Shopping Discussion

Terrible customer service at Canada Computer

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2019 8:51 am
Jul 14, 2019
5 posts
5 upvotes
I had the same experience with a AM4 ASUS TUF motherboard at memory express. Maybe there's just a problem with the foxcon socket that all these motherboards . use.

When i bought it at memory express, they did no checks, and didn't offer to seat the CPU (I bought both at the same time), they also never opened the box for me to inspect or anything. After I brought it home and tried to install it , the socket was clearly busted. I'm starting to think that memory express might of sold me a used mobo as new, but I have no evidence of that.

I took it back to the store to exchange to a different motherboard, and they offered to seat my CPU on a new x370 mobo , i step out for 15 minutes, come back and they told me that the CPU was broken, that it was completely dead. They yell at me and make me feel like garbage for another 30 minutes when it turns out that the TECHNICIAN didn't know he had to update the motherboard BIOS when installing a 2600x to a x370 series mobo. Then they refused to take back the motherboard because F you.

I went and complained to ASUS, after 2 months of back and forth, they offered me a 20% off my next repair (not THIS repair, NEXT repair) as if I'm expecting more problems with the motherboard. LOL.

This was at Memory Express Langley.

Seems like customer service at tech stores are just going to shit, yeah, buy at amazon and keep your life simple.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3047 posts
1788 upvotes
Vancouver
lamckalex wrote:
Jul 15th, 2019 12:33 pm
I had the same experience with a AM4 ASUS TUF motherboard at memory express. Maybe there's just a problem with the foxcon socket that all these motherboards . use.

When i bought it at memory express, they did no checks, and didn't offer to seat the CPU (I bought both at the same time), they also never opened the box for me to inspect or anything. After I brought it home and tried to install it , the socket was clearly busted. I'm starting to think that memory express might of sold me a used mobo as new, but I have no evidence of that.

I took it back to the store to exchange to a different motherboard, and they offered to seat my CPU on a new x370 mobo , i step out for 15 minutes, come back and they told me that the CPU was broken, that it was completely dead. They yell at me and make me feel like garbage for another 30 minutes when it turns out that the TECHNICIAN didn't know he had to update the motherboard BIOS when installing a 2600x to a x370 series mobo. Then they refused to take back the motherboard because F you.

I went and complained to ASUS, after 2 months of back and forth, they offered me a 20% off my next repair (not THIS repair, NEXT repair) as if I'm expecting more problems with the motherboard. LOL.

This was at Memory Express Langley.

Seems like customer service at tech stores are just going to shit, yeah, buy at amazon and keep your life simple.
You should have just asked for quickmount right away and then tested it. I'm guessing you got yell at after they already accepted an exchange that they normally wouldn't. Still isn't good customer service but that's my guess as to why.

I actually had good customer service at the richmond location (now closed). Haven't dealt with the burnaby/vancouver locations yet tho i probably will soon (holding out till 3950x to decide if im going red or blue since the special binding in the 3950x is suppose to make it the best for both gaming and productivity).
Jul 14, 2019
5 posts
5 upvotes
gamebird wrote:
Jul 13th, 2019 2:47 pm
Bought a ASRock motherboard at Canada Computer yesterday, however it came dead on arrival, can't even light the PC when plugged. So I just came back today for a replacement, however the store manager refused to take it back and claiming there are three CPU pins were bended and that is physical damage. Despite the fact that even without a CPU, when the motherboard is plugged, it should at least be able to beep and turn the power supply fans. But that's not what happened and it is a clear sign that I received a defective board. But for a terrible store like this, they don't care and they just try to find all ridiculous reason to deny your warranty claim.
Check if your credit card has purchase assurance, they cover 'accidental damage', you'd have to go and get a quote on how much it cost to fix it. Total pain in the butt, but that's what happens when the company you buy from tries to screw you over. It's actually frustrating how little the consumer has power to do after the store takes your money.
Feb 16, 2018
469 posts
413 upvotes
lamckalex wrote:
Jul 15th, 2019 5:50 pm
Check if your credit card has purchase assurance, they cover 'accidental damage', you'd have to go and get a quote on how much it cost to fix it. Total pain in the butt, but that's what happens when the company you buy from tries to screw you over. It's actually frustrating how little the consumer has power to do after the store takes your money.
You must have missed the part when the store clerk checked it for bent pins before it left the store and so did the OP. Not to mention the part where OP signed that there were no bent pins and now wants to return it with bent pins......

At some point you have to take responsibility for your own actions
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13763 posts
3999 upvotes
Montreal
Are motherboard sockets made of paper mache these days? I've installed a zillion CPUs and have never bent any motherboard pins and I didn't even think that was a thing, as opposed to CPU pins, which are easy to bend - I guess everything is built "China Cheap" these days.
FourDollarama Shut Down My RFD Customer Experience Thread!