Tesla Model S Catches Fire Twice in One Day

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2018 9:11 pm
Aug 19, 2018
365 posts
306 upvotes
koffey wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 4:43 pm
I'm trying to leave opinions out of my comment so I'll just leave this here in terms of batteries:

Tesla does not use individual large battery cells, but thousands of small, cylindrical, lithium-ion commodity cells like those used in consumer electronics. It uses a version of these cells that is designed to be cheaper to manufacture and lighter than standard cells by removing some safety features. According to Tesla, these features are redundant because of the advanced thermal management system and an intumescent chemical in the battery to prevent fires

I wonder what the folks that flock for safety features of their new car would think... I need the safest vehicle so I don't die in an accident, needs the latest tech, I got money to buy, be cool, buy Tesla. Die that night in house fire cause Tesla decides to no longer want to live. Age is simply a factor of making it worse. This is basically a mentally unstable vehicle, willing to do itself in at any moment and it doesn't care about the occupants inside the car or house.

lol.
I don't really see what you said have anything to do with what I said. Individual manufacture and design really don't have anything to do with having an older car, or larger battery being in general more risky than a newer car or smaller battery.

Like I said, again, my point is that there really isn't any EV similar to Tesla in performance/power ratio to really compare with. So it is flawed to say Tesla battery is worse than Leaf, for example.

Especially when we don't even know the story. Most (if not all) the Tesla battery fire problem we see so far are after battery been damaged in some way (Noticed they are all in active use on the road, not just parked in some garage.) Saying they are "mentally unstable vehicle" is premature at best and fearmongering at worst.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1268 posts
328 upvotes
The car’s owner, who didn’t want to be identified, told KPIX, “This car had been in my house today. And if we had gone on vacation or something and the car suddenly catches fire, then suddenly the whole house can burn down. So yeah, I’m certainly worried. My wife certainly doesn’t want me getting another Tesla.”
Aug 7, 2017
228 posts
182 upvotes
Bb0231 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 6:32 pm
Hopefully they don’t get an F-150 either - Ford just did a second recall in less than a year - hundreds of thousands of them being recalled after multiple have spontaneously burst into flames. So this is hardly a Tesla-specific issue.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1937 posts
796 upvotes
Ontario
To all those who says the Model S is getting long in the tooth here is proof its smoking hot.
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
13125 posts
2507 upvotes
Markham
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
24927 posts
11219 upvotes
Ottawa
bya1998 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 9:02 pm
Hopefully they don’t get an F-150 either - Ford just did a second recall in less than a year - hundreds of thousands of them being recalled after multiple have spontaneously burst into flames. So this is hardly a Tesla-specific issue.
If you're going to to spread news, do it properly.
Two recalls due to the seat belt tensioner and engine block heater cord.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1268 posts
328 upvotes
From CBC
It is believed that the fire may have started in an area where machinery was parked, adjacent to the barn, according to firefighters.
The investigation hasn't started yet, at the time of that report.
It was clear that the blaze originated on one side of the barn, according to Pratt. A tractor parked adjacent to that side had a block heater inside that was plugged into the wall, Pratt said.

"That appears to be the source of the fire," he explained.

Investigators with Milton fire services are waiting for daylight to begin examining the scene.
Sounds more like electrical glitch(es).
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1268 posts
328 upvotes
bya1998 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 9:02 pm
Multiple have spontaneously bust into flames???

From reports I can find there were three reports of fire. On the other hand, there were "multiple" reports of Model S "burst into flames". Hmmm ....

At least Ford has the courage to admit fault and issue recall as an adult unlike maker of the Model S.