rent out property, having bad tenants is ALWAYS a risk you need to accept and assume.

Having rental property is not a guaranteed investment.
:confused:
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4300 posts
1861 upvotes
Calgary
Did you get a judgement for amount owed or just an approval for eviction? You will have to go to small claims court regardless of where you are in the process as you will realize.

If you do not have a judgement for amount owed (hopefully you do), you basically have nothing and need a judgement. That can take over a year for trial.

The big positive is that you know where they live, as locating someone to serve paperwork who doesn't want to be found is extremely difficult.

This has everything you need to know. Honestly however you cannot get blood from a rock, and you can do everything by the book and still not see a dime. And as you go through the document and all the steps involved to get paid any good will for the judicial system will slowly start to dissipate to nothing.

https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on. ... ts_EN.html
Jul 21, 2019
332 posts
640 upvotes
Dude has a family of 10 and lost his job. Give him a bit of a break. With being a rental property owner it's like being in the stock market. You can win or lose all the time, but one thing is for sure, you can't win them all.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8884 posts
1542 upvotes
Toronto
Brandon26 wrote: Dude has a family of 10 and lost his job. Give him a bit of a break. With being a rental property owner it's like being in the stock market. You can win or lose all the time, but one thing is for sure, you can't win them all.
OP has a family of 10 Detectives.
Jul 21, 2019
332 posts
640 upvotes
gh05t wrote: OP has a family of 10 Detectives.
Oh lmao, I read it wrong.

OP might as well go the old loan shark way and go break his legs with a baseball bat.
[OP]
Jul 12, 2018
291 posts
224 upvotes
We just got judgment of getting our house back .Now I have to start the claim for getting my money back .

This is the only thing I hate about Canada we are too soft on people like these.
Back home ( not gonna say where from ) I could have taken care of this issue in one day past due rent

Even if i dont get my money back I just want to make his life hard by damaging his credit,sending collection agencies after him and talking to his new landlord that the moved too so he is aware of this
[OP]
Jul 12, 2018
291 posts
224 upvotes
Sorry if my wording sounded Like that .My family we have 10 members .He only have 3
Aug 23, 2015
202 posts
117 upvotes
GTA
The large print giveth, the small print taketh away