Home & Garden

Tenant Lease and Notices put out around the building

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2018 4:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 9, 2013
3039 posts
1119 upvotes
Scarborough

Tenant Lease and Notices put out around the building

I am just curious, are the notices that are put on the building an extension of the lease agreement? Do they hold any ground?

I have underground parking and one day my fob didn't work so I parked in the visitor parking for 30 minutes on my lunch break. When I got back I received a ticket but that's because the secretary saw me park there and called herself. The ticket states I was parked on private property without consent. Visitor parking require no authorization by the building or consent, only after 9pm you are required to buy a sticker if you plan on parking overnight.

Long story short, they are putting postings all over the building stating that tenants are not allowed to park in the visitor parking. The lease agreement doesn't mention this so do I have a leg to stand on to fight this ticket?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2006
1041 posts
626 upvotes
Is it a City issued parking ticket or a private company ticket? If private company then just throw out the ticket.

If City issued, email the form to fight a ticket and explain your story and it should get thrown out.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 3, 2009
5579 posts
939 upvotes
Toronto
soupmaster666 wrote:
I imagine you need to come to them from the direction of a fob problem and hope they are compassionate and will get rid of the ticket.
This.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 15, 2017
1666 posts
548 upvotes
Toronto
asifnana wrote: Is it a City issued parking ticket or a private company ticket? If private company then just throw out the ticket.

If City issued, email the form to fight a ticket and explain your story and it should get thrown out.
The city removed the option to fight your parking tickets last year. Next time they are going to remove the option to defend yourself in criminal cases.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 9, 2013
3039 posts
1119 upvotes
Scarborough
soupmaster666 wrote: Does the lease say you have consent to park in visitor parking? Chances are no, so you can't fight it from that perspective.

I imagine you need to come to them from the direction of a fob problem and hope they are compassionate and will get rid of the ticket.


If they aren't compassionate, well it's not your problem if it's 3AM and your fob doesn't work. You can't park anywhere else, so they are just going to have to come open the door for you every time you have the problem.
The lease says all the things you aren't allowed to do versus what you are allowed to do. This is where these notices pop up all over the building, are they extensions of the lease agreement because I feel like they are publishing everything they either forgot to put in the lease agreement or not allowed so they put it on notices.
Moderator
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
24354 posts
3816 upvotes
OrangeBerry wrote: The lease says all the things you aren't allowed to do versus what you are allowed to do. This is where these notices pop up all over the building, are they extensions of the lease agreement because I feel like they are publishing everything they either forgot to put in the lease agreement or not allowed so they put it on notices.
It's not an extension of the lease, but they can still set other rules as long as they don't contradict what is in your lease.

Just because something isn't in your lease doesn't automatically mean you can do it.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
13353 posts
13703 upvotes
Oakville
OrangeBerry wrote: The lease says all the things you aren't allowed to do versus what you are allowed to do. This is where these notices pop up all over the building, are they extensions of the lease agreement because I feel like they are publishing everything they either forgot to put in the lease agreement or not allowed so they put it on notices.
Does the lease say they are free to add additional rules at any time? Next notice will require you to hand over your first born child.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 9, 2013
3039 posts
1119 upvotes
Scarborough
engineered wrote: Does the lease say they are free to add additional rules at any time? Next notice will require you to hand over your first born child.
The lease does not say they are free to add additional rules, so that pretty much favors me as they can't add rules outside the 4 corners of the contract (lease). Why would I be at fault for parking when it's not in the lease.

Top