Sep 21, 2004
8836 posts
2380 upvotes
Calgary
some1not wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 4:35 pm
OMG...that's in $US

That's like $100K CDN!!!

Okay so it's only $77K CDN - $14K rebate - $63K! Very affordable!! Hello???
yap as affordable as a fully loaded BMW 3 or Audi A4 but the car can drive itself on freeways. I don't see you complaining in every BMW or Audi threads.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
2662 posts
348 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 5:05 pm
yap as affordable as a fully loaded BMW 3 or Audi A4 but the car can drive itself on freeways. I don't see you complaining in every BMW or Audi threads.
I am raising my hourly rates, BMW 3 series cost $77K??
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1463 posts
580 upvotes
Toronto
b166er1337 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 5:05 pm
BMW and Audi isn't marketed as an affordable automobile to the public. Where as the Model 3 is. Even at the base model 80% will have a difficulties affording this car. But I guess the why most car companies now offer 6 - 10yr car loans!

As for driving itself on the highway, I'm not dishing out $40K to be a beta tester!
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Sep 8, 2014
496 posts
387 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Our Tesla Model S is cheaper to own+fuel compared to our previous Mercedes SUV.
I've posted #'s here before.

Premium cars are super expensive to own, and the premium fuel is a pain to pay for.
It's been 4 years since I bought gas, I don't know or care about the price.

But I did sign up for 2c/kWh electricity recently, so I know the price of that fuel .. !!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8836 posts
2380 upvotes
Calgary
some1not wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 7:07 pm
BMW and Audi isn't marketed as an affordable automobile to the public. Where as the Model 3 is. Even at the base model 80% will have a difficulties affording this car. But I guess the why most car companies now offer 6 - 10yr car loans!

As for driving itself on the highway, I'm not dishing out $40K to be a beta tester!
I'm not sure which part you don't understand. Average selling price for new vehicle in US is $34k USD. Model 3 starts at $35k. No one is forcing you to buy any option or be a beta tester.

Depending on which state you live, you may end up paying $25k for an electric car with 220 mile range, high safety rating, good looking high performance car that cost next to nothing to run.

Again, with the amount of BMW, Lexus and Audi on the road, Model 3 is definitely a mass market car where anyone with an above average income can afford.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8836 posts
2380 upvotes
Calgary
romsan04 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 6:07 pm
I am raising my hourly rates, BMW 3 series cost $77K??
Fully maxed out Tourismo cost quite a bit. The options are pricey.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1463 posts
580 upvotes
Toronto
b166er1337 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 12:15 am
I'm not sure which part you don't understand. Average selling price for new vehicle in US is $34k USD. Model 3 starts at $35k. No one is forcing you to buy any option or be a beta tester.

Depending on which state you live, you may end up paying $25k for an electric car with 220 mile range, high safety rating, good looking high performance car that cost next to nothing to run.

Again, with the amount of BMW, Lexus and Audi on the road, Model 3 is definitely a mass market car where anyone with an above average income can afford.
Fair enough you're taking the rebate into account, I say the faster the rebate is gone the faster the price of EV falls. But you said it yourself, "Above average income" . Also when was the last time someone here bought a basic car?

Hey, if the hype of Elon saying that the Model 3 is affordable, it must be true. Especially when finance over a 6 - 10yr term! I know affordability is different for everyone but I'm just a guy on the internet so don't take my word.

Take the word from a guy that's made it in life!
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/25/steve-w ... tesla.html
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1045 posts
703 upvotes
Ottawa
some1not wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 9:10 am
Also when was the last time someone here bought a basic car?
I'm totally fine with base trim Model 3. I don't need all those bells and whistles and 220 mile range is more than enough.
I also bought base Ford Focus Electric this summer. My previous new car was base 2010 Sonata.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1463 posts
580 upvotes
Toronto
seafish wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 9:25 am
I'm totally fine with base trim Model 3. I don't need all those bells and whistles and 220 mile range is more than enough.
I also bought base Ford Focus Electric this summer. My previous new car was base 2010 Sonata.
The base Focus EV is basically fully loaded and there is nothing wrong cranking up your windows in your 2010 Sonata!
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1045 posts
703 upvotes
Ottawa
some1not wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 9:50 am
The base Focus EV is basically fully loaded and there is nothing wrong cranking up your windows in your 2010 Sonata!
Well, it's still a base trim for Focus EV and there was an option for leather seats. Do you think Model 3 is not fully loaded when you compare to other EV cars?
BTW, 2010 Sonata had power windows in base trim :)
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8836 posts
2380 upvotes
Calgary
Tesla could be underselling Model 3’s range and charging capacity, reveals EPA document

Summary:
- Model 3 LR achieved an EPA-cycle range of 334 miles (537 km), but Tesla asked the EPA to lower the official range to 310 miles.
- Car achieved a charge rate of 210 kW, which is significantly higher than the current Model S/X’s Supercharger charge rate of 120 kW.
- Vampire drain is only 4% per month.

