Automotive

Tesla Ownership Experience (Car Talk ONLY)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2018 7:50 am
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9368 posts
3007 upvotes
Calgary

Tesla Ownership Experience (Car Talk ONLY)

This thread is for Tesla owners and non owners who want to discuss about the actual experience of owning a Tesla.

Car talk only. All other non cars or ownership related topic will be deleted or moved and there will be zero tolerance to repeat offenders. Those who want to prophesy the impending bankruptcy or shorting the stock can post in investment forum.

Resources:
Best EV trip range estimator: https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ (surprising accurate, and a bit on the conservative side)
Charging map: https://www.plugshare.com/
Supercharger map (open, construction, permit status): https://supercharge.info/
Official Supercharger map
Model 3 Supercharger rate: https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/support/supercharging

There is a lot of noise surrounding this company. Some negative news are justified but many others lack objectivity. The best way to know about the product is to visit your local superchargers (lots of owners are happy to share their experiences), drop by the Tesla Store to do a test drive (they will let anyone drive despite most can't afford Model S or X), or join the owners clubs on Facebook: Model 3 owner's club or Canadian Model 3 owner's club.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Thread Summary
There is a lot of noise surrounding this company. Some negative news are justified but many others lack objectivity. The best way to know about the product is to visit your local superchargers (lots of owners are happy to share their experiences), drop by the Tesla Store to do a test drive (they will let anyone drive despite most can't afford Model S or X), or join the owners clubs on Facebook: Model 3 owner's club or Canadian Model 3 owner's club.
5926 replies
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9368 posts
3007 upvotes
Calgary
Owner Review
SmartElectric wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 5:54 pm
Owner here.

Early production ~ VIN 6000 2013 Tesla Model S 85.
Average 30000 km per year.
Supercharged hundreds of times, latest just two days ago, very convenient and fast, added 40% range (165 km) in a short visit to a furniture store in same mall.

Previous cars were all 300HP+ with multiple performance cars including Camaro Z28.
Even as a total gear head, attending F1 races, routinely replacing tires yearly due to burnout wear, will never go back to a gas car.

If you have not driven a Tesla, you have no idea.
I hammer it off every fracking light, every light, with the air suspension, our Tesla runs like a "freight train on smooth rails" on the highway, only need to "dip" into the pedal to add 50 km/h at any speed (legal or no), instant torque is addicting.

My wife will not part with the Tesla S.
So, Model 3 reservation sits unused as I struggle with the choice of trading away my commuter EV (which I love).

Glad to answer any questions.

I have absolutely no concerns about the longevity of Tesla the company, the products are so far above anything I've ever owned before.
My ownership experience is beyond my original expectations, which were very very high.
maverick09 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 4:18 pm
For context, my past two cars have been Audi S4 (8.5) and a E90 335D (with JR tune). The model 3 is as quick off the line as any of those cars, and from 40-90 just as quick. Where the Model 3 lacks is top end grunt at highway speeds. But it's still quick enough to get me into tight spaces, and more reliably than the 335D which took 1-2 secs for the turbos to quick in. And for 99.99% of my driving it's all I ever need. Yes you can go and buy your 500HP car and do what with it at the end of the day - open it up spend a few litres of gas and then brake hard until your next stop. If you live in the GTHA, you are likely hampered by traffic anyways for most of the day.

Traffic around the GTHA is crap, limited times where you can utilize all that power and when you do you can quickly get into the territory of having your car impounded. On today's roads, for regular commuters in the GTHA my belief (again MY OWN OPINION) is BEV's (this applies to all BEV/PHEV) are in another league compared to ICE vehicles. I no longer fret about stop and go - makes no difference to my consumption, AutoPilot takes car of the stop and go for me which is a massive stress reliever and the option of using the HOV lanes is an added benefit.

I'm just generally confused where all this vile hatred for Tesla came from. This is a forward thinking company - hands down. The recent German article about a German Engineering firm tearing apart a Model 3 and the admission that any German manufacture could not sell a Model 3 at its current price is remarkable.

After studying the individual components, they concluded that German EV manufacturers would not be capable of producing a similar vehicle at this point in time
(https://news.slashdot.org/story/18/06/0 ... ineers-say)
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9368 posts
3007 upvotes
Calgary
Review Videos

Model 3 Review (Autopilot 2.5)

Model S Review (Autopilot 1.0)

Model X Review (Autopilot 2.0)
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9368 posts
3007 upvotes
Calgary
Real world range

Source
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15217 posts
3154 upvotes
Toronto
b166er1337 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2015 3:19 pm
Model 3 (rendering)

That looks ugly.
Last edited by b166er1337 on Jul 7th, 2018 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit to clean up old photo
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9368 posts
3007 upvotes
Calgary
carmaster wrote:
Jul 17th, 2015 3:21 pm
That looks ugly.
yeah, it's a render as there is virtually nothing known about Model 3 except the price point.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14769 posts
4145 upvotes
I have read theories that the model 3 will be made from steel instead of aluminum to save cost, this would also decrease range due to the extra weight but lets hope they keep at least 300km range (over 400km would be very nice of course)
What did you come here for?
I came here to complain
I'm sorry thats next door, its being hit on the head lessons in here...
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
21080 posts
5958 upvotes
Toronto
lack of charging stations outside the core of Toronto.

Not practical still, esp. if traveling outside the GTA (vacation, long road trips, etc). I would not buy a Tesla for this main reason.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9368 posts
3007 upvotes
Calgary
Quentin5 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2015 4:34 pm
I have read theories that the model 3 will be made from steel instead of aluminum to save cost, this would also decrease range due to the extra weight but lets hope they keep at least 300km range (over 400km would be very nice of course)
That is true but Elon also said today to expect battery capacity to increase 5% a year so 10% improvement by the time Model 3 comes out. Also it is supposedly 20% smaller. All the statement from Tesla is the Model 3 will have at least 200 mile range.
Jun 10, 2015
262 posts
47 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I'm waiting for another Roadster varient.

I think many would pay a premium to see P85D in a lotus body
Penalty Box
Dec 7, 2012
31669 posts
8078 upvotes
GTHA
howdydo wrote:
Jul 17th, 2015 5:36 pm
I'm waiting for another Roadster varient.

I think many would pay a premium to see P85D in a lotus body
The new roadster would be an original design.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk: We should have designed an all-original car from the beginning

“We ended up changing most of the damn car,” said Musk, “so we thought later, why did we do that.” Tesla was built on two false premises, Musk said: that Tesla could easily adapt the Lotus chassis, and that the powertrain from AC Propulsion would work as-is in a commercial environment.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4274 upvotes
Does anyone know whether autopilot will be available on this?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2641 upvotes
ON
Their next speed tier better be Plaid.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)