• Last Updated:
  • Apr 13th, 2016 7:57 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 13, 2012
2 posts
LONDON
Despite all the naysayers....

At 25% off and a no-tax day, I went and got the Tera Gear 90K Btu BBQ (GSS3220AN). $561 all in. Assembly went really easy. Fit and finish on the stainless is really good.
Gas line gets installed next week. Will see how it sparks up then....

As for the table top recall.... toyota and honda have recalls every month, but people still keep buying their cars.....

There will always be those who will pay more 'for better quality, durability, etc'
And there will always be those who will buy and assemble 2 BBQ's to their one, and put the cash difference in their pocket.
Me, i'd rather take the $1500 bucks i saved and put it towards any future BBQ's !.... and beer.... and meat....and gas.... and rear tires (LOL)

Cheers,
Feb 6, 2009
257 posts
102 upvotes
LondonerRFD wrote:
Jun 14th, 2012 11:47 am
I have had good luck with my Loblaws generic BBQ bought in 2004. 4 burner 60K BTU with side burner. Had to replace the porcelain grates once($80), ordered parts from the states with no issues. I am a heavy BBQ user - 4 to 6 times a week, every week, rain snow or shine. BBQ sits uncovered all year round in SW ontario weather.I like watching the 6" of snow melt off it as i am preheating....LOL. Only rust issue was the rear shelf where the heat deflectors rest has started to rust thru, and the front doors never really fit right. but for 400$ for 7 years of hard use, i thought it has performed well. Same sized Weber was over 1800$ back then.

Am looking at the Tera Gear 90K BTU unit as it is on sale right now at Loblaws, and i want to convert to natural gas, and get an infrared burner for the rotissarie.

Anybody got one of these 800sq in units ?
Yes, I have one and -- so far at least -- I am pleased with the product and the results.

A few things worth noting. "Tera Gear" is a trademark owned by the Loblaws Group and these BBQ Grills are manufactured specifically for Loblaws. The Tera Gear models manufactured this year (2012) for sale by Loblaws were made in North America. Last year's models were manufactured offshore.

The quality of the top of the line Tera Gear 90kBTU unit is quite high. If you purchased it on sale recently you probably picked it up for about $489 or so. The unit comes in both propane and natural gas variants. You don't have to pay extra for the natural gas version -- which is very nice.

A Weber of the same size which offers the same features is about $1500-$1,800 and a Napoleon pushes the price up to near $1,000.00 -$1,200.00. Ditto for Broil-King.

Now, one criticism of the Tera Gear units is that they are very hard -- if not impossibe -- to get parts for. In many cases, unless you are looking to repurpose a part made by a different manufacturer for a different model, it is a fair comment that in 5-7 years, some part on the Tera Gear grill is gong to fail and you will NOT be able to easily replace it (if at all) - probably necessitating the complete replacement of your Tera Gear grill. The argument is, if you had bought a Weber in the first, that part would very likely be available in the years 2017-2019.

I think that is a reasonable and fair criticism of the Tera Gear product line. The problem is, that observation does NOT justify this conclusion: you got ripped off by going in for a cheaper cost on the front end.

The problem with this being used as a compelling argument against purchasing a Tera Gear BBQ is that from an economic standpoint, the numbers just don't add up. If you can just BUY a new grill in 5-7 years time instead of replacing a part (which would require your purchasing a grill which is 2 to 3 times more expensive than the Tera Gear right now) -- why is that a valid argument against the Tera Gear? Frankly, it's not. If you look at the cost of buying a new one every 5 to 7 years, vs buying a very expensive top-of-the-line Weber or Napoleon with all your money up front, you are not saving money by doing so. Moreover, if you are like most people in Canada, after 5-7 years, your grill is looking rusty and dirty and the first thing you can think of when you see it is not how wonderful the food will taste coming off of it -- but how many bugs and other guests are lurking in the grill below and if rust is going to get on to your food.

If you are like me, a 5-to-7 year old BBQ LOOKS old and I WANT to completely replace it; it isn't a BBQ I want to repair and maintain for another 5 to 7 years.

Plus, with all the new features that come to these grills every five years, personally, I'd MUCH rather upgrade in 5-7 then buy one for the next 15 years and replace, repair and maintain it over that course of time. For example, infrared burners are relatively new to the marketplace. If you are maintaining your Weber you bought in the year 2000/01? Then you don't have one (TEC's patent for infrared burners did not expire until 2001).

My guess is, the same thing will be true by 2017-2019. There will be some new feature by then which will be nice to have which isn't available today. So I'm fine with having to buy a new BBQ at that time.

