Automotive

Tesla Ownership Experience (Car Talk ONLY)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 10:41 pm
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
EP32k2 wrote: I've got a Volt in the house so there's no need to convince me about anything related to electric cars. As far as sustainability auto manufacturers are kept in check so I really don't have understand what you're talking about as far as not advancing in their vision. Look at all the PHEVs and Bev's coming out.

Lastly I love how quickly people forget about the enormous amount of batteries being used in these cars. Sorry I haven't drank Elons Kool-Aid.
Volt is a fine car but you seriously are drinking GM Kool aid to think its interior & infotainment is superior to that of Model 3. I drive a Volt frequently and there are so many buttons that's just wasting space and not doing much. Software is not intuitive at all.

Sorry, there is no contest.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Quentin5 wrote: If you hate it then convince whoever company's cars you like to build just as many or even more EVs so you can own buy one and be happy.

Aye carumba. I may think Tesla needs to improve a few parts of their interface but i don't think needing to have a pilots license should be necessary to drive an automobile.
Lol, they're all redundant.
Everything can be controlled by the steering wheel buttons.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32148 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
vkizzle wrote: Lol, they're all redundant.
Everything can be controlled by the steering wheel buttons.
I hope so, last thing we need is an epidemic of accidents because someone wanted to change the radio station and couldn't find the right button.
Last edited by Quentin5 on Mar 17th, 2018 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
b166er1337 wrote: Volt is a fine car but you seriously are drinking GM Kool aid to think its interior & infotainment is superior to that of Model 3. I drive a Volt frequently and there are so many buttons that's just wasting space and not doing much. Software is not intuitive at all.

Sorry, there is no contest.
Read again. Where did I compare the Volt against the all mighty Tesla? I said I don't need to be convinced about EV's as I already have one in the household. It does it's job but not for me period. Just love how defensive Tesla lovers are especially on such an overpriced product. So whos drinking the Kool-Aid now? Cause it's not me.

My point is there's going to be lots of options while fools that put money down will be waiting for the next 2 years for the M3. WHY???
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
EP32k2 wrote: Read again. Where did I compare the Volt against the all mighty Tesla? I said I don't need to be convinced about EV's as I already have one in the household. It does it's job but not for me period. Just love how defensive Tesla lovers are especially on such an overpriced product. So whos drinking the Kool-Aid now? Cause it's not me.

My point is there's going to be lots of options while fools that put money down will be waiting for the next 2 years for the M3. WHY???
The following video shows one of the reasons why. Another is the supercharger network.

https://v.redd.it/aw6tgp6t0gm01
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32148 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
EP32k2 wrote: Read again. Where did I compare the Volt against the all mighty Tesla? I said I don't need to be convinced about EV's as I already have one in the household. It does it's job but not for me period. Just love how defensive Tesla lovers are especially on such an overpriced product. So whos drinking the Kool-Aid now? Cause it's not me.

So you come onto a thread about Teslas, twice badmouth people who post in it and pretend your smarter then everyone else :rolleyes:
Why waste your time if its such a bad product?
Surprise me and don't respond with an insult.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Quentin5 wrote: So you come onto a thread about Teslas, twice badmouth people who post in it and pretend your smarter then everyone else :rolleyes:
Why waste your time if its such a bad product?
Surprise me and don't respond with an insult.
I'm trying to understand why this car is so hyped up? Lets see how the demand is after the rebate disappears...
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2145 posts
1789 upvotes
xrvr wrote:
And for example, Tesla this week enabled heated rear seats on M3 with the latest OTA update.
Option to turn them on just showed up in your menu.
Imagine doing this on F150?

Obviously to enable heated heats, there needs to be the heating elements under the seats. Why is it okay to pay for hardware that are disabled at delivery and enabled in an unknown date? Unless these OTA updates magically install the required hardware or utilize some existing functioning parts in the car that can also provide heating functions, I don’t see why they should be praised.

I have a friend who swears by tesla. He always says how cool/convenient OTA updates. It always puts a lot of question marks in the head.

