• Oct 6th, 2018 8:52 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2350 posts
806 upvotes
Kitchener

Tenant issue?

Hopefully this is the correct place to ask this question.
I'm looking after my son in law's house that's rented. I rent the garage. There is a single driveway. If I need to use the driveway to load or unload stuff into the garage, I try and am usually successful in giving the tenant a day notice. Now he wants 24 hours notice even if I don't use the driveway. I don't want to cause a problem for my son in law wrt the tenant, but sometimes, like today, I need to go over and pick some stuff up. I can do so without the driveway access. I feel that if I let him know i'll be over shortly, he'll say no and start bad feelings. He should be at work, so I'm going to shoot over and get what I need without notifying him. I'm not the landlord, but I'm the guy that he'd call if there was a problem.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
15 replies
Sep 6, 2018
212 posts
90 upvotes
Seems bit crazy that tenants want 24 hour notice if you are entering garage only... (not entering house)

As long as you dont enter the house or being nosy, i dont see any issue...I would tell the tenant you are not required to give them 24 hour notice to access the garage.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
Is the garage attached to the house? Does the garage have a separate entrance? Personally, if I rented a house and had someone else entering the premises constantly I’d be a little annoyed. Since you’re technically co tenants, you don’t need to give any notice. I’m surprised he’s not complaining to your son in law though.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2459 posts
682 upvotes
Ontario
Sounds like you are the acting landlord so you need to give him notice to go on the property.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
sam123 wrote: Hopefully this is the correct place to ask this question.
I'm looking after my son in law's house that's rented. I rent the garage. There is a single driveway. If I need to use the driveway to load or unload stuff into the garage, I try and am usually successful in giving the tenant a day notice. Now he wants 24 hours notice even if I don't use the driveway. I don't want to cause a problem for my son in law wrt the tenant, but sometimes, like today, I need to go over and pick some stuff up. I can do so without the driveway access. I feel that if I let him know i'll be over shortly, he'll say no and start bad feelings. He should be at work, so I'm going to shoot over and get what I need without notifying him. I'm not the landlord, but I'm the guy that he'd call if there was a problem.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
Can you contact your son-in-law and let him talk to the tenant?

My belief is that since you represent the landlord (agent), the tenant has no basis to demand such request. Of course, you do not want to start any bad relations with the tenant. I think if you attempt to find a single daily convenient time to do your garage chore, this situation may be worked out in amicable manner.

http://www.sjto.gov.on.ca/documents/ltb ... 0Unit.html

http://www.sjto.gov.on.ca/documents/ltb ... 20(EN).pdf
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Co-tenants same as if you rented the basement or something. He can pound salt.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1535 posts
1256 upvotes
Hamilton
Instead of asking anyone else, you should contact your son and ask him what he would like done. He, then, can provide the tenant any direction necessary. That is if you feel the issue is that importtant.

From the sounds of it, house tenant will contact you if problems with the residence but that is the only reason they would do so.

If you try to work around everyone, house tenant may get completely ticked off and cause all kinds of grief for everyone, especially your son, who probably does not want to deal with little crap like this.

Odds are, that if your son had a choice between a normally good tenant for the house that pays a reasonable rent and you who rents the garage probably at a nominal fee, he would suggest you look for storage somewhere else as who needs this kind of grief.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4360 posts
585 upvotes
Messed Up Area
If you are an acting landlord, even with a rented part of property, you require 24 hour notice.

If you are not acting as landlord, you need no notice, but only need to accommodate times when needing access to driveway. You'd be considered roomates, and need to work things out.

Seeing as you where asked by tenant to give 24 hours notice, I am assuming its becoming more of a hassle or inconvenience for them to move vehicles at times, or having someone on property ( aka fear of spying for owner of property )

We rented a house, and someone had rented a freezer storage from owners as they lived off grid. At 1st it was not bad giving them access to area, but became a hassle after 3-4 visits and having to sit around and wait for them to come and go and be late on times they said they would be there. And yes we were comped very well for the hydro and inconvenience, but not worth the hassle.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
theguyz wrote: If you are an acting landlord, even with a rented part of property, you require 24 hour notice.
I’d call him the maintenance man.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
4104 posts
4052 upvotes
Toronto
I would call the Landlord Tenant Board and ask them, make sure to include all the proper information and they'll be able to give you an answer based in fact.

Personally I don't believe notice is required, you are not entering the home or stopping them from the reasonable enjoyment of their rental. Further to this I assume when they rented the home they knew the garage was rented to someone else.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Agree with WMPCOT, if your son rented the garage to a complete stranger they would not bother to give the house tenant notice. The tenant isn't renting the garage, he has no say in when you visit unless its disturbing his peaceful enjoyment of the house.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1535 posts
1256 upvotes
Hamilton
Sam123 has the same question going under " Tenant " in the Real Estate section and it contains a few more details
Dec 17, 2015
458 posts
156 upvotes
Burlington
Maybe the tenant is into illegal stuff and doesn’t want you snooping around
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
luckystrike1 wrote: Sam123 has the same question going under " Tenant " in the Real Estate section and it contains a few more details
In particular, he disclosed that the driveway is the tenant’s only off street parking area.

C