Tenant Screening Questions

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2017 12:12 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
871 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
I find the Ontario ruling that you can't prohibit pets to be pretty extreme. I suppose your only argument would be to tell the prospective tenant that someone in the household has a severe allergy to dogs, and having a furnace that recycles air throughout the house would simply make it worse.
One could also run that past the board and see if that would work.
I rent out a basement suite and would never have a dog. I've seen what they can do.

Is the unit you are renting out part of the house you live in? If so, get them to pay a portion of your electrical bill. I charge my tenants 25 to 33% of my bill. It helps a lot in keeping them from abusing it.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
poleman wrote: I find the Ontario ruling that you can't prohibit pets to be pretty extreme. I suppose your only argument would be to tell the prospective tenant that someone in the household has a severe allergy to dogs, and having a furnace that recycles air throughout the house would simply make it worse.
I rent out a basement suite and would never have a dog. I've seen what they can do.
All the tenant would have to do is let you take them to the RTA, and then request you produce a doctor's note...

C
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
poleman wrote: I find the Ontario ruling that you can't prohibit pets to be pretty extreme. I suppose your only argument would be to tell the prospective tenant that someone in the household has a severe allergy to dogs, and having a furnace that recycles air throughout the house would simply make it worse.

Is the unit you are renting out part of the house you live in? If so, get them to pay a portion of your electrical bill. I charge my tenants 25 to 33% of my bill. It helps a lot in keeping them from abusing it.
People will generally do more damage than dogs. Cats can scratch the shit out of everything. Our tenant with a dog was the best ever. It is the PEOPLE you have to worry about, and getting the right people in means they will take care of their dog(s) so they don't damage your property.