I don’t have an EV but am ready for one as my main commutes are about 2kms. Just waiting for prices to come down and there aren’t rebates where I live.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
kkkat wrote: Obviously to enable heated heats, there needs to be the heating elements under the seats. Why is it okay to pay for hardware that are disabled at delivery and enabled in an unknown date?
it's not really ok, but this is increasingly the trend for many devices that are connected to the internet. They announce the hardware, but the software feature is marked "beta" or will be provided later. The problem is when the user pays a LOT for a feature that is enabled later like the Autopilot. If I keep a car 3 years, pay up front for a $8000 feature, and then I might not even get it until a year and half later, that's not ok in my book.

For the most part, people buying Teslas are aware they are buying bleeding edge cars, so a lot of it is tolerated, but I can see the trend of not providing final software being adopted by other companies too, because these things are basically just rolling computers now. So all the software that comes with the car is alpha or beta.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2145 posts
1789 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: it's not really ok, but this is increasingly the trend for many devices that are connected to the internet. They announce the hardware, but the software feature is marked "beta" or will be provided later. The problem is when the user pays a LOT for a feature that is enabled later like the Autopilot. If I keep a car 3 years, pay up front for a $8000 feature, and then I might not even get it until a year and half later, that's not ok in my book.

For the most part, people buying Teslas are aware they are buying bleeding edge cars, so a lot of it is tolerated, but I can see the trend of not providing final software being adopted by other companies too, because these things are basically just rolling computers now. So all the software that comes with the car is alpha or beta.
I applaud tesla being able to pull this off. Not only people are accepting but praising this behaviour. For me, if I am checking an option box, itd better work Upon taking delivery.

Any other manufacturer attempting to do this, lawsuits would be flying left and right. Haha.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2015
6184 posts
4811 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
EP32k2 wrote: I'm trying to understand why this car is so hyped up? Lets see how the demand is after the rebate disappears...
Same reason iPhone as hyped up.
Alterna Bank Thread

TFSA Portfolio: ATD|CNQ|NA|SJ
RRSP Portfolio: ELV|URI|WSM
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
kkkat wrote: I applaud tesla being able to pull this off. Not only people are accepting but praising this behaviour. For me, if I am checking an option box, itd better work Upon taking delivery.

Any other manufacturer attempting to do this, lawsuits would be flying left and right. Haha.
It works both ways. You put up with "beta" software but they continually improve the product even well after you've taken delivery even adding features or enhancements you never paid for. I think that's what separates Tesla from the others I think. Until the other manufacturers get more customer friendly, they won't get away with what Tesla does.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
MoneyHypeMike wrote: Same reason iPhone as hyped up.
not even close
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
3741 posts
3965 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote: Lets see how the demand is after the rebate disappears...
The rebate has disappeared as of March 9th EVs over $75K no longer qualifies.

A friend over at one of the Tesla stores tells me that orders have been cancelled / dropped for the S and X.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32148 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
EP32k2 wrote: I'm trying to understand why this car is so hyped up? Lets see how the demand is after the rebate disappears...
You have access to the same information as the rest of the public, so if its not for you don't buy it. No one forces you to "fall" for the hype. Everyone has different tastes, personally i would like a vehicle that has better crash safety then any other EV, has OTA updates, enough range to meet my needs, a super charging network, a frunk, made by a manufacturer that is about innovation (even after the car leaves the dealership) instead of cutting 57 cents to murder me and so on. If these things are not for you then thats a reason competition exists.
Different strokes for different folks.

