Automotive

Tesla Ownership Experience (Car Talk ONLY)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 12:35 pm
Deal Addict
May 23, 2014
1273 posts
873 upvotes
canada
Thinking of putting a reservation in on a model 3, I got a few questions.

Any word on the final Canadian price ?

How much would a cheap in house installation of a ev charger cost?

If I put a reservation in today when should I expect to get my car?

I'm in bc so the latest $14k in ev incentives expire in march 2018 and I'm only really looking to get this tesla if I can get a $15 k discount?

Thanks
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7185 upvotes
Calgary
thesick wrote: Thinking of putting a reservation in on a model 3, I got a few questions.

I'm in bc so the latest $14k in ev incentives expire in march 2018 and I'm only really looking to get this tesla if I can get a $15 k discount?

Thanks
Canadian price should be known at the final unveil event next month. This Sunday Elon Musk will provide more info about the unveil.

If you put down the reservation today, my guess is probably end of next year for you. However you may get it sooner if opting for the rear drive version and not the dual motor trim.

As for home charger cost, head to Tesla Motor Club forum and ask there. There is all the knowledge you need to know before getting a Tesla.
ohnabatko wrote: Here's an extremely interesting read that showed up today:

Tesla EV Of $70 Billion Is Heading To Zero: Stanphyl Capital:
http://www.valuewalk.com/2017/06/musk-t ... ity/?all=1

It discusses and references other sources on operational and strategic head-winds against Tesla.
Thank God I listen to bear argument all the time. I mean, where will I be when TSLA crashed from $180 last November to $360 today /S.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
20055 posts
9836 upvotes
Toronto
ottofly wrote: And another Tesla goes up in a ball of fire. Moderate speed crash, single vehicle crashed through some metal gates and burst into flames.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/06/25/ca ... g-problem/
Yeah....Tesla's are such bad cars....an intense accidents like that, where the car gets totalled, and the occupants don't even get injured. Who wants a car like that, right?
"One of the car’s two occupants was transported to a hospital with a minor hand injury"...Like jeez tesla, why aren't your cars as safe as others? At least one person should have died for it to be at "par" with other cars, right?

:facepalm:
thesick wrote: Thinking of putting a reservation in on a model 3, I got a few questions.

Thanks
Canadian price will probably not come out till the end of the year but estimating around 45k based on exchange rate.

Why go "cheap", you get a 50% govt. rebate. A Tesla Wall Charger installed nets you under $1k after rebate, or a "Cheap wall charger" around 250-300 but you'll have the nuiscance of having to use your UMC cable to plug/unplug and re "roll" and pack into your car everytime you use it.

You'll probably get it end of 2018

Good luck with your goal of getting it by March.
b166er1337 wrote: Canadian price should be known at the final unveil event next month. This Sunday Elon Musk will provide more info about the unveil.

If you put down the reservation today, my guess is probably end of next year for you. However you may get it sooner if opting for the rear drive version and not the dual motor trim.

As for home charger cost, head to Tesla Motor Club forum and ask there. There is all the knowledge you need to know before getting a Tesla.

Thank God I listen to bear argument all the time. I mean, where will I be when TSLA crashed from $180 last November to $360 today /S.
As much as I love Tesla, and was formerly a bull throughout the BS Short callers in the $1XX range....I'm currently shorting Tesla (It's the only stock I've ever shorted). Even several Tesla employees I've talked to have gone short. (Most have sold all their shares/options). At its current price everyone thinks its over valued. Too much hype priced in.

I don't think Tesla is worth >$300 per share. Nothing has changed from when it was $180. The most optimistic of analyst at that time had a 2017 year end price target of $315 (Morgan Stanley).
Realtor (Investment Properties) - CPA, CA
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
20055 posts
9836 upvotes
Toronto
On that note, Tessy wanted to wish everyone a Happy Canada Day for #Canada150

Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
b166er1337 wrote: Canadian price should be known at the final unveil event next month. This Sunday Elon Musk will provide more info about the unveil.
Has he provided more info today?

