Automotive

Tesla Ownership Experience (Car Talk ONLY)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 12:35 pm
Banned
Jun 17, 2009
1765 posts
181 upvotes
onatrio

interesting tesla deliveries in toronto
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12348 posts
5403 upvotes
What are the options for installing a home charger on the outside of the house?
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
20055 posts
9836 upvotes
Toronto
I posted this on TMC, but thought I'd let you guys know as well:
With winter out in full force, I finally had a day where I've been out driving all day and arrived home with 0% battery! (Just made it haha!)

Background: Model X AP2 75D - Charged to 90%, and got to my car in the morning with 335km on the battery (was 340km in the summers). Had 1-2 passengers in the car most of the time with seat warmers at level 1 activated.

Driving throughout the day at about a 30/70% split highway/city.

Temperature was freezing throughout the day, and it was between -15 degrees Celsius and -20 degrees!

Anyhow, here are the results. I took the pics in both US and Canadian format for reference.

Summary: Car used up 335km of range to produce 136km

What I'm a little shocked at....car says its only used 50.4kWh....
90% charge should've given me 74kWh (useable as posted by someone on the 75D) * 90% = 66.6kWh...so if the car only used 50.4kWh...what happened to the other 16kWh? Are they still there and the car is using it as a "reserve"....or is it just not calculating the power it used when not driving, or non driving functions?

Thats about 30% of my "gas" that "disappeared"? I was using the Cars "meter" to track how much I've used in total electricity throughout car ownership through "trip A" (currently showing 6400kWh)....but I guess this means thats way off? So actual cost of driving/ownership is considerably higher?

Realtor (Investment Properties) - CPA, CA
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12348 posts
5403 upvotes
deal_with_singh wrote: I posted this on TMC, but thought I'd let you guys know as well:
"Car used up 335km of range to produce 136km"

That is concerning
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Though I haven't cancelled my reservation for a M3, I have made up my mind that I will only make a purchase once Tesla sheds some light on the Right to Repair or at least provide some assurance that fixing a M3 post-warranty or post-ESA will not be extremely costly.

For S and M owners, they are mostly an affluent bunch so money is likely no object. :)
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2014
1911 posts
2367 upvotes
Toronto, ON
deal_with_singh wrote: I posted this on TMC, but thought I'd let you guys know as well:
The screen shot shows 37 kWh/100 km.

For a comparison, my new 2017 Smart ED used 24 kWh/100 km on a 25 km run in -22C yesterday at midnight after being cold soaked for 10 hours.
In the exact same trip, my wife's Tesla did 33 kWh/100 km. Door to door identical trip, cars following each other.

Whereas the Tesla was pre-heated (counted in this energy use) and had no issues in the -22C weather, the Smart ED could not defrost the windows adequately.

I'd far rather drive the Tesla in super cold weather, it's a champ, and cabin is always comfortable.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2014
1911 posts
2367 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Moral : Get the biggest battery if you drive long distances in Canada in the winter.
While the X75D is an awesome car, and surely the passengers were in comfort the entire time, the Model S X75D has the lowest range of any Tesla sold.

As reference, our Model S 85 after 5 years and just under 3% range degradation has more range. The X is a superior vehicle to my (now old) S, but if you want range, a bigger battery is the key.

We've easily driven 500 km in -22C weather, sure it takes a few supercharges, but Tesla is rolling these out all over Canada.
Banned
Feb 6, 2017
2176 posts
1263 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Though I haven't cancelled my reservation for a M3, I have made up my mind that I will only make a purchase once Tesla sheds some light on the Right to Repair or at least provide some assurance that fixing a M3 post-warranty or post-ESA will not be extremely costly.

For S and M owners, they are mostly an affluent bunch so money is likely no object. :)
I cancelled my Model 3 order yesterday, you can actually do it online in your account via "Manage my account". I called them up and the guy says it takes about 3 weeks to process but I'm hearing that it could be longer. They will send me a cheque in the mail rather than crediting it back to my CC. Wonder if this is a ploy to stretch out as much of the "loan" that they can.