Of course Tesla is not perfect, i wish they would finalize their software before the car is sold, so OTA updates would be about bugs and new features, not just regular ones that i have to live with until its fixed later, i would like to see a list of upgrades and when it was instituted so i know when i buy one where it stands on upgrades, i would like to see battery reports that catalogue over the lifetime if the car was kept fully charged and driven hard or say 80% charged and normal driven (very possible to do), i would like to see the cameras used as a built in dashcam, it would be great if parts costs were more reasonable and prices accessible and so on. So i fully acknowledge they have deficiencies, but on the whole if i could afford a Tesla i would drive one over the competition. If other companies want to catch up to Tesla and even surpass them they have greater then Tesla cash reserves to do so and i've just listed a bunch of ways they could accomplish it and i encourage them to do so.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
If Tesla will get $13k to $18k (depending on range) for each Model 3 sold in Quebec, and nothing in Ontario, why wouldn't Tesla fulfill Quebec pre-orders first to secure the ZEV mandate credits? Even with the Ontario customer rebates they would still make more selling the cars in Quebec. Its not like they don't need the extra cash flow.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
2467 posts
1082 upvotes
GTA
Martin (deal addict) wrote: If Tesla will get $13k to $18k (depending on range) for each Model 3 sold in Quebec, and nothing in Ontario, why wouldn't Tesla fulfill Quebec pre-orders first to secure the ZEV mandate credits? Even with the Ontario customer rebates they would still make more selling the cars in Quebec. Its not like they don't need the extra cash flow.
I'm not familiar with the Quebec program, can companies sell their credits? I know telsa does this big time in the states.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
wackojacko wrote: I'm not familiar with the Quebec program, can companies sell their credits? I know telsa does this big time in the states.
Yes, manufacturers who do not meet their quota have to buy credits from those who have. It is set up similar to Californis etc. Amount per vehicle is capped at $20K which I think some of the longer range Model S/X qualify for.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2014
1924 posts
2397 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Quentin5 wrote: i would like to see battery reports that catalog over the lifetime if the car was kept fully charged and driven hard or say 80% charged and normal driven (very possible to do)
I question the usefulness of the data you are looking for.

Our 2013 Tesla Model S has been charged to 100% almost every weekend for the past 2.5+ years, no degradation at all, we still have the same 97% original capacity that the car reported when we bought used/CPO in 2015.

My 2013 Smart ED was thrashed daily and charged to 100% for over 1000 nightly charges. When I traded it in, the car ran and charged up like new, no degradation on the battery check done by the dealer.

The "problem of the electric car battery" has been solved. Sure, a few generation of Nissan Leaf performed poorly, but there are no other examples of EV's that suffer from meaningful or significant degradation no matter how hard they are driven or what percentage they are charged to daily.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32148 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
SmartElectric wrote: I question the usefulness of the data you are looking for.

Our 2013 Tesla Model S has been charged to 100% almost every weekend for the past 2.5+ years, no degradation at all, we still have the same 97% original capacity that the car reported when we bought used/CPO in 2015.

My 2013 Smart ED was thrashed daily and charged to 100% for over 1000 nightly charges. When I traded it in, the car ran and charged up like new, no degradation on the battery check done by the dealer.

The "problem of the electric car battery" has been solved. Sure, a few generation of Nissan Leaf performed poorly, but there are no other examples of EV's that suffer from meaningful or significant degradation no matter how hard they are driven or what percentage they are charged to daily.
Lithium ion degradation at high state of charge has not been solved, the technology has not been invented yet. If you keep a li ion cell at 4.2V for long continuous periods it will accelerate its aging. This process can be slowed down and Tesla even announced they had made progress on this (last year i believe), but its not history yet.
That said if you charge to 4.2V and use the vehicle to bring it under 80% reasonably quickly your not aging the cell that much faster. If you charged fully, left it for a year (plugged in so self drain doesn't use up the juice) and then tested it it will have lost capacity. If you kept it at high temperature as well you will have wrecked even more capacity. Battery health reports such as time on >80% an 90%+ SOC and high number of full power launches (as well as supercharging stats) is completely accomplishable by Tesla and would be great for the used market (though like all automakers their primary goal is to sell new cars).

I agree that data has shown excellent capacity retention for Tesla vehicles, and they spend R&D money on developing even better cells but this "feature" of lithium ion still exists (unfortunately).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)