It is past 6pm eastern....
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
deal_with_singh wrote: Yeah....Tesla's are such bad cars....an intense accidents like that, where the car gets totalled, and the occupants don't even get injured. Who wants a car like that, right?
"One of the car’s two occupants was transported to a hospital with a minor hand injury"...Like jeez tesla, why aren't your cars as safe as others? At least one person should have died for it to be at "par" with other cars, right?

:facepalm:

Canadian price will probably not come out till the end of the year but estimating around 45k based on exchange rate.

Why go "cheap", you get a 50% govt. rebate. A Tesla Wall Charger installed nets you under $1k after rebate, or a "Cheap wall charger" around 250-300 but you'll have the nuiscance of having to use your UMC cable to plug/unplug and re "roll" and pack into your car everytime you use it.

You'll probably get it end of 2018

Good luck with your goal of getting it by March.

As much as I love Tesla, and was formerly a bull throughout the BS Short callers in the $1XX range....I'm currently shorting Tesla (It's the only stock I've ever shorted). Even several Tesla employees I've talked to have gone short. (Most have sold all their shares/options). At its current price everyone thinks its over valued. Too much hype priced in.

I don't think Tesla is worth >$300 per share. Nothing has changed from when it was $180. The most optimistic of analyst at that time had a 2017 year end price target of $315 (Morgan Stanley).
Once other makers introduce BEVs and consortiums build charging stations, I don't see what Tesla's advantages are besides some more advance semi auto pilot.

Unless Tesla offers SCN to Tesla vehicles at the cost of electricity and lease of space.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2014
1911 posts
2367 upvotes
Toronto, ON
alanbrenton wrote: Once other makers introduce BEVs and consortiums build charging stations, I don't see what Tesla's advantages are besides some more advance semi auto pilot.
So far, there are no competitive products to the Tesla S and X, neither is there a competitive charging system like supercharging.

The lead by Tesla is so large, and growing, it's hard to fathom unless you have driven other EV's, and attempted to charge on non-Tesla fast charging systems.

Here in Ontario, you just need to visit plugshare to see that Tesla superchargers are all 10.0 rated (out of 10), and most of the other DC charging stations are pathetic and poorly rated due to a wide and growing dissatisfaction with how poorly they work.

While I hope the competition finally comes, I am not holding much hope, and will be adding another Tesla to our garage in the next year.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
SmartElectric wrote: So far, there are no competitive products to the Tesla S and X, neither is there a competitive charging system like supercharging.

The lead by Tesla is so large, and growing, it's hard to fathom unless you have driven other EV's, and attempted to charge on non-Tesla fast charging systems.

Here in Ontario, you just need to visit plugshare to see that Tesla superchargers are all 10.0 rated (out of 10), and most of the other DC charging stations are pathetic and poorly rated due to a wide and growing dissatisfaction with how poorly they work.

While I hope the competition finally comes, I am not holding much hope, and will be adding another Tesla to our garage in the next year.
No one will complain about SCN because it is free and not that crowded yet.

Charging network isn't an issue even Shell is planning to put them at their gasoline station location. It's not that expensive to set them up.

Toyota is just waiting for battery technology to advance and drop lower. Remove the ICE from its hybrid and beef up the battery and what do you get?

Even the Germans are not taking a do nothing approach.

Korean is coming and so is Honda and Volvo too.

I admire Tesla but I am just being realistic and practical. Battery technology will evolve perhaps using zinc instead of lithium and cadmium, opening up more competition. Once competition heats up, I think car makers will be able to protect their respective market share. Total cost of ownership is key for most car buyers (save for those who lease the latest and greatest all the time).

No way is there a moat around Tesla unless it starts producing cars with above average reliable and start opening up more service centers and partnering with repair shops to drive repair costs lower.

Ludicrous is nice and there will be people who want the oomph. But for me, so far AWD is what's pulling me toward a M3 but if the Frankfurt show showcases more EVs and specify target launch date, it could pull away some sales from M3 reservations.
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7185 upvotes
Calgary
tk1000 wrote: Has he provided more info today?