I hate the cold weather. Getting only 43-48km range on my Volt the past couple of days in -25c weather, which almost covers my commute to work and back.

I will get a Tesla in the future I'd say in 4-5 years.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
HN12345 wrote: I cancelled my Model 3 order yesterday, you can actually do it online in your account via "Manage my account". I called them up and the guy says it takes about 3 weeks to process but I'm hearing that it could be longer. They will send me a cheque in the mail rather than crediting it back to my CC. Wonder if this is a ploy to stretch out as much of the "loan" that they can.

I hate the cold weather. Getting only 43-48km range on my Volt the past couple of days in -25c weather, which almost covers my commute to work and back.

I'm not cancelling until I have bought an alternative, likely with some electrification. Maybe Tesla will have a change of heart/mind because some members at TMC are becoming more concerned about cost of repairs down the road.

I used Amex which was long cancelled so good to know they can cut us out a cheque. :)

Good you drive so little and a PHEV does make a lot of sense. From home to Mississauga office, I think my wife already does 70-80 km round trip. Then there's the Waterloo office being almost 200 km lol.

If the 2019 Honda Insight is reasonably priced and spec'ed well and really hits 60 MPG or more, I'm likely going to be a taker if my Civic needs replacing. Even the Prius Prime (also the Ioniq Hybrid which felt so under-powered) gets almost 60 MPG on gasoline alone after the small battery is depleted so no reason Honda can't with the Insight. At 60 MPG, it is going to be 2-3 cent per km more than a really efficient BEV but even with a 200k km driving, that is at most a $6,000 incremental spending on fuel on top of the typical Honda maintenance costs.

I think a Tesla repair or two post warranty will cost that much already, especially if drive unit or battery related.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
HN12345 wrote: I cancelled my Model 3 order yesterday, you can actually do it online in your account via "Manage my account". I called them up and the guy says it takes about 3 weeks to process but I'm hearing that it could be longer. They will send me a cheque in the mail rather than crediting it back to my CC. Wonder if this is a ploy to stretch out as much of the "loan" that they can.

What year is your Volt? I thought the recent models have 85 KM of electric range.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay, AF $0
MBNA RWE 5.4% grocery/resto
Bank: EQ (1.5%)
Banned
Feb 6, 2017
2176 posts
1263 upvotes
minimalist wrote: What year is your Volt? I thought the recent models have 85 KM of electric range.
2018 brand new. It's normal as per this Reddit thread: 44 km on my Volt 2018?

Anyway, good to know that the cold is not just zapping away my EV range but this happens to all EVs including the Teslas.
Banned
Feb 6, 2017
2176 posts
1263 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: I'm not cancelling until I have bought an alternative, likely with some electrification. Maybe Tesla will have a change of heart/mind because some members at TMC are becoming more concerned about cost of repairs down the road.

I used Amex which was long cancelled so good to know they can cut us out a cheque. :)

Good you drive so little and a PHEV does make a lot of sense. From home to Mississauga office, I think my wife already does 70-80 km round trip. Then there's the Waterloo office being almost 200 km lol.

If the 2019 Honda Insight is reasonably priced and spec'ed well and really hits 60 MPG or more, I'm likely going to be a taker if my Civic needs replacing. Even the Prius Prime (also the Ioniq Hybrid which felt so under-powered) gets almost 60 MPG on gasoline alone after the small battery is depleted so no reason Honda can't with the Insight. At 60 MPG, it is going to be 2-3 cent per km more than a really efficient BEV but even with a 200k km driving, that is at most a $6,000 incremental spending on fuel on top of the typical Honda maintenance costs.

