Tesla Model S, Ξ, X, Y & Roadster discussion

Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8227 posts
2393 upvotes
Richmond Hill
morris_the_cat wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 7:35 pm
Perhaps there are even some people who are not having any quality issues? I have had a Model S for 4.75 years and haven't had any quality issues at all. It's been a terrific experience actually.
1st year wasn't the same experience, just like how model X is plagued with QC issues with fit and finish as well as the doors lol. I'm sure musk will have it ironed out after the beta users have gone through it.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4409 posts
2753 upvotes
Montreal
EP32k2 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 5:30 pm
People are either accepting the QC issues as growing pains since its a high tech product or delusionally happy. At the end of the day it's still an inconvenience to have to go and get problems fixed. Time is money and who wants to spend time at a dealership.
When GM or any other domestic have QC issues the vitriol is endless, "they're garbage, trash cars, they're cutting corners, never buying this again, typical GM ****..." But when Tesla has QC issues "it's only a minor issue, it's a great car, the technology is new, normal for minor issues, I still love the car, it's OK I'm saving so much money in gas, my dealer is super nice, here take my money now and deliver my car in 2020, it's OK, I'll wait..." FACT
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40950 posts
9861 upvotes
Ignition switch that caused a few deaths -- cost to fix $10-20 but GM chose to keep mum.

Definitely worse than poor workmanship in my books.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1476 posts
591 upvotes
Toronto
toolioiep wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 5:19 pm
Just placed my order for a new Model S.

I've read a lot of threads about QC issues on these cars - but how owners are 99% satisfied despite these issues. I'd be curious to hear about any owners and their experiences with any issues upon delivery. Obviously its not going to stop my from purchasing, but can set realistic expectations upon receipt.
Here's one.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-10-3 ... ervice-iss

Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8842 posts
2385 upvotes
Calgary
ottofly wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 8:35 pm
When GM or any other domestic have QC issues the vitriol is endless, "they're garbage, trash cars, they're cutting corners, never buying this again, typical GM ****..." But when Tesla has QC issues "it's only a minor issue, it's a great car, the technology is new, normal for minor issues, I still love the car, it's OK I'm saving so much money in gas, my dealer is super nice, here take my money now and deliver my car in 2020, it's OK, I'll wait..." FACT
As you said, it is a fact Tesla continues to be the #1 auto brand with customer satisfaction: https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rel ... isfaction/

I don't think anyone is discounting any QC concerns with Model S and Model X. It's just the overall package and owner experience is far ahead of the competition, despite its flaws.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4409 posts
2753 upvotes
Montreal
b166er1337 wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 10:24 am
As you said, it is a fact Tesla continues to be the #1 auto brand with customer satisfaction: https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rel ... isfaction/

I don't think anyone is discounting any QC concerns with Model S and Model X. It's just the overall package and owner experience is far ahead of the competition, despite its flaws.
Tesla behaves more like a cult. Very few if any of the members would dare to admit that their beloved panacea Tesla has any quality issues (PROOF: the guy on this forum with the Model X, paid $150,000 and attempts to justify every defect) and that the leader is in fact a con man who's whole operation depends on siphoning billions from taxpayers and the government. I wouldn't put too much stock in those reports when it comes to Tesla.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
2662 posts
348 upvotes
ottofly wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 8:35 pm
Well it is kind of true but once Tesla identifies/fixes the issue they would update their production line so the new cars don't have this issue. Versus GM **** it we'll produce 500,000 cars and deal with it later. Also Tesla designs and manufactures most of it's components in house, so they are not relying on the BOSCH for their alternators and can fix defective components quickly.
GM is what 50-70 years old and Tesla is less than 10. Different take on whole process where Tesla is trying to be agile adapt to quickly to changes and fix problems fast.
As for pre-order it is the same for any new product. You don't have to pay in full, it is a deposit, which is 100% refundable.

Go to youtube and watch how they are creating their production lines, it is super cool. Musk wants his production lines be 100 times faster than GM/Toyota/VW. He also admitted that the Model X was way too different from Model S and had a lot of new components which were not shared, he is trying to eliminate that thus cutting cost on creating new parts.
Last edited by TomRFD on Oct 31st, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: inappropriate language
May 23, 2007
765 posts
25 upvotes
Calgary
ottofly wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 11:26 am
Tesla behaves more like a cult. Very few if any of the members would dare to admit that their beloved panacea Tesla has any quality issues (PROOF: the guy on this forum with the Model X, paid $150,000 and attempts to justify every defect) and that the leader is in fact a con man who's whole operation depends on siphoning billions from taxpayers and the government. I wouldn't put too much stock in those reports when it comes to Tesla.
I don't have a Tesla but I am extremely interested in owning one in a year or two, I have done a ton of research on it over the past few months because I am interested in seeing whether it is a good long term car (i.e. 8 years). I'll be very careful when saying this as I know Tesla owners are very passionate but here are my findings from talking to various Tesla owners (RFD, local, reddit):

1) Overall amazing car which is hard to compare with ICE cars once you have owned one
2)When I asked the question, "What are your plans after the warranty expires" I got the following:
-I financed plan to trade it in
-I am on a lease so I don't care I will trade it in
-I bought extended warranty and am good for 8 years
-I don't know I will figure it out
I also asked on reddit and was told that all luxury cars have expensive maintenance and to accept it.

