Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Tenants have mice. What are my legal responsibilities?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 8:06 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2062 posts
1538 upvotes
Montreal
gr8dlr wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 3:33 pm
Stop posting stuff...this is a seven yr old thread
This is a forever relevant thread.

Why start a new thread when an already existing one has useful information?
Oct 13, 2016
184 posts
164 upvotes
In a galaxy far far …
jaysoulz wrote: What happen if there are no mice before and only after the tenant get in?

I have three apartment, the basement has no mice. the first floor has none either, but the second floor is rent by couple with few kids and has mice.

could that be the tenant is exposing his food everywhere to attract mice, so it is his duty no?
I don’t think the correlation between kids and mice is well established.

You’re the owner of a rental property with a reported pest problem. Just deal with it proactively or your tenants will deal with you at greater time and money.
Oct 13, 2016
184 posts
164 upvotes
In a galaxy far far …
Poppwl wrote: Just hire someone to get rid of the mice. Doesn't cost much. Your tenants probably see mice poop lying around lol.

My friends' friend used to complaint to their landlord about oil-ly fan on top of cooking stoves. These tenants rarely cook but the tenants before them did so make sure your fan to suck up grease and oil are sparkling clean if you have new tenants and announce it to their face and remind them to clean their own fan. You can even demonstrate with the clean fan.
Bad news. One of the leading causes of a kitchen fire is a oil/grease-clogged vent filter in a range never inspected.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1513 posts
192 upvotes
Markham, ON
Badbrad wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 1:01 pm
Bad news. One of the leading causes of a kitchen fire is a oil/grease-clogged vent filter in a range never inspected.
Good news. I said make sure your fan is sparkling clean before new tenant move in and point it out to their face so they know to not cook oily and greasy food to prevent potential fire.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)