Short strokes: The Tera Gear 90k has a multiplicity of burners, a solid feel, a decent steak infrared burner (although the infrared rotisserie burner is a little small if you plan on doing several roast chickens at a time -- but for just one or two chickenson the spit. it's great.) cleans easily, heats up fast and works great. My favorite feature, far and away, are the interior lights on the back of the grill so you can BBQ in the dark with a well lit grill surface. This feature alone convinced me that the extra $175 or so for the top-of-the-line Tera Gear grill was worth it for my needs. I don't know how many meals I have failed to grill properly because it got too dark in the late summer to properly see the food I was cooking. Dedicated floodlights on the inside of my BBQ so I can see properly when I am cooking? *TAKE MY MONEY!!*
Dec 18, 2007
1 posts
Ottawa
LondonerRFD wrote:
Jun 25th, 2012 2:07 pm
Despite all the naysayers....

At 25% off and a no-tax day, I went and got the Tera Gear 90K Btu BBQ (GSS3220AN). $561 all in. Assembly went really easy. Fit and finish on the stainless is really good
Not bragging but I just picked up the same 90k BTU BBQ from superstore here in ottawa (Orleans) for $349!! It's natural gas too. It was labled a "blowout" price. They have 4 left. Nice solid stainless, including the grill.
It's frightening what the profit margin is on these thing considering it was labelled with a "regular" price of $749
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
2269 posts
504 upvotes
I have the weber q220 and I love it. Perfect size for 4 and portable so you can put it away in storage. You can buy the adapter to hook up full sized propane tank. If you buy the adapter in us you only pay $25 instead of $45+. I also got the weber 14" charcoal BBQ in us for $30 instead of $50 here. It's perfect size for 2 people and both grills fit in the dishwasher for cleaning.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2004
3889 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
Steel_wind wrote:
Jun 25th, 2012 3:54 pm
Yes, I have one and -- so far at least -- I am pleased with the product and the results.

A few things worth noting. "Tera Gear" is a trademark owned by the Loblaws Group and these BBQ Grills are manufactured specifically for Loblaws. The Tera Gear models manufactured this year (2012) for sale by Loblaws were made in North America. Last year's models were manufactured offshore.

The quality of the top of the line Tera Gear 90kBTU unit is quite high. If you purchased it on sale recently you probably picked it up for about $489 or so. The unit comes in both propane and natural gas variants. You don't have to pay extra for the natural gas version -- which is very nice.

A Weber of the same size which offers the same features is about $1500-$1,800 and a Napoleon pushes the price up to near $1,000.00 -$1,200.00. Ditto for Broil-King.

Now, one criticism of the Tera Gear units is that they are very hard -- if not impossibe -- to get parts for. In many cases, unless you are looking to repurpose a part made by a different manufacturer for a different model, it is a fair comment that in 5-7 years, some part on the Tera Gear grill is gong to fail and you will NOT be able to easily replace it (if at all) - probably necessitating the complete replacement of your Tera Gear grill. The argument is, if you had bought a Weber in the first, that part would very likely be available in the years 2017-2019.

I think that is a reasonable and fair criticism of the Tera Gear product line. The problem is, that observation does NOT justify this conclusion: you got ripped off by going in for a cheaper cost on the front end.

The problem with this being used as a compelling argument against purchasing a Tera Gear BBQ is that from an economic standpoint, the numbers just don't add up. If you can just BUY a new grill in 5-7 years time instead of replacing a part (which would require your purchasing a grill which is 2 to 3 times more expensive than the Tera Gear right now) -- why is that a valid argument against the Tera Gear? Frankly, it's not. If you look at the cost of buying a new one every 5 to 7 years, vs buying a very expensive top-of-the-line Weber or Napoleon with all your money up front, you are not saving money by doing so. Moreover, if you are like most people in Canada, after 5-7 years, your grill is looking rusty and dirty and the first thing you can think of when you see it is not how wonderful the food will taste coming off of it -- but how many bugs and other guests are lurking in the grill below and if rust is going to get on to your food.

If you are like me, a 5-to-7 year old BBQ LOOKS old and I WANT to completely replace it; it isn't a BBQ I want to repair and maintain for another 5 to 7 years.

Plus, with all the new features that come to these grills every five years, personally, I'd MUCH rather upgrade in 5-7 then buy one for the next 15 years and replace, repair and maintain it over that course of time. For example, infrared burners are relatively new to the marketplace. If you are maintaining your Weber you bought in the year 2000/01? Then you don't have one (TEC's patent for infrared burners did not expire until 2001).

My guess is, the same thing will be true by 2017-2019. There will be some new feature by then which will be nice to have which isn't available today. So I'm fine with having to buy a new BBQ at that time.

Short strokes: The Tera Gear 90k has a multiplicity of burners, a solid feel, a decent steak infrared burner (although the infrared rotisserie burner is a little small if you plan on doing several roast chickens at a time -- but for just one or two chickenson the spit. it's great.) cleans easily, heats up fast and works great. My favorite feature, far and away, are the interior lights on the back of the grill so you can BBQ in the dark with a well lit grill surface. This feature alone convinced me that the extra $175 or so for the top-of-the-line Tera Gear grill was worth it for my needs. I don't know how many meals I have failed to grill properly because it got too dark in the late summer to properly see the food I was cooking. Dedicated floodlights on the inside of my BBQ so I can see properly when I am cooking? *TAKE MY MONEY!!*
Finally, a sensible comment.
I don't have a Tera Gear grill, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a non-brandname one.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2009
4812 posts
722 upvotes
The argument against low-end BBQs isn't only about cost and replacement parts, but also about it's ability to cook properly.

Some low-end models (not necessarily Tera Gear) place their heat diffusers too close to the grill. This can cause your food the cook too fast and/or burn. Drippings landing on a diffuser right below the meat will cause flare-ups. There are other flaws common in some low-end models that you won't find in the higher end models.

I'm not necessarily advocating the high-end models (I have a crappy Fiesta BBQ myself), just pointing out things to look for when buying any grill.
Nov 24, 2013
1 posts
You guys keep stating good luck finding parts... Well you can find all parts for all the current Tera Gear models at grilltown.com

I just got the 84k 6 burner grill, unfortunately for me I didnt notice it was a natural gas grill. I set out looking to see if I could convert it and luckily they sell a kit straight from the manufacturer. No fuss it seems. But the kit costs $100, I did only pay $199 for the grill on a crazy good clearance sale. Bit don't know if its worth buying the kit or just returning the grill and wait for next season to get the right grill from the get go? What do you think?
Mar 5, 2007
43 posts
Despite the bad reviews and general cheap quality, I just got the Tera Gear 25k two burner model for $50 brand new! It was the last one in the store and the manager gave me a good discount for the floor demo, and the price was dropped from the already discounted sale price of $79. This grill was going for $199 or $249 regular price so I can't complain. Yes, it has uneven heat issues but I'm going to grill with ceramic briquettes tonight and see how it holds. On a test fire, it held heat much better with the ceramic bricks.

Top left in this picture: [url]http://www.*****/RealCanadianSuperstore/flyer/11572/137483/uploads_user/2000/1782/137483.jpg[/url]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1424 upvotes
Pickering
stevethewheel wrote:
Aug 15th, 2015 10:22 pm
Looks like they are on sale again. Can anyone update us with real life experience?
So the guy above you has a new one with uneven heat issues and you are still willing to ignore that because you want to believe cheap **** can work as good as the real thing... I'd rather listen to those that have the money to buy cheap or expensive grills and their choice than cheap folks trying to justify their purchase. Steel_wind is that cheap guy. Thinks the cheap grills will perform for 5-7 years? Good luck. By then the ideal cooking zone will be the size of a frisbee and you can't get parts. He wants to get a new BBQ for the sake of getting a new one, so he plans obsolescence by buying a cheap grill. Unfortunately for his wallet, part of buying good products is that they are easier to use and they last longer. Steel_wind is good for the economy as you need a new BBQ every 4 years (IDK where he's going to get 7 years out of a POS and still have it function normally)
Mar 22, 2016
1 posts
Ok. I'm suprised at the comments.. my bbq is 5 years old and has no rust on it. It's below a home Depot shade. It's in incredible shape as it was a house warming gift.. I have zero rust and the lights still work.. I clean and prep it each year using pam cooking spray. I spray it down wipe ir clean and it's as good as new.. the only thing I didn't like was the drip pan under it.. other then that I would post a photo and we use this all the time. . My secret is each time we are done I turn it off and spray it down with cooking spray and whipe it when it's cool.. some times weeks later..
May 17, 2005
498 posts
49 upvotes
MichaelS886592 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2016 7:39 pm
Ok. I'm suprised at the comments.. my bbq is 5 years old and has no rust on it. It's below a home Depot shade. It's in incredible shape as it was a house warming gift.. I have zero rust and the lights still work.. I clean and prep it each year using pam cooking spray. I spray it down wipe ir clean and it's as good as new.. the only thing I didn't like was the drip pan under it.. other then that I would post a photo and we use this all the time. . My secret is each time we are done I turn it off and spray it down with cooking spray and whipe it when it's cool.. some times weeks later..
+1 for me, although I have to admit that I don't take care of it as well as the poster above.

Still, after 4 years of weekly use, ours still cooks great and looks great. I have no complaints at all and given the price we paid, we are certainly getting excellent value out of it. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to recommend Tera Gear.
Jan 7, 2010
375 posts
4 upvotes
Brampton
Ive had my Tera Grill for a lil over 3 years now, its been simply amazing for me. 1st grill ive had where the push button starter has worked every time never with any problems. I love how east the grill is to clean as everything comes apart very handy and easily. The only thing I can not comment on is the side burner as I've never used mine.

Also, not even a spot of rust, I leave it outside all summer with a cover, keep it in the garage during winter.
Apr 11, 2016
1 posts
fenomenon wrote:
May 30th, 2012 10:18 pm
The Tera Gear BBQs at Real Canadian Superstore is 25% off this week. Any reviews on this brand of BBQs? I can't seem to find any.

This is the model I'm looking at: Tera Gear™ 62K BTU The Sizzler
junk junk junk....this will be my third summer coming up and mines already rotted right out, i paid $400 for mine and didn't last the way it should have.
× < >