Tags:
None
Jun 20, 2012
160 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Tenant's final billing

Hey Everyone,

Need some advice on this - tenant is moving out to the US for good. They normally pay for the utilities (gas, hydro, water, internet, phone, tv) and the final bills will not come until 2 weeks after the moving date. How do I protect myself in this situation...or can I?

Thanks in advance!
11 replies
Jun 20, 2012
160 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Super_Chicken wrote: Are the bills under their name or yours?
Theirs. But I was told if no response then they will send the bill to the landlord at the service address.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
I doubt there's much you can do about it. You could ask to see a paid up statement for each utility so you're only on the hook for the last month at worst, but even then I doubt you can do much if they refuse. You could try asking your local landlord/tenant board what your options are.

C
Dec 20, 2012
202 posts
118 upvotes
Brampton
Not sure if you took a security deposit but if you did, I would hold on to it and pay the final bills and then refund them the difference.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
JEsco1982 wrote: Not sure if you took a security deposit but if you did, I would hold on to it and pay the final bills and then refund them the difference.
That's why he needs to check with his local board. There's time limits on how long you can hold the deposit. There's also limits in different areas in what can be charged.

C
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I don't understand how you can be held responsible for utilities in someone else's name? Makes no sense to me.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3105 posts
1530 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote: I don't understand how you can be held responsible for utilities in someone else's name? Makes no sense to me.
Agreed. Especially internet and cable and stuff. In any case, I'm sure you can ask them to cut off services on a specific day and ask them what the balance is. Do you have a good relationship with the tenant? Why not just approach him with your concerns?

As for the other stuff. Cost of doing Business. You build those things into the price you charge for rent... so that you should have something saved up for when a customer doesn't follow through.
Jun 20, 2012
160 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
atomiton wrote: Agreed. Especially internet and cable and stuff. In any case, I'm sure you can ask them to cut off services on a specific day and ask them what the balance is. Do you have a good relationship with the tenant? Why not just approach him with your concerns?

As for the other stuff. Cost of doing Business. You build those things into the price you charge for rent... so that you should have something saved up for when a customer doesn't follow through.
I have a good relationship with the tenant. But then at the end of the day, if she does not pay up, the government/companies will bill it to the service address and the onus falls on the property owner/LL. It is then up to me to go through small claims court to get my money back from the tenant (worst case scenario). Guess I'll know soon enough.

Thanks everyone for your replies!
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1005 posts
100 upvotes
btcoma wrote: I have a good relationship with the tenant. But then at the end of the day, if she does not pay up,
Contradictory somehow and ... so typical Canadian - lack of trust (and in a sense, being mean, sorry to say)
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2907 posts
2135 upvotes
Calgary
From what my understanding is that as long as you call in to the electrical and gas company and let them know from what day you're taking over the utilities you will be fine. The tenant will be responsible for the days Upto it. Make sure you have an exit inspection letter handy as proof. For cable and internet don't even worry about it they can't do jack all.