Automotive

Tesla Ownership Experience (Car Talk ONLY)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 8:20 am
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21389 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I’m amazed at the cult following Elon has created. According to this thread he can do no wrong!!!

I’ll give him this. He has disrupted the industry (good thing). He has forced all the other manufacturers to take EV seriously, an extremely good thing.

Good luck if you ever need to repair the car out of warranty.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21389 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
romeocanada wrote: If you drive west bound on 401, between Vic Park and 404, there is a parking lot of some closed discount warehouse. Tesla uses this parking lot to store its shipment. There are over 400 model 3s parked there

Why is there 400 M3 sitting there when there is such a huge delay? This makes no sense. I guess they don’t believe in FIFO.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
3132 posts
1307 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Why is there 400 M3 sitting there when there is such a huge delay? This makes no sense. I guess they don’t believe in FIFO.
When cash doesn't matter!
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2009
1628 posts
1988 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Why is there 400 M3 sitting there when there is such a huge delay? This makes no sense. I guess they don’t believe in FIFO.
Their existing delivery centres cannot handle such a large volume, nor do they have the staff. They have rented the International Centre and hired temporary staff for the month of June to facilitate mass deliveries.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2329 posts
878 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: I’m amazed at the cult following Elon has created. According to this thread he can do no wrong!!!

I’ll give him this. He has disrupted the industry (good thing). He has forced all the other manufacturers to take EV seriously, an extremely good thing.

Good luck if you ever need to repair the car out of warranty.
I think his pissy behaviour on the last earnings call was inexcusable. Acted like a total child. Not sure in this case what he should be blamed for though. It’s not his fault this guy is a moron eager for notoriety.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21389 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
wildlele wrote: Their existing delivery centres cannot handle such a large volume, nor do they have the staff. They have rented the International Centre and hired temporary staff for the month of June to facilitate mass deliveries.
Ok so is it me or is that just piss poor planning? And people wonder why there is always rumours about Tesla going under. Come on they had these preorders for over 2 years, they know the demand yet drop the ball.
Feb 11, 2003
712 posts
123 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Ok so is it me or is that just piss poor planning? And people wonder why there is always rumours about Tesla going under. Come on they had these preorders for over 2 years, they know the demand yet drop the ball.
I think the June delivery event/month is part of the plan to get the owners their cars. Probably also to get some media shine before their big US delivery push
Deal Fanatic
Dec 21, 2005
5865 posts
1672 upvotes
London, ON
Lawrence has 5+ waiting to be delivered
💡😃😂😄
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2015
6184 posts
4811 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
EP32k2 wrote: Ok so is it me or is that just piss poor planning? And people wonder why there is always rumours about Tesla going under. Come on they had these preorders for over 2 years, they know the demand yet drop the ball.
They are most likely waiting until next quarter to delivers more cars in the US because of how the tax program work.

Q2 is going to suck bad for them, Q3/Q4 will show great numbers that probably won't be sustainable,
Alterna Bank Thread

TFSA Portfolio: ATD|CNQ|NA|SJ
RRSP Portfolio: ELV|URI|WSM
Feb 11, 2003
712 posts
123 upvotes
Are you guys big on PPF? I know it’s popular with the Tesla Youtubers. Just wondering if any others are considering it and might be looking to set up a group buy/rate.

Considering the costs to repair the upgraded paint I might consider a front and rear or full car if the price is right.
Jan 15, 2013
459 posts
466 upvotes
newkid wrote: Are you guys big on PPF? I know it’s popular with the Tesla Youtubers. Just wondering if any others are considering it and might be looking to set up a group buy/rate.

Considering the costs to repair the upgraded paint I might consider a front and rear or full car if the price is right.
I am getting it done as soon as I pickup the car. Will report back with recommendations
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2009
1628 posts
1988 upvotes
How would you have handled it differently? Tesla diverted shipments to Canada to maximize the US Federal tax credit limit of 200,000 cars being reached prior to July 1st so they could get six months of full rebate in the US before it expires. At the same time they took advantage of the Ontario $14,000 rebate potentially going away.

What would you specifically have done to handle 2,000+ Model 3 deliveries with only two dealerships in the GTA?
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10111 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
benjicash wrote: I think his pissy behaviour on the last earnings call was inexcusable. Acted like a total child. Not sure in this case what he should be blamed for though. It’s not his fault this guy is a moron eager for notoriety.
Ya he should have not spoken and got someone else to speak. He's not willing to play the finance game which is fine. But don't say it on live call and piss off people
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2329 posts
878 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote: Ya he should have not spoken and got someone else to speak. He's not willing to play the finance game which is fine. But don't say it on live call and piss off people
Yep. It was a total punch in the face as a share holder. I couldn’t believe it!!!
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21389 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
wildlele wrote: How would you have handled it differently? Tesla diverted shipments to Canada to maximize the US Federal tax credit limit of 200,000 cars being reached prior to July 1st so they could get six months of full rebate in the US before it expires. At the same time they took advantage of the Ontario $14,000 rebate potentially going away.

What would you specifically have done to handle 2,000+ Model 3 deliveries with only two dealerships in the GTA?
Shit. Like maybe open up more dealerships!!! Instead of making customers wait months and months and months. But I guess you’re ok with that since you’re so defensive and Tesla can do no wrong as they are strategically taking advantage of government rebates that benefits you right?

And how exactly are they taking advantage of the Ontario $14k rebate? The owner applies for the rebate after the car has sold? Or am I missing some back room deal Elon made with Wynne?
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10111 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
benjicash wrote: Yep. It was a total punch in the face as a share holder. I couldn’t believe it!!!
He must be smart enough to realize, pissed off institutions can easily short and dump his stocks. Then he'd be in trouble financially.

I'm sure he's already made thousanda of enemies (oil, electricity, every ICE part mfg) they literally want Tesla to die. Like someone posted in YouTube, Elon better be bringing his own bottled water to all these interviews.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2009
1628 posts
1988 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Shit. Like maybe open up more dealerships!!! Instead of making customers wait months and months and months. But I guess you’re ok with that since you’re so defensive and Tesla can do no wrong as they are strategically taking advantage of government rebates that benefits you right?

And how exactly are they taking advantage of the Ontario $14k rebate? The owner applies for the rebate after the car has sold? Or am I missing some back room deal Elon made with Wynne?
Car has to be delivered to apply for the rebate. Tesla pivoted their strategy (god forbid a business change direction in your mind) to slow US deliveries to avoid hitting 200k cars and triggering the expiration of the tax credit by shipping cars to Canada. Since this was a decision made fairly rapidly they could not build multiple dealerships in a matter of weeks or months.

I get it though, you do not understand the implications of the 200k cars and US tax credit so you are taking a simplistic view which would fail badly.

If anything Tesla is getting Ontario customers their cars faster than we expected. Most of us put down our deposit two years ago so we have already been waiting months and months and are fine with it so not sure what point you are trying to make there?

The way Tesla is leveraging a funded existing government program is by sending cars to Ontario prior to it potentially expiring giving potential buyers $14,000 back in their pockets.

There is no back room deal, it is a public program that has existed for years. I took advantage of it in 2015 with my first EV.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

MarkF56792, joey003