Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 26, 2007
364 posts
52 upvotes
GTA

Tera Gear BBQ reviews?

The Tera Gear BBQs at Real Canadian Superstore is 25% off this week. Any reviews on this brand of BBQs? I can't seem to find any.

This is the model I'm looking at: Tera Gear™ 62K BTU The Sizzler
32 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
3557 posts
489 upvotes
Ottawa
Any BBQ sold by a grocery store is junk, which is why they can afford to discount a brand new grill 25% before the grilling season even really started, and they'll rust out to scrap metal in two years. Buy a real BBQ like Broil King or Weber. Check out this: http://www.bbqs.com/monarch-20-p-96.html

And with BTU rating, more is not better. Just means it will consume more fuel on high!
[OP]
Jun 26, 2007
364 posts
52 upvotes
GTA
MacGyver wrote:
May 31st, 2012 10:28 am
Any BBQ sold by a grocery store is junk, which is why they can afford to discount a brand new grill 25% before the grilling season even really started, and they'll rust out to scrap metal in two years. Buy a real BBQ like Broil King or Weber. Check out this: http://www.bbqs.com/monarch-20-p-96.html

And with BTU rating, more is not better. Just means it will consume more fuel on high!

I don't use the BBQ all that often. Maybe just twice every month, so I don't want to spend a fortune. Are these Tera Gear BBQs really that bad? Even with occasional use?
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
3557 posts
489 upvotes
Ottawa
Every year there are new names attached to these generic grills. That's probably why you can't find any reviews about it. Often the corrosion occurs because of moisture in the air. Replacement parts are impossible to find.

Read: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/dont-buy ... q-1081530/

The Broil King I linked to is their most basic model and priced at only $279 and made in Canada and replacement parts are readily available. How cheap can you get a BBQ from RCSS? You can take your chances but don't say you weren't fairly warned.
[OP]
Jun 26, 2007
364 posts
52 upvotes
GTA
Thanks. I'm going to refund that bbq back to RCSS then. Probably will pick up a Broil-Mate at HD.

Thanks for your probably saving me some grief!
Jun 7, 2012
1 posts
DARTMOUTH
Bought the Tera Gear BBQ (62K BTU) in April this year & returned it yesterday (to an Atlantic Superstore here in NS) for a FULL refund.
No matter what my wife & I did, this bbq BURNED everything.
Highly NOT recommended.
Jun 13, 2012
2 posts
LONDON
I have had good luck with my Loblaws generic BBQ bought in 2004. 4 burner 60K BTU with side burner. Had to replace the porcelain grates once($80), ordered parts from the states with no issues. I am a heavy BBQ user - 4 to 6 times a week, every week, rain snow or shine. BBQ sits uncovered all year round in SW ontario weather.I like watching the 6" of snow melt off it as i am preheating....LOL. Only rust issue was the rear shelf where the heat deflectors rest has started to rust thru, and the front doors never really fit right. but for 400$ for 7 years of hard use, i thought it has performed well. Same sized Weber was over 1800$ back then.

Am looking at the Tera Gear 90K BTU unit as it is on sale right now at Loblaws, and i want to convert to natural gas, and get an infrared burner for the rotissarie.

Anybody got one of these 800sq in units ?
Sep 11, 2007
188 posts
8 upvotes
Brampton
Bought the RCSS "weekend warrior" model about a month and a half ago, and I love this thing. Replaced an old Fiesta400 model I had for 9years. I know it's much to early to comment on how long it will last, but it cooks my food to perfection. Have done ribs, wings, steaks, chicken...............etc. Never had a problem with hot spots, or burning of my food. I could NEVER bring myself to paying $1800 for a similar model Weber bbq. Even if this one rots in the next three years(which I'm not saying it will), I could buy another 3 of these models for less than the price of the Weber.
May 17, 2005
498 posts
49 upvotes
frehman005 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2012 5:27 pm
Here you go. Recall notice on one of the Tera Gear BBQ grill.

http://cpsr-rspc.hc-sc.gc.ca/PR-RP/reca ... re_id=1623
Not defending the actions of Tera Gear that led to the recall, but do keep in mind that it only affects 1 model and involves a labelling issue. It was not issued as a result of any dangerous incidents.