The most honest answer I got was from a local P85D owner who said to me "I have the means to simply trade it in, and buy a new model (which I know everyone may not have this means) but I'll be honest I am concerned about out of warranty. Tesla has taken care of me very well UNDER warranty and you have to go into buying a Tesla knowing its the best driving experience but understand that out of warranty is a legitimate concern. Third party Tesla certified shops are opening up but it still is dependent on rare parts.''

I find overall, that Tesla owners are passionate about their car and having an amazing car makes it easier to justify the occasional downfalls. Not one owner was able to give me a good post warranty plan but its really up to you whether the decision to buy an amazing experience is worth it. I am still interested in a Tesla but am cautiously optimistic.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
2662 posts
348 upvotes
ottofly wrote:
It was a cult because not everybody can afford but you are missing whole picture, he changed whole industry around EV, Nissan,VW,Chevrolet,MB all jumping on it too, so he is not just a con how you describe him. He put all his money on the table as well so I would not be so ignorant and hateful towards him.

Just look at any other car manufactures they all plagued with problems, faulty airbags, transmissions, cheating devices e.t.c.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40950 posts
9861 upvotes
Part of it is because with Tesla, there is no dealership involvement, which can taint the customer experience with lots of unsanctioned upselling of services and repairs.

Even service advisors are paid bonuses if they upsold customers on services the latter may never need. The car manufacturer may not sanction that but they have no control on what goes on at the dealership.

Not saying all dealerships are sleaze bags but many are.
Sep 8, 2014
502 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Our Tesla experience.

1. We bought a 2013 in 2015 via CPO, so have 4 years of standard warranty and the balance of original 8 year unlimited distance drive train warranty. This takes us to 2019 on the full car and 2021 on the drive train.

2. Tesla has been outstanding in maintaining the car, we did one $500 standard maintenance visit in 2016, and that is the only money spent to maintain the car so far.

3. We've had 3 major parts replaced, cabin heater core, battery heater core and motor unit. The motor was working well, but Tesla replaced with their latest revision which fixed a number of issues on the original unit. Our car was ~ #6000 produced, very early car, and the fixes were all for items Tesla changed to newer better systems on the newer production cars.

Best car we've ever owned for enjoyment of the driving experience.

My absolute best car ever owned for all reasons was my 2013 Smart Electric, total cost was $10K spent in 4 years including maintenance, fuel and depreciation! The only maintenance was a $3 lightbulb replacement. Cheap motoring folks!
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40950 posts
9861 upvotes
kuznagi wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 12:43 pm
I don't have a Tesla but I am extremely interested in owning one in a year or two, I have done a ton of research on it over the past few months because I am interested in seeing whether it is a good long term car (i.e. 8 years). I'll be very careful when saying this as I know Tesla owners are very passionate but here are my findings from talking to various Tesla owners (RFD, local, reddit):

1) Overall amazing car which is hard to compare with ICE cars once you have owned one
2)When I asked the question, "What are your plans after the warranty expires" I got the following:
-I financed plan to trade it in
-I am on a lease so I don't care I will trade it in
-I bought extended warranty and am good for 8 years
-I don't know I will figure it out
I also asked on reddit and was told that all luxury cars have expensive maintenance and to accept it.

The most honest answer I got was from a local P85D owner who said to me "I have the means to simply trade it in, and buy a new model (which I know everyone may not have this means) but I'll be honest I am concerned about out of warranty. Tesla has taken care of me very well UNDER warranty and you have to go into buying a Tesla knowing its the best driving experience but understand that out of warranty is a legitimate concern. Third party Tesla certified shops are opening up but it still is dependent on rare parts.''

I find overall, that Tesla owners are passionate about their car and having an amazing car makes it easier to justify the occasional downfalls. Not one owner was able to give me a good post warranty plan but its really up to you whether the decision to buy an amazing experience is worth it. I am still interested in a Tesla but am cautiously optimistic.
I'm actually surprised most people don't bother purchasing the ESA but for those on TMC who bought it, they said Tesla doesn't make you run around in circles to get the warranty work done.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1624 posts
817 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
ottofly wrote:
Well what other company can you tweet the cult leader about issues and they get fixed later or even asking for simple information? Try tweeting the GM CEO and see what that gets you.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8842 posts
2385 upvotes
Calgary
bomber17 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 12:40 am
Well what other company can you tweet the cult leader about issues and they get fixed later or even asking for simple information? Try tweeting the GM CEO and see what that gets you.
Steve Jobs/Tim Cook did that...probably by email and not by tweet. Look at how his recklessness ruined the company.

/s
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4541 posts
502 upvotes
2017 Annual Shareholder Meeting

Highlights
Solar roof
Powerwall with integrated phone app
Expanding retail stores
Expanding service centres
double amount of supercharges
10,000 (2017)
Hardware for full autonomy
Software is almost ready
Gigafactory in a few years will have capactity equal to ouput of ALL combined li ion batteries
Longterm plan upto 20 Gigafactories
Factory safety - going to 3 shifts from 2 (shorter hours)
Semi truck unvail end of September - production in 2 years
Model Y (will not be derived from Model 3)
new manufacturing technologies to help with Model Y

Model 3
1st prod delivered nert month
Configurator opening end of next month(colour and wheel size will be the only option). Single motor only.

Q and A you can watch at the above link - starts around 35 min mark
"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."