• Feb 9th, 2010 8:25 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7624 posts
1394 upvotes

Terrible Customer Service at The Bay Scarborough

Long Story short,

I was at the Bay yesterday with my girlfriend shopping for a couple things. We were there at about 8:30PM. When 8:50 rolled in, they made an announcement indicating that the store was going to close. We looked at a couple more thing and proceeded to the cash register. We got to the register at 9:05, and the cashier said sorry, we cannot cash you out. ALL the registers are closed. We explained to them we were very upset that we spent 40 minutes in the store getting things to purchase. All she offered was come back tomorrow, and we'll put it on hold.

Such terrible customer service.... Is that even normal? I've never heard of a store close their registers even when customers are still inside. Maybe thats why they went under and got purchase by a US company.
66 replies
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
560 upvotes
i wouldn't call it terrible customer service. They didnt do you a favour and that's what it clearly would've been.
Jul 13, 2009
138 posts
1 upvote
It is poor customer service. When I used to work at Crappy Tire many moons ago, the manager would go as far as letting someone into the store after the doors were locked, if they needed something urgently.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1347 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I know some people who worked at that same store.

They were paid until 930 but the manager pushed the cashiers to close on time and he wanted them clocked out by 915.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Sep 13, 2009
373 posts
6 upvotes
Well, I could understand the cashier. Closing tills take some time and they need to be out of there by a certain time.

Next time, you might want to let them know ahead of time that you're almost done choosing your items so they can wait for you.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2005
1793 posts
40 upvotes
EPcjay wrote:
Feb 5th, 2010 2:29 pm
Long Story short,

I was at the Bay yesterday with my girlfriend shopping for a couple things. We were there at about 8:30PM. When 8:50 rolled in, they made an announcement indicating that the store was going to close. We looked at a couple more thing and proceeded to the cash register. We got to the register at 9:05, and the cashier said sorry, we cannot cash you out. ALL the registers are closed. We explained to them we were very upset that we spent 40 minutes in the store getting things to purchase. All she offered was come back tomorrow, and we'll put it on hold.

Such terrible customer service.... Is that even normal? I've never heard of a store close their registers even when customers are still inside. Maybe thats why they went under and got purchase by a US company.

The store closes at 9pm, you heard the announcements. What do you expect, for them to stay open for as long as you need???
Next time, go to the store a bit earlier because the store hours do not revolve around you.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2004
2992 posts
375 upvotes
North Etobicoke
xstatik wrote:
Feb 5th, 2010 3:40 pm
The store closes at 9pm, you heard the announcements. What do you expect, for them to stay open for as long as you need???
Next time, go to the store a bit earlier because the store hours do not revolve around you.
Exactly, does he/she like anyone keeping him back when it's time to leave work. The announcement was made, you should head toward the casheir, when those in line finishes, she closes.
She doesn't expect normal people to continue shopping and have her wait on them. Everyone one else was in line to finish by 9:05pm.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1333 upvotes
xstatik wrote:
the store closes at 9pm, you heard the announcements. What do you expect, for them to stay open for as long as you need???
+1
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8831 posts
2250 upvotes
London
Eh, what kind of store closes _all_ the tills before all the customers are out of the store? That just doesn't make sense.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
3806 posts
23 upvotes
xstatik wrote:
I'm not sure you've ever operated a business. Losing a sale is a cardinal sin regardless of time. If the Bay wants to compete against Walmart or Mom/Pop establishments then they better do everything to earn customer money.

And YES, the store does revolve around the customer or it goes bankrupt. The Bay/Sears/Others originally resisted Online sales/customer pickup, even Walmart resisted but realized they were being creamed by online retailers - at the end of the day customers want to save or find convenience...and a bit of service.

OP was willing to spend money. The Bay didn't use its head and now it lost money and earned bad publicity.
Jan 11, 2007
293 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
If you were waiting in line, and didn't reach the front of it until after 9, that would be one thing. In this case, they're not really in the wrong, but I'd be unimpressed if I were you.

I'm not sure that it really goes against any sort of policy, but in my experience, that's definitely not normal. Most stores tend to stay open and operating anywhere from 15 - 30 minutes after closing hours, allowing customers to finish off their purchases.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5507 posts
885 upvotes
Toronto
No they are dumb but it could be that the manager are cutting their shifts short and they are forced to close all the tills at that time.

Usually they start rushing you out if you are in the store but maybe someone never detected you because its a big department store.

The last time I was in a big store at closing was winners and when they announced the closing, the lineups grew and wait was a few mins. The store must have been dead if there was no lineup at 9 to get there at 9:05.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1125 posts
38 upvotes
There may have been some other open tills but yeah, you shouldn't expect service after the store closes. It would have been nice if they helped you but it shouldn't be expected.

When I worked at Sears managers would have us start to close the registers at 8:50 - 8:55 and tidy up the department. Usually there'd only be one till open on the floor until 9:00 so any late customers were directed there but that till would close at 9:00.

People would get upset sometimes but what can you do? The store closes at 9:00, as employees we were only being paid until 9:15 by the time everything is closed up and you go upstairs to process your closing slip then go and swipe out and go to the employees' room to get you jacket or whatever it's 9:15 - 9:20.
Mar 18, 2009
14 posts
Canada
No Frills wrote:
Feb 5th, 2010 5:08 pm
No they are dumb but it could be that the manager are cutting their shifts short and they are forced to close all the tills at that time.

Usually they start rushing you out if you are in the store but maybe someone never detected you because its a big department store.

The last time I was in a big store at closing was winners and when they announced the closing, the lineups grew and wait was a few mins. The store must have been dead if there was no lineup at 9 to get there at 9:05.

I have to agree that " a cashier " should be available until all customers have exit their store. Allowing this cashier to start 15 mins later should easily solve this kind of situation. I won't be too impressed if I have to go back to the store the next day to pay for my purchases. If they don't appreciate my business, I will take it somewhere else. Not that I like to shop 15 mins before closing but sometimes ..... it happens when you forgot to get something urgent. :cheesygri