Vancouver

CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
$175 off
Retailer:
Tenda Canada
I recall hearing that the Shadows don't go on sale much, so this is a good deal? Comes with 3 magazines, which is nice.

Just starting to build my collection, so looking for feedback from more knowledgeable posters on whether this is good value or not.

https://www.gotenda.com/shop/firearms/h ... mm-pistol/
31 replies
Aug 30, 2009
33 posts
17 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Back in the days of strong Canadian dollar and cheap Euro (2011 or 2012, can't recall), Reliable Gun had SP-01 on sale for $650-ish. With the current pricing, $775 is not a bad deal. However, a lot of people buying Shadows do so to compete in Production Division in IPSC/USPSA. While there's nothing wrong with SP-01, you may want to consider the (significantly more expensive) Shadow 2 if you want to join IPSC/USPSA. And I'd ask LGS if they can PM Tenda's pricing.

If any of your shooting buddies go to the big (Provincial or National-level) matches, sometimes there is a vendor from no-tax province there, giving away 15% discount coupons for firearms.

PS. Forgot to add, you can buy the Kadet kit for either SP-01 or Shadow 2 (and which cost just about as much as the firearm itself) to convert your 9mm Shadow to .22LR and it's arguably the most reliable/best .22LR conversion.
Last edited by stangri on Aug 25th, 2019 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2015
3720 posts
3394 upvotes
This is a nice pistol.nice and heavy and very accurate.
Please DON'T PM me for SPC codes, kindly ask for them in the Samsung thread's (HOT DEALS) section and I will respond with one.
Feb 25, 2015
731 posts
763 upvotes
NB
Killer deal, indeed. I have been monitoring prices for Shadow 1 for quite a while, and this is the cheapest I can remember. Stock Shadow is decent, a couple of small upgrades will make it sing (competition hammer and short reset disconnector, about $120 from Europe, plus a couple of hours of gunsmith time or DIY if you are mechanically inclined).
"The things you own end up owning you..." (c)
Feb 16, 2013
852 posts
770 upvotes
Toronto
Gonna get banned if we get Turdeau for another 4 years. I'm not buying anything restricted.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2006
1631 posts
1244 upvotes
Alberta
Many other retailers sale it at around $750...look around before buying....rangeview even had it for $700 but was sold out.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2770 posts
756 upvotes
Vancouver
cowbunpants wrote:
Aug 25th, 2019 10:37 am
Gonna get banned if we get Turdeau for another 4 years. I'm not buying anything restricted.
Really? I was actually planning to buy more now out of fear of another 4yrs. You don't think if legislation is passed existing firearms wouldn't be grandfathered? Isn't that what they've done historically?

I have FOMO that they're going to move classes to prohibited/grandfathered, then I'm SOL.

BTW, can someone just list off good online retailers for me, as well as decent firearms retailers in the Vancouver area? I need to start familiarizing myself with pricing.

Also, slightly off-topic (I figure it's OK since I'm OP, haha) but in terms of 9mm, I just want something basic, dead reliable, easy to strip/clean, with cheap and really available replacement parts (more utilitarian than desire). Am I basically looking at a Glock, or also a standard CZ? I also started reading up about this S&W M&P9 2.0. Would that fit the bill? I thought about a Beretta, given how long they were in the service (Tends had surplus ones for sale), but worried they have finicky innards. Is welcome other suggestions as well.

TIA
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2006
1631 posts
1244 upvotes
Alberta
Bishop8 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2019 11:12 am
Really? I was actually planning to buy more now out of fear of another 4yrs. You don't think if legislation is passed existing firearms wouldn't be grandfathered? Isn't that what they've done historically?

I have FOMO that they're going to move classes to prohibited/grandfathered, then I'm SOL.

BTW, can someone just list off good online retailers for me, as well as decent firearms retailers in the Vancouver area? I need to start familiarizing myself with pricing.