By the same token, standard Model 3 should have 235-240 miles EPA range, on par with the Bolt. Model S/X vampire drain is 30% per month in comparison.
some1not wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 9:10 am
Take the word from a guy that's made it in life!
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/25/steve-w ... tesla.html
Woz is right. He is engineer so he clashed with Steve Jobs for building up too much hype for numerous Apple products. That doesn't make Steve Jobs less influential. Besides Woz has a Tesla and he loves it. In the interview he was cautious about the Autopilot and that self driving is a long way to go. He also said "Tesla has done something that is so important to me," says Wozniak. "I mean transitioning from gas driven cars to electric cars for a future, it is part of our cleanliness formula.""
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40869 posts
9763 upvotes
Come to think of it, maybe I should just go LR and AWD and skip the PUP since it doesn't even offer a heated steering wheel. Heated seats, memory seat and heated side mirrors are great but I guess I can live without them.

Does Telsa offer ala carte?

Premium Upgrades Package - $5,000
Upgraded interior with additional features and premium materials.

• Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout, including open pore wood décor and two rear USBs --> we are wearing winter coats inside the car anyway and with LR, we can blast the cabin heat as high/hot as we want
  • 12-way, power adjustable front seats, steering column and side mirrors, with custom driver profiles --> would be nice to have it it is for three drivers and not just for two but I think we can manage
  • Premium audio system with more power, tweeters, surround speakers and subwoofer --> not an audiophile
  • Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection --> metal roof is safer anyway if the car ever flips :)
  • Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors --> nice to have the heated side mirrors during winter but we will park inside the garage anyway so it's only an issue when leaving work/school. Nothing a nice absorbent cloth can't fix.
  • LED fog lamps --> never used the lamps on our RAV4H
  • Center console with covered storage and docking for two smartphones --> keep all valuables out of sight
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8836 posts
2380 upvotes
Calgary
alanbrenton wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 10:14 am
Come to think of it, maybe I should just go LR and AWD and skip the PUP since it doesn't even offer a heated steering wheel. Heated seats, memory seat and heated side mirrors are great but I guess I can live without them.

Does Telsa offer ala carte?
It's packages only. Front seats are heated in the standard model as well. Besides in EV you just preheat the car before you head out and it can be done from your phone. The only thing I really want is the front glass roof but don't think it's worth paying $6600 Cad for it.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40869 posts
9763 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 10:23 am
It's packages only. Front seats are heated in the standard model as well. Besides in EV you just preheat the car before you head out and it can be done from your phone. The only thing I really want is the front glass roof but don't think it's worth paying $6600 Cad for it.
Wow, even better. Who cares what my friends' bottoms feel at the back? :)

Only my wife and daughter wants the glass roof. The only time I push the buttons is when I'm about to get a touchless carwash to make sure it's shut tight. Even on our RAV4, I just let my wife and daughter have the two memory positions. It's not like I'm towering over both of them so just sliding the seat backwards is usually enough.

Probably will go with Tesla unless other BEV makers start offering 250 miles and AWD at a similar price point or maybe $5-8k CAD premium. My needs/wants are quite limited, lol.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8836 posts
2380 upvotes
Calgary
alanbrenton wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 10:26 am
Wow, even better. Who cares what my friends' bottoms feel at the back? :)

Only my wife and daughter wants the glass roof. The only time I push the buttons is when I'm about to get a touchless carwash to make sure it's shut tight. Even on our RAV4, I just let my wife and daughter have the two memory positions. It's not like I'm towering over both of them so just sliding the seat backwards is usually enough.

Probably will go with Tesla unless other BEV makers start offering 250 miles and AWD at a similar price point or maybe $5-8k CAD premium. My needs/wants are quite limited, lol.
It's glass roof, not moon roof. There is no button to push. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes