Automotive

Tesla Model S, Ξ, X, Y & Roadster discussion

Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40869 posts
9763 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 10:56 am
It's glass roof, not moon roof. There is no button to push. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
So the 3 will not have a moonroof no matter what? Even better. Metal roof is the most maintenance-free, especially coming from a manufacturer where quality could be all over the place but hopefully improving.
Sep 8, 2014
497 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Premium package is the one option I am sure to get. The audio and panoramic roof alone are worth it, and the other items are nice to have.
Our Tesla S has the premium audio, and I couldn't imagine not getting that in a nice car, it just makes road trips far more enjoyable.
Aug 27, 2013
337 posts
141 upvotes
cloud
SmartElectric wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 7:59 pm
Premium package is the one option I am sure to get. The audio and panoramic roof alone are worth it, and the other items are nice to have.
Our Tesla S has the premium audio, and I couldn't imagine not getting that in a nice car, it just makes road trips far more enjoyable.
+1; premium audio would be great in a quiet BEV.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4517 posts
493 upvotes
some1not wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 9:10 am
Fair enough you're taking the rebate into account, I say the faster the rebate is gone the faster the price of EV falls. But you said it yourself, "Above average income" . Also when was the last time someone here bought a basic car?

Hey, if the hype of Elon saying that the Model 3 is affordable, it must be true. Especially when finance over a 6 - 10yr term! I know affordability is different for everyone but I'm just a guy on the internet so don't take my word.

Take the word from a guy that's made it in life!
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/25/steve-w ... tesla.html
That article is more to do with the dangers of the Tesla Autopilot and how it's not ready for prime time according to Wozniak. He owns a Tesla.
"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8836 posts
2380 upvotes
Calgary
Very detailed walk-through of the Model 3 by the Model 3 owners club's Trevor Page. I believe he is from Aurora Ontario.

Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
May 3, 2005
980 posts
63 upvotes
Woodbridge
Wow, I think that video pretty much answers any question an interested person could have.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4517 posts
493 upvotes
Been following these guys for a few months now, great review. Trevor had his heart set on a Model 3 but I think he mentioned that the wait was too long so he might opt for an S - not sure if he went through with it. I'm so jealous, the 3 can't come fast enough for me.
"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8836 posts
2380 upvotes
Calgary
lobo wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 7:24 pm
Wow, I think that video pretty much answers any question an interested person could have.
I think this is the first time I have watched an one-hour long video on YouTube.

I would love to have them do a follow up a few months from now to include all the features such as autopilot, Bluetooth streaming and other inactivated features.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40869 posts
9763 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 8:42 pm
I think this is the first time I have watched an one-hour long video on YouTube.

I would love to have them do a follow up a few months from now to include all the features such as autopilot, Bluetooth streaming and other inactivated features.
Are you opting for LR and AWD or just LR?

Good thing Seafish from Ottawa (slightly colder winters than the GTA) kinda convinced me to review what the PUP included when he said will go for the base M3.

Even with 50% less range in the winter, I think at 240 km, it's got 100% of the needs covered, excluding interprovincial drives. Driving back and forth between the bordering towns of NY is also about 200-250 km round trip.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8836 posts
2380 upvotes
Calgary
alanbrenton wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 8:44 pm
Are you opting for LR and AWD or just LR?

Good thing Seafish from Ottawa (slightly colder winters than the GTA) kinda convinced me to review what the PUP included when he said will go for the base M3.

Even with 50% less range in the winter, I think at 240 km, it's got 100% of the needs covered, excluding interprovincial drives. Driving back and forth between the bordering towns of NY is also about 200-250 km round trip.
You have any link to this Seafish post? By the way unless it is -40, I doubt you will get 50% rated range loss from the battery.

I'm still leaning LR + Autopilot. No need to drive my precious in a snowstorm when I also have an AWD SUV.

Maybe in 7 years or so I may sell both and get the LR AWD Model Y as the only car.
Sep 8, 2014
497 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Sigh.

Range loss in cold depends on many factors.
We typically see 25% less range in -20C winter days on a 200 km trip driven without stops.

If you drive 20 km, stop for an hour, repeat 10 times to go 200 km, then all those stops allows car to cool down, requiring heating to get back to room temperature. In this strange case, driven over 15 hours in one day, you might see 50% range reduction.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40869 posts
9763 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 11:02 pm
You have any link to this Seafish post? By the way unless it is -40, I doubt you will get 50% rated range loss from the battery.

I'm still leaning LR + Autopilot. No need to drive my precious in a snowstorm when I also have an AWD SUV.

Maybe in 7 years or so I may sell both and get the LR AWD Model Y as the only car.
All he said was he was going for the base model. So I got curious as to why someone one from Ottawa would not want the extra amenities of the PUP so I just looked at the list of included items and realized I only really needed/wanted the heated side mirrors and possibly the memory seats because there will be three drivers in my household.
Dec 7, 2007
226 posts
78 upvotes
Just placed my order for a new Model S.

I've read a lot of threads about QC issues on these cars - but how owners are 99% satisfied despite these issues. I'd be curious to hear about any owners and their experiences with any issues upon delivery. Obviously its not going to stop my from purchasing, but can set realistic expectations upon receipt.
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8212 posts
2390 upvotes
Richmond Hill
toolioiep wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 5:19 pm
Just placed my order for a new Model S.

I've read a lot of threads about QC issues on these cars - but how owners are 99% satisfied despite these issues. I'd be curious to hear about any owners and their experiences with any issues upon delivery. Obviously its not going to stop my from purchasing, but can set realistic expectations upon receipt.
People are either accepting the QC issues as growing pains since its a high tech product or delusionally happy. At the end of the day it's still an inconvenience to have to go and get problems fixed. Time is money and who wants to spend time at a dealership.
Aug 22, 2003
166 posts
15 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 5:30 pm
People are either accepting the QC issues as growing pains since its a high tech product or delusionally happy. At the end of the day it's still an inconvenience to have to go and get problems fixed. Time is money and who wants to spend time at a dealership.
Perhaps there are even some people who are not having any quality issues? I have had a Model S for 4.75 years and haven't had any quality issues at all. It's been a terrific experience actually.