Entertainment

Terminator 2 Digitally Remastered 3D Worldwide Rerelease in Theatres Aug 25, 2017

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2017 7:31 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25647 posts
5826 upvotes
GTHA

Terminator 2 Digitally Remastered 3D Worldwide Rerelease in Theatres Aug 25, 2017

from http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/t ... set-849272
Working with Studiocanal, Cameron and the China-linked studio will create the digitally remastered 3D conversion with StereoD, for a worldwide release in 2016.

Arnie will be back once again as James Cameron is partnering with DMG Entertainment and Studiocanal to return Terminator 2: Judgment Day to global cinemas in a digitally remastered 3D rerelease.

DMG and StudioCanal will work with Cameron to supervise and produce the 3D conversion using the latest technology from StereoD.

The new Terminator 2 3D is targeting a worldwide release in 2016, but a key target market is understood to be China, where the conversion will make its global premiere courtesy of DMG's China branch, DMG Yinji, working with China Film Group.

The Terminator franchise has a wide following in China, now the world's second-largest film market, but Terminator 2 has never been given a theatrical release there. The latest film in the franchise, Terminator: Genisys, grossed $112.8 million in China earlier this year, compared to $89.7 million domestically.

“Next year marks the 25th anniversary of Terminator 2 and that seemed like the perfect time to bring it back but this time in an all-new 3D version," said Cameron.

He added: "If you’ve never seen it, this’ll be the version you want to see and remember.”

Cameron has talked about converting Terminator 2 into 3D for a number of years and he pursued a similar 3D rerelease strategy for Titanic in 2012. The film grossed $343 million worldwide, with $145 million coming from China and $57.8 million from the U.S.

"For a whole new generation of fans, it is truly a chance to see the movie that really set the bar for action and effects that all the movies today are trying to top, in a completely new way — in the theater and in 3D,” said DMG CEO Dan Mintz, adding: "We are committed to making the conversion the highest quality in order to live up to the expectations of the film’s many fans around the world.”

Anyone going to see this?

EDIT: Could be released next year (20th anniversary)
http://www.cbr.com/terminator-2-celebra ... ew-poster/
Last edited by tk1000 on Dec 16th, 2015 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
56 replies
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3755 posts
468 upvotes
Toronto
best Terminator movie imo.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
8194 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto
I'll watch it at home. ain't paying $16 and going by myself. hollywood running out of ideas eh?
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
10885 posts
1915 upvotes
Toronto
Well...the 3D Titanic conversion was one of the best 3D post-conversions of a movie I ever saw...so I have high hopes that Cameron can pull it off again.

Every studio should take a cue from this and do proper 3D conversion...or NOT release the movie in 3D at all.
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
10675 posts
1218 upvotes
Edmonton
Scorpionsy wrote:
Dec 18th, 2015 4:49 pm
Well...the 3D Titanic conversion was one of the best 3D post-conversions of a movie I ever saw...so I have high hopes that Cameron can pull it off again.

Every studio should take a cue from this and do proper 3D conversion...or NOT release the movie in 3D at all.

Post 3D conversion of top notch CGI at the time. In 3D some of the aerial shots of the Titanic looked horribly fake.

I'll give this a pass, and just watch extended cut at home.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
10885 posts
1915 upvotes
Toronto
blainehamilton wrote:
Dec 18th, 2015 5:08 pm
Post 3D conversion of top notch CGI at the time. In 3D some of the aerial shots of the Titanic looked horribly fake.

I'll give this a pass, and just watch extended cut at home.
It's not about the CGI only...it's about the Depth of Field...and the Titanic 3D conversion had some amazing Depth of Field in several shots.
Banned
Oct 9, 2015
1313 posts
241 upvotes
ON
I'd pay to see a clean 2D print of Terminator 2 in a modern theatre, but never for 3D. Why would I want to pay to have a movie darkened?
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
13966 posts
2421 upvotes
Toronto
GenerationE wrote:
Dec 19th, 2015 10:29 am
I'd pay to see a clean 2D print of Terminator 2 in a modern theatre, but never for 3D. Why would I want to pay to have a movie darkened?
+1. Terminator 2 is great as is. They don't need to add cheap 3D gimmicks.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
10885 posts
1915 upvotes
Toronto
GenerationE wrote:
Dec 19th, 2015 10:29 am
It won't be darkened at all...but crisp and bright...if played using the new IMAX Laser projection system we now have. That tech eliminted that flaw.
Banned
Oct 9, 2015
1313 posts
241 upvotes
ON
Scorpionsy wrote:
Dec 20th, 2015 5:20 am
It won't be darkened at all...but crisp and bright...if played using the new IMAX Laser projection system we now have. That tech eliminted that flaw.
I disagree. A movie in 3D IMAX Laser projection will still be significantly darker than a 2D movie in the same format.

Here's director Christopher Nolan on the issue:
“On a technical level, it’s fascinating,” Nolan said of 3D, “but on an experiential level, I find the dimness of the image extremely alienating.”

The 3D process, Nolan said, makes “a massive difference” in the brightness of the image. “You’re not aware of it because once you’re in that world, your eye compensates – but having struggled for years to get theaters get up to the proper brightness, we're not sticking polarized filters in everything."

Nolan also got into the numbers, using “foot-lamberts” – the unit of luminance by which screen brightness is measured – to explain the difference between regular and 3D projection. But when he said that traditional 2D cinema is projected at 16 foot-lamberts, but 3D automatically loses three foot-lamberts, he was grievously underestimating the 3D effect.

In fact, a typical 3D system can lose as much as 80 percent or more of the light from a 2D system on the same screen, and result in an image projected at only two or three foot-lamberts.

And of course, darkness is only one of the problems with 3D movies.
The biggest problem with 3D, though, is the "convergence/focus" issue. A couple of the other issues -- darkness and "smallness" -- are at least theoretically solvable. But the deeper problem is that the audience must focus their eyes at the plane of the screen -- say it is 80 feet away. This is constant no matter what.

But their eyes must converge at perhaps 10 feet away, then 60 feet, then 120 feet, and so on, depending on what the illusion is. So 3D films require us to focus at one distance and converge at another. And 600 million years of evolution has never presented this problem before. All living things with eyes have always focussed and converged at the same point.
I certainly understand why Hollywood puts so much effort into selling audiences on 3D - they can charge a three buck premium on every seat and they get to recycle old movies like Terminator 2 to undiscriminating moviegoers. But from an informed perspective, 3D is simply a downgrade. 3D movies only give a false illusion of 3D while constraining our field of view. Our brains are already fully capable of translating a 2D image on film into glorious 3D in our brains without paying for a pair of glorified sunglasses at the box office.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
10885 posts
1915 upvotes
Toronto
GenerationE wrote:
Dec 20th, 2015 5:39 am
I disagree. A movie in 3D IMAX Laser projection will still be significantly darker than a 2D movie in the same format.

Here's director Christopher Nolan on the issue:

And of course, darkness is only one of the problems with 3D movies.

I certainly understand why Hollywood puts so much effort into selling audiences on 3D - they can charge a three buck premium on every seat and they get to recycle old movies like Terminator 2 to undiscriminating moviegoers. But from an informed perspective, 3D is simply a downgrade. 3D movies only give a false illusion of 3D while constraining our field of view. Our brains are already fully capable of translating a 2D image on film into glorious 3D in our brains without paying for a pair of glorified sunglasses at the box office.
Chris Nolan was talking about the last Gen. 3D...not the current IMAX 3D Laser Projection. You will not see any darkening with that system. I know because I have seen several movies in 3D on the laser projector...and they were all bright and sharp...and the 3D glasses for IMAX are new versions too for the new laser projection.
Banned
Oct 9, 2015
1313 posts
241 upvotes
ON
Scorpionsy wrote:
Dec 20th, 2015 5:46 am
Chris Nolan was talking about the last Gen. 3D...not the current IMAX 3D Laser Projection. You will not see any darkening with that system. I know because I have seen several movies in 3D on the laser projector...and they were all bright and sharp...and the 3D glasses for IMAX are new versions too for the new laser projection.
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/tyTc1Nl.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
10885 posts
1915 upvotes
Toronto
GenerationE wrote:
Dec 20th, 2015 5:59 am
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/tyTc1Nl.jpg[/IMG]
I don't think so...yes...regular 3D movies lose about 50% of their brightness...and again Nolan was talking about that...NOT the 3D Laser Projected Imax picture quality. So I am right about the. IMAX Laser image quality. Don't put all 3D brightness quality in one basket.

Have you even seen Star Wars in IMAX 3D Laser projection format or any recent 3D IMAX movie at Scotiabank Theatre IMAX? If you did, you would not be comparing it to regular 3D. It simply solved that problem including depth of perception...end of story.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)