Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Tenants have mice. What are my legal responsibilities?

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2017 6:09 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 13, 2007
827 posts
6 upvotes

Tenants have mice. What are my legal responsibilities?

I have a rental home occupied by 3 students. theyre friends (knew eachother before they moved in). now they say they have mice.

mice come around in the winter time when they find clutter/junk, and things to eat. they crawl into houses where they can hibernate.

there were no mice last year

what am i suppose to do in this case?
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 28, 2005
6334 posts
43 upvotes
get rid of them?

Mice don't mean the house is dirty...heck where I rented I got them and I keep my place clean as a whistle.
- Private Investigator...contact me for your surveillance needs.
Mar 6, 2007
314 posts
5 upvotes
I'm not a lawyer but, this is from the residential tenancies act:
PART III
RESPONSIBILITIES OF LANDLORDS

Landlord’s responsibility to repair

20. (1) A landlord is responsible for providing and maintaining a residential complex, including the rental units in it, in a good state of repair and fit for habitation and for complying with health, safety, housing and maintenance standards. 2006, c. 17, s. 20 (1).
Mice droppings are potentially a health hazard so, it would probably fall under your responsibilities to hire pest control.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
1541 posts
5 upvotes
It absolutely does fall under the Act. You're required to get rid of pests.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6374 posts
608 upvotes
rhetorical question. they can also damage the house among other things, so duh, get rid of them.

Never had mice...had cockaroaches but like others said, apt very clean...doesnt mean they're not around and coming from somewhere else, maybe nearby houses or apartments. you never know.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1718 posts
155 upvotes
Calgary
LOL @ title "Tenants have mice"

No. You have mice. And you are obligated to do something about it. It might be as simple as providing them with a few $2 mouse traps.
Dec 21, 2008
251 posts
157 upvotes
You are supposed to get rid of the mice ;p

I had mice recently at my mom's house. I built one of those cheap drowning traps. The idea is the mouse runs up to enjoy the peanut butter, loses footing on the slippery can and falls in the water and drowns.

Supplies:

1 medium size bucket w/ sturdy handle
1 family size apple juice can (empty with label off)
1 piece of wood big enough to extend from handle of bucket to floor
Peanut Butter

Cut the can so you can fit it over the handle and you can spin it like a pulley. The can must be able to spin freely on the bucket handle and the handle must be set in place so that it's directly over the center of the bucket.

Fill the bucket with enough water to drown the mouse. If winter time, put antifreeze in it.

Put wood in position to give the mouse access to the can

Peanut butter on the can with a little bit on the wood leading the mice up to the can.

I caught 7 mice with just 1 trap.
Logistics and Recreation Entrepreneur extraordinaire!

PM me for information about Inline Hockey or if you have any Inline Hockey/Skating questions!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2009
1273 posts
96 upvotes
Montreal
Ebtek wrote:
Dec 14th, 2009 10:10 pm
what am i suppose to do in this case?
Talk about amateur.

FYI, being a landlord is not just about receiving monthly checks from your tenants.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2002
3813 posts
28 upvotes
Mississauga
Wow, landlord fail. I hope those students don't become aware of their rights!
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2826 posts
323 upvotes
Montreal
Did you tell them no pets when they moved in? I guess you could always give them a warning and tell them to get rid of them :)

All seriousness aside did you check for any holes in the walls and try to fil lthem sometimes they could come from space in between pipes.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2004
2525 posts
144 upvotes
mat2312 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2009 9:18 pm

I had mice recently at my mom's house. I built one of those cheap drowning traps. The idea is the mouse runs up to enjoy the peanut butter, loses footing on the slippery can and falls in the water and drowns.

Supplies:

Peanut Butter

Cut the can so you can fit it over the handle and you can spin it like a pulley. The can must be able to spin freely on the bucket handle and the handle must be set in place so that it's directly over the center of the bucket.

Fill the bucket with enough water to drown the mouse. If winter time, put antifreeze in it.

Peanut butter on the can with a little bit on the wood leading the mice up to the can.

that dosn't sound like a particular ethical way to kill mice.

woudn't it be a lot more humane to use the normal traps that snap their necks in an instant?
Dec 21, 2008
251 posts
157 upvotes
The_Madz wrote:
Dec 17th, 2009 2:32 pm
that dosn't sound like a particular ethical way to kill mice.

woudn't it be a lot more humane to use the normal traps that snap their necks in an instant?
They're disease carrying infestive vermin. The traps work very effective. I'm not a big fan of animals suffering but there is no clear cut painless way to kill mice. Snap-traps misalign sometimes maiming the mouse for a slow painful death.
Logistics and Recreation Entrepreneur extraordinaire!

PM me for information about Inline Hockey or if you have any Inline Hockey/Skating questions!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4046 posts
402 upvotes
not defending OP, but maybe students are not clean, or they left doors open....

Cheapest is set mouse traps near every door from outside and then set traps in basement by windows..... as a renter a use to expereicne mice every once in a while and did above , after 1 week and more mice than i though issue resolved.

you can also request the tenants to clean up after every meal by doing dishes etc. as maybe causing mice issue.

exterminator can kill what sin house todaym but tomorrow they may reappear and not worth expense, unless hundreds...

Remember if you see 1 mouse, it could mean at least another 10 in house that you don't see.
Feb 8, 2003
684 posts
180 upvotes
mat2312 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2009 9:18 pm

Supplies:

Peanut Butter

Uh.. That sounds like some SAW serial killer crap.

Remind me to stay the hell away from you....