I think a Tesla repair or two post warranty will cost that much already, especially if drive unit or battery related.
Yep, 50 - 60km daily driving is suitable for a PHEV. The Insight looks very promising, I think that would've been on the top of my list if I hadn't gotten a Volt. I was concerned about Tesla repair costs as well. Basically, if you're buying a Model 3, you're basically in the same demographic as purchasers of BMW 3 series, Audi A4s etc. so be prepared to pay similar maintenance costs. I think many people forget that owning a Tesla is owning a luxury car, even if its' the "affordable Model 3" lol.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
HN12345 wrote: Yep, 50 - 60km daily driving is suitable for a PHEV. The Insight looks very promising, I think that would've been on the top of my list if I hadn't gotten a Volt. I was concerned about Tesla repair costs as well. Basically, if you're buying a Model 3, you're basically in the same demographic as purchasers of BMW 3 series, Audi A4s etc. so be prepared to pay similar maintenance costs. I think many people forget that owning a Tesla is owning a luxury car, even if its' the "affordable Model 3" lol.
But at least with a Euro make, I think people kinda know how to get a salvaged component to work. With Tesla, we are help captive if the drive unit or battery or the screen goes down because getting a salvaged component will likely (I know it is for the battery and DU) not work as the system will reject the serial number. As would be owners, post warranty, we are not even free to choose how we try to keep the car from falling into pieces and must rely on Tesla's "revenue neutral" service centers / authorized shops (if there are at all).

Maybe it's tougher to do with newer vehicles but my friend got an 02 V6 Accord with a shot transmission free from his friend and all he had to do was ask his mechanic to look for one that was in good/re-conditioned condition and bolt in the part. With a Tesla, you will need to leave the car for weeks or months to get a major work done during the warranty period and that's before the M3's'; not so sure what happens for M3's and post-warranty. :(
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
20055 posts
9836 upvotes
Toronto
blexann wrote:
"Car used up 335km of range to produce 136km"

That is concerning
Not exactly. If I was to drive non stop, I could've probably produced more like 225-250....although with EV's...the battery needs to be kept warm so even when not driving, the car is technically always on. Also, we drove very comfortably with steering wheel heaters, seat heaters, and even windshield wiper heaters on.

Its not bad for city driving. Especially now with suburban super chargers opening with the latest being Vaughan Mills (although inconsiderate people have been parking regular cars at supercharger spots). A quick 20-30 min stop and you're good to go for another round. Beats pumping gas int he cold i'd say, plus its free.

Also as a comparison, My Lexus RX 350 gives a fuel efficiency of about 11L/100km in the summer, and 17-18L/100km in the winter. So even Gas cars suffer.

SmartElectric wrote:
The screen shot shows 37 kWh/100 km.

For a comparison, my new 2017 Smart ED used 24 kWh/100 km on a 25 km run in -22C yesterday at midnight after being cold soaked for 10 hours.
In the exact same trip, my wife's Tesla did 33 kWh/100 km. Door to door identical trip, cars following each other.

Whereas the Tesla was pre-heated (counted in this energy use) and had no issues in the -22C weather, the Smart ED could not defrost the windows adequately.

I'd far rather drive the Tesla in super cold weather, it's a champ, and cabin is always comfortable.
Agreed completely! I really wish I had the 100D, but simply could not afford the price difference.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
^ How much was it to charge to travel 136 km, $10 to fully top it up?

My wife's RAV4 Hybrid is doing about 7.5/100 right now with the ugly grill blocker I put on it. :)

At least your ride in style and comfort. No need to pimp up your ride.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
3801 posts
1275 upvotes
I think most of the cars has reserve, when you reach 0 in gas it does not mean your car will stop, you would have probably another 50km before your car will die.

I would not be surprised if Tesla has something similar and there would be another extra 50km.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
20055 posts
9836 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote: ^ How much was it to charge to travel 136 km, $10 to fully top it up?

My wife's RAV4 Hybrid is doing about 7.5/100 right now with the ugly grill blocker I put on it. :)

At least your ride in style and comfort. No need to pimp up your ride.
90% of 72kw useable battery is about 65kw of electricity.

It's hard to quantify a cost because more than half of my charging has been done at Superchargers. Although 65kw of battery at 6.5c off peak per kwh, you're looking at about $4.20 in cost.

Could've easily gotten more range by using a lighter foot, or not using wiper heaters, or steering wheel heaters, etc.

It's why I Gave a comparison with my RX
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
How the Model 3 handles in the snow on all weather tires

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

shifterwrx, gimpflagger