That said, we bought the Sizzler model a few weeks ago and we're very happy with it. Its longevity remains to be determined, but it cooks great, looks pretty good, and costs 1/2 or 1/3 of the premium brands' equivalent. No complaints from us.
Oct 21, 2011
147 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
fratello25 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2012 2:50 pm
Not defending the actions of Tera Gear that led to the recall, but do keep in mind that it only affects 1 model and involves a labelling issue.
Really? What I am reading is this:

"The grill operating temperatures pose a potential risk of fire when used above combustible surfaces. These affected products were not tested or certified by CSA Group and bear unauthorized CSA certification marks on the packaging and the instruction manual. There are no CSA markings on the grill."

It says there is a potential risk of fire when used above combustible surface. How this is only labelling issue?

How do you know if CSA certification marks on the packaging is authorized after this incident? May be you picked the good one?

I wouldn't rely on this manufacturer personally.
Banned
Mar 17, 2012
460 posts
15 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
I bought a Superstore BBQ for $150 3 years ago and its still going strong while my neighbor had to replace his Broil King Monarch at least 3 times due either to faulty workmanship, destroyed parts or rusted out pieces and he paid $350 for that piece of junk. Forget what these people are saying cheaper is much better and not an indicator of quality.

That same neighbor threw that piece of trash out and got a $200 one at RCSS and it has been working great for him.
Oct 21, 2011
147 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
fratello25 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2012 2:50 pm
Not defending the actions of Tera Gear that led to the recall, but do keep in mind that it only affects 1 model and involves a labelling issue.

"The grill operating temperatures pose a potential risk of fire when used above combustible surfaces. These affected products were not tested or certified by CSA Group and bear unauthorized CSA certification marks on the packaging and the instruction manual. There are no CSA markings on the grill."

It says there is a potential risk of fire when used above combustible surface. How this is only labelling issue?

How do you know if CSA certification marks on the packaging is authorized after this incident? May be you picked the good one?

May 17, 2005
498 posts
49 upvotes
frehman005 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2012 4:47 pm

Again, I'm not defending Tera Gear, but I don't think we should blow the recall out of proportion. We're talking about a table-top bbq, which when it gets hot, has the potential to set the surface it's sitting on on fire. I can only presume that the CSA certification involves a test to make sure that this won't happen, and that in this case, the required testing was not done, despite the CSA certification in the manual. It's a labelling issue in that the manual should not have had the CSA certification marks. But what I get out of this is that there's nothing inherently dangerous about the BBQ (or at least any more dangerous than putting any hot item near a combustible surface), especially since the recall notes that they "are not aware of any incidents of injury or fire involving this grill." It's not like there's been a rash of fires and burnt limbs as a result of the use of this BBQ. And more to the point, the recall only concerns the table-top BBQ. The situation in which you use a normal BBQ (and which is the subject of this thread) is entirely different and doesn't raise the same dangers.

Obviously, the choice is yours as to which brand to buy, but if you only select manufacturers that have never been affected by a recall, you won't be buying very much.
Oct 5, 2009
5 posts
Toronto
fenomenon wrote:
May 30th, 2012 10:18 pm
The Tera Gear BBQ's at Real Canadian Superstore is 25% off this week. Any reviews on this brand of BBQ's? I can't seem to find any.

This is the model I'm looking at: Tera Gear™ 62K BTU The Sizzler
Just picked this up in Natural Gas .. what a deal. Not at the end of BBQ season - but at the beginning of Summer!!!!!!
On sale for 30% off plus no tax weekend plus a free bottle of 92 wash Tide HE laundry detergent valued @ $21.99 plus tax.. plus not having to pay that ridiculous $57.95 or whatever most places charge for the natural gas conversion.
With some quick and dirty math I figure that I got the BBQ for $197 for a fully stainless steel BBQ in natural gas, what a freaking deal.

My last Super Store BBQ is now 6 years old and is still working despite a cracked middle burner that I fixed by wrapping wire around it to hold it together. Minimal rust.

I was going to buy a Broil King, Broil Mate etc. made in Canada but after reading a few reviews on here I'm ok that I didn't.

Update*** RCSS website http://www.realcanadiansuperstore.ca/LC ... Id=4600002
shows 35% off and that the BBQ is on for $224 with no tax and free tide.. time to head back and save even more $$$
If I get it for that price it'll be like I got the BBQ for $177.. scorchin' deal IMO.
Update*** got a refund for $20 bringing the price down to $224. :D
× < >