Also, slightly off-topic (I figure it's OK since I'm OP, haha) but in terms of 9mm, I just want something basic, dead reliable, easy to strip/clean, with cheap and really available replacement parts (more utilitarian than desire). Am I basically looking at a Glock, or also a standard CZ? I also started reading up about this S&W M&P9 2.0. Would that fit the bill? I thought about a Beretta, given how long they were in the service (Tends had surplus ones for sale), but worried they have finicky innards. Is welcome other suggestions as well.

TIA
Glock will do for you....if you want a CZ look at P-10F
Feb 25, 2015
731 posts
763 upvotes
NB
fluidmax wrote:
Aug 25th, 2019 10:49 am
Many other retailers sale it at around $750...look around before buying....rangeview even had it for $700 but was sold out.
That was regular CZ 75 SP-01, not Shadow
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2006
1631 posts
1244 upvotes
Alberta
carbide wrote:
Aug 25th, 2019 11:21 am
That was regular CZ 75 SP-01, not Shadow
No, it was the Shadow...Rangeview have since wiped the thread and any trace of that deal. but if you dig deep you will see CGN still have people talking about that deal.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
3820 posts
601 upvotes
Bishop8 wrote:

TIA
Pretty well any modern pistol is reliable . Their reliability is more ammo dependent then anything .
Feb 25, 2015
731 posts
763 upvotes
NB
@OP: add Sig P320 and P226 to the list. The best way to figure out what works for you best is to shoot different models, preferably in the same range session. At least try and hold them at a store. IMO, steel DA/SA and plastic striker-fired are not mutually exclusive, but complement each other.
Feb 16, 2013
852 posts
770 upvotes
Toronto
pfbmgd wrote:
Aug 25th, 2019 11:24 am
Pretty well any modern pistol is reliable . Their reliability is more ammo dependent then anything .
This pretty much.
In any event. I'm sticking to Unrestricted since they are not being registered, yet.

If you don't have any restricted firearms, pick up a cheap norinco for 300-400 bux.
Perhaps an AR-15 lower as well.
Just to hope they grandfather people again.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
3820 posts
601 upvotes
cowbunpants wrote:
Aug 25th, 2019 11:57 am
This pretty much.
In any event. I'm sticking to Unrestricted since they are not being registered, yet.

If you don't have any restricted firearms, pick up a cheap norinco for 300-400 bux.
Perhaps an AR-15 lower as well.
Just to hope they grandfather people again.
Great idea . I have seen lowers for 99 bucks . Good investment just in case .
Jun 13, 2010
60 posts
50 upvotes
Canada
Bishop8 wrote:

In the lower mainland/GVA:

Reliable Gun
Wanstalls
Italian Sporting Goods

Online:
Wolverine
Canada Ammo
SFRC
CSC
Al Flaherty
Cabelas

Lastly, although I'm not a fan Glock, you can't deny Glock's ease of use and takedown... I'm actually also currently looking at picking up the new Glock 48. In all honesty, you could pick any one of the submissions for the latest US Department of Defense contract:

Italy: Beretta did not enter the improved M9A3, instead competing with their new APX striker-fired pistol.[22]
Czech Republic: CZ P-07 MHS and P-09 MHS chambered in 9 mm NATO and .40 S&W.[22]
Belgium: FN Herstal entered a polymer-framed, striker-fired pistol, apparently based on the FN FNS, and from which the FN 509 Tactical was developed.[23][24][25]
Austria: Glock 17 MHS and 19 MHS chambered in 9 mm NATO, Glock 22 MHS and 23 MHS chambered in .40 S&W, respectively.[22]
United States: KRISS USA announced its entry into the program using a variant of their Sphinx SDP chambered in 9mm NATO.[26][27]
Germany: SIG Sauer P320 MHS, a modified version of the P320.[22]
United States: Smith & Wesson M&P M2.0; in co-operation with General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems.[28]
United States: STI and Detonics Defense STX.[29]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM17_Modu ... ompetition