I'm sure it's 11am Martian Standard Time. LOL. Two more hours Elon.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2014
1911 posts
2367 upvotes
Toronto, ON
alanbrenton wrote: I am just being realistic and practical. Battery technology will evolve perhaps using zinc instead of lithium and cadmium, opening up more competition.
Lithium is a fantastic element, it's the lightest metal, with the easiest ion transfer and is cheap, and only 7% by weight of the current generation of battery cells.
Statements that a newer battery chemistry is needed to be part of your "realistic" or "practical" world where EV's are ready for mass sale has no basis in fact.

Every other auto maker and all the oil producers want you to believe the current state of the art is not good enough yet. They are lying to you.

Current battery cells are perfectly capable of taking people 500 km in comfort and safety, the key thing to do is reduce the cost of producing the battery cells and pack, something that Tesla is leading in with their Gigafactory plan which takes raw material in and ships out complete packs.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
SmartElectric wrote: Lithium is a fantastic element, it's the lightest metal, with the easiest ion transfer and is cheap, and only 7% by weight of the current generation of battery cells.
Statements that a newer battery chemistry is needed to be part of your "realistic" or "practical" world where EV's are ready for mass sale has no basis in fact.

Every other auto maker and all the oil producers want you to believe the current state of the art is not good enough yet. They are lying to you.

Current battery cells are perfectly capable of taking people 500 km in comfort and safety, the key thing to do is reduce the cost of producing the battery cells and pack, something that Tesla is leading in with their Gigafactory plan which takes raw material in and ships out complete packs.
So why did Tesla apply for patent on zinc air battery?
https://electrek.co/2017/02/13/tesla-pa ... r-battery/
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
20055 posts
9836 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote: Has he provided more info today?

Elon Standard Time, he meant next Sunday.
alanbrenton wrote: Once other makers introduce BEVs and consortiums build charging stations, I don't see what Tesla's advantages are besides some more advance semi auto pilot.

Unless Tesla offers SCN to Tesla vehicles at the cost of electricity and lease of space.
Tesla has already signed on for the "consortium" themselves, once the government rebates across the world dry up, and competition comes out, you're right there won't be much of an advantage.
SmartElectric wrote: So far, there are no competitive products to the Tesla S and X, neither is there a competitive charging system like supercharging.

We're at the early stages, the competition currently sucks, but give it 5 years I'd say and I think we'll be set up for seamless EV transport
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2014
1911 posts
2367 upvotes
Toronto, ON
alanbrenton wrote: So why did Tesla apply for patent on zinc air battery?
https://electrek.co/2017/02/13/tesla-pa ... r-battery/
Patents are not a guarantee technology will reach production, they are generally used as protection against competitors stopping innovation.

This battery type has not been used in EV's for many good reasons, see here for a simple set of reasons:
Ref:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/392003/
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
SmartElectric wrote: Patents are not a guarantee technology will reach production, they are generally used as protection against competitors stopping innovation.

This battery type has not been used in EV's for many good reasons, see here for a simple set of reasons:
Ref:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/392003/
It is nascent. Of course it isn't ready for Prime time
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Hmmm. Even if Tesla only produced 15k/month beginning December, I may be able to get an AWD before June.
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7185 upvotes
Calgary
alanbrenton wrote: Hmmm. Even if Tesla only produced 15k/month beginning December, I may be able to get an AWD before June.
It also seem likely I will get the RWD Model 3 before June next year as well. So excited!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
20055 posts
9836 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote: Elon Musk tweets...

And the stock falls... Face With Tears Of Joy

Based on our boy Elon's tweets, expected Model 3 sales for 2017:
July: 30
Aug: 100
Sept: 1,500
Oct: 5,000 - Guestimate
Nov: 10,000 - Guestimate
Dec: 20,000
Total: ~ 36,630

I think consensus was they'd have 50k out the door this year?

Also, those are "production numbers" - There's usually a 2 month lag time between reaching production and delivery. So we may see just half of that (i.e. around 15-17k deliveries of Model 3) this year. And that's being optimistic based on Elon's word which usually doesn't mean much when timing is concerned. Full Self Driving upgrade was supposed to kick in July (quoting Elon: You will start noticing the difference between the Full Self Driving package and the Enhanced Autopilot package in 3-6 months - that was said in January!)

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 2 guests)

nightfly, liston