• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2019 8:51 am
[OP]
Jan 20, 2010
316 posts
49 upvotes
toronto

Terrible customer service at Canada Computer

Bought a ASRock motherboard at Canada Computer yesterday, however it came dead on arrival, can't even light the PC when plugged. So I just came back today for a replacement, however the store manager refused to take it back and claiming there are three CPU pins were bended and that is physical damage. Despite the fact that even without a CPU, when the motherboard is plugged, it should at least be able to beep and turn the power supply fans. But that's not what happened and it is a clear sign that I received a defective board. But for a terrible store like this, they don't care and they just try to find all ridiculous reason to deny your warranty claim.
19 replies
Aug 5, 2005
237 posts
144 upvotes
Sorry to hear... I can't say for sure since I don't know what or how things were installed but you could of shirt circuit the board. Again, I'm not saying you did but really we don't know what took place with your board, did you try resetting the jumper pins and see if power lights come on
Last edited by $n00ker on Jul 13th, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
2962 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
Canada Computers does a pretty thorough check when buying a motherboard - specifically looking for bent pins.

I hear what you're saying, but if you brought a board back with bent pins then....
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4101 posts
1619 upvotes
Mississauga
For me CC has always opened motherboard packages and visually inspected them before letting me pay and leave.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1372 posts
567 upvotes
London
did u buy it in store or online. when u buy a board in store they check it for bent pins before they sell it to you and they make u sign a paper saying there was no bent pins when u bought it. if that's the case and there was no bent pins when u bought and u bent them then its your fault and most stores would not exchange it because the manufacture will not replace a board that has bent pins.

event big stores like newegg wont honour a return for bent pins.
[OP]
Jan 20, 2010
316 posts
49 upvotes
toronto
I bought a gigabyte motherboard from Amazon today, and now is typing on the newly installed desktop. I would only say if the motherboard was purchased from Amazon, the return would not be denied for any of these excuses. But lesson learnt, I will never purchase anything from CC in the future.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
7950 posts
1497 upvotes
Mississauga
gamebird wrote:
Jul 13th, 2019 11:06 pm
I bought a gigabyte motherboard from Amazon today, and now is typing on the newly installed desktop. I would only say if the motherboard was purchased from Amazon, the return would not be denied for any of these excuses. But lesson learnt, I will never purchase anything from CC in the future.
By the sounds of your post you bought a brand new item, damaged it during your failed attempt to install (bent pins), and are angry they won't take back the board you damaged. I say good on them. Is this inaccurate?

You can't physically damage an item and expect the vendor to take it back.
Dec 15, 2015
540 posts
336 upvotes
Toronto
gamebird wrote:
Amazon issues the refund before they get the item. Your refund is processed once the tracking code is updated at the shipper...So using amazon as an example is not a fair comparable, not even by a long shot. You could even chat amazon right now and tell them you returned that motherboard and UPS lost it and get your money back.

As others have said, you returned a board with bent pins...Take it up with ASRock.
Nov 16, 2006
732 posts
214 upvotes
Somewhere between Mi…
gamebird wrote:
I bought a gigabyte motherboard from Amazon today, and now is typing on the newly installed desktop...
That would have taken me days to get it and a week to put it together! You're fast.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16605 posts
4289 upvotes
Toronto
Did you accidentally bend the pins? I would contact the manufacturer and see what they can do.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1372 posts
567 upvotes
London
carmaster wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 10:10 am
Did you accidentally bend the pins? I would contact the manufacturer and see what they can do.
they wont do nothing all warranties say bent pins are not covered.

but u cant blame cc for not taking it back they make u look at the socket with them before u leave the store and sign off saying the pins aren't bent. so customer messed up his cpu install bent the pins then wants the store to eat the cost of replacing the board. no small store is going to do that even a store as big as newegg wont do it. amazon may as there return agents are probably not computer savvy and wouldn't know what to look for.
[OP]
Jan 20, 2010
316 posts
49 upvotes
toronto
Avenger wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 2:25 am
By the sounds of your post you bought a brand new item, damaged it during your failed attempt to install (bent pins), and are angry they won't take back the board you damaged. I say good on them. Is this inaccurate?

You can't physically damage an item and expect the vendor to take it back.
Nope, I don't think I bent the pin. I highly suspect those bent pins were there before. But I would have to admit I only briefly looked at the pins when they asked me to check before the purchase.

I installed my own desktop since the day of pentium mx 166. I know what I am doing.
Feb 16, 2018
438 posts
363 upvotes
gamebird wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 7:37 pm
Nope, I don't think I bent the pin. I highly suspect those bent pins were there before. But I would have to admit I only briefly looked at the pins when they asked me to check before the purchase.

I installed my own desktop since the day of pentium mx 166. I know what I am doing.
well there's your answer. You bent the pins. The clerk checked them, had you check them and sign for them and now you are upset because you bent the pins and the vendor won't take it back.

Lot's of people know what they are doing, doesn't mean they never make a mistake when doing something they know how to do.
Dec 12, 2008
183 posts
44 upvotes
Saguenay
Please provide a pic of the socket.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18594 posts
3210 upvotes
GTA West
I came in here ready to remind people that 'terrible customer service' is the normal situation at CC, but it seems like the OP messed up here.
gamebird wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 7:37 pm

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)