Automotive

Tesla Ownership Experience (Car Talk ONLY)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2018 9:32 pm
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45456 posts
11906 upvotes
SmartElectric wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 1:16 pm
Tesla has been around 10+ years, stop believing this will change, the 99% chance is that it won't.
Don't get a Tesla if this concerns you.
I would rather hear it from Tesla than from you, lol. What expertise do you have on the subject matter anyway besides knowing Tesla's been around for 10+ years and still not cash flow positive?

They talked about it sometime in January/February so here's to hoping. If the ESA is worded badly (less favorable to customers), I will definitely not bother with a Tesla and just ask for my $1k back.

https://electrek.co/2017/01/30/tesla-op ... ent-parts/
Last edited by alanbrenton on Dec 15th, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45456 posts
11906 upvotes
seafish wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 1:15 pm
I thought this was reported long ago (about non-employee getting configuration invite)
I don't think you should worry about getting invitation any time soon (it's still late 2018 estimate for Canadians)
I'm not, late 2018 is perfect timing because my child will be attending post-secondary by then, we can reassess our household's needs after June/July.

If the EVIP goes away so be it. It's not like I'm desperate to go BEV when my household is only spending at most $3k in gasoline every year.
Feb 6, 2017
665 posts
304 upvotes
seafish wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 1:15 pm
I thought this was reported long ago (about non-employee getting configuration invite)
I don't think you should worry about getting invitation any time soon (it's still late 2018 estimate for Canadians)
Yep, some "regular" folks in California were getting their invites 2 weeks ago. "E for Electric" is the biggest Tesla fanboy on Youtube, he provides some pretty good insight. Even though I won't be getting a Tesla for another 5 years at least since I bought a Volt, I'll still follow his channel and keep close tabs on Tesla as everybody is else I'm sure. This reminds me to get my M3 deposit back! My guess will be at least mid-2019 for Canadians.
Feb 6, 2017
665 posts
304 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 1:21 pm
I'm not, late 2018 is perfect timing because my child will be attending post-secondary by then, we can reassess our household's needs after June/July.

If the EVIP goes away so be it. It's not like I'm desperate to go BEV when my household is only spending at most $3k in gasoline every year.
I'm sure you will have plenty of time especially if you're not a reservation holder. If so, where are you in the queue? I was 300k in the queue and might sell my spot to a friend for the same price.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45456 posts
11906 upvotes
HN12345 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 1:27 pm
I'm sure you will have plenty of time especially if you're not a reservation holder. If so, where are you in the queue? I was 300k in the queue and might sell my spot to a friend for the same price.
Actually, I don't mind mid to late 2019 delivery to me because at least I can look at other BEVs available at that time, especially the driving ranges they offer because that's top priority for me. This TM3 even with EVIP is going to cost a pretty penny because I may decide to opt for everything but the EAP and AP.

I did put one 45 minutes into the unveiling but it's not like I'm desperate to get one, especially the first few batches. Good thing there's a service center nearby, just in case.

72k position but it doesn't matter because I think current owners should have priority. Doesn't make sense to sell to non-owners before owners because the latter is what kept Tesla alive.

You can't sell the spot lol. If you can, maybe you can offer mine for a bit more haha.

PROTIP: Don't buy Japanese if you like to change cars often. My 02 Civic won't die. I doubt my 11 Accord coupe will die before 2031. :)
Last edited by alanbrenton on Dec 15th, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 6, 2017
665 posts
304 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 1:30 pm
Actually, I don't mind mid to late 2019 delivery to me because at least I can look at other BEVs available at that time, especially the driving ranges they offer because that's top priority for me. This TM3 even with EVIP is going to cost a pretty penny because I may decide to opt for everything but the EAP and AP.

I did put one 45 minutes into the unveiling but it's not like I'm desperate to get one, especially the first few batches. Good thing there's a service center nearby, just in case.

72k position but it doesn't matter because I think current owners should have priority. Doesn't make sense to sell to non-owners before owners because the latter is what kept Tesla alive.

You can't sell the spot lol. If you can, maybe you can offer mine for a bit more haha.
Oh I assume the spot could be transferrable lol. Easier for me just to get my money back then. I know I'll be salivating over the TM3 when it comes out but that's ok. The Volt is my introductory car into the EV world and I can always get a Tesla years down the road after the dust settles and the company matures. I don't think I'd be financially comfortable with getting a TM3 either without the EVIP.
Last edited by HN12345 on Dec 15th, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45456 posts
11906 upvotes
My ideal scenario would be to get an almost four year-old TM3 for $40k CAD + pay the owner $4k to have him purchase the ESA because only they can buy the ESA. I would probably save $30k doing that. :)
Feb 6, 2017
665 posts
304 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 1:49 pm
My ideal scenario would be to get an almost four year-old TM3 for $40k CAD + pay the owner $4k to have him purchase the ESA because only they can buy the ESA. I would probably save $30k doing that. :)
This must be a fully loaded long range TM3 with auto-pilot as well? :) The very base bare-bones TM3 will be around $45,000 before incentives.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45456 posts
11906 upvotes
HN12345 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 1:51 pm
This must be a fully loaded long range TM3 with auto-pilot as well? :) The very base bare-bones TM3 will be around $45,000 before incentives.
No clue, but I definitely want LR and AWD, PUP isn't a necessity if I can save $30k by going used instead of new. I can manually adjust the seats for my wife and daughter if they want and close the door for them.

These will depreciate like hell if quality is not up to snuff. :)

It won't be the only player anymore in 2023.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31811 posts
8172 upvotes
GTHA
Tesla has launched a new electric vehicle (EV) charging station in Sudbury, which has the ability to charge up to eight vehicles at onces.
The charging station was installed in the parking lot of a SmartCentre retail area in the city’s south end.

https://www.sudbury.com/local-news/tesl ... ury-790919

tesla_setup_cropped.jpg
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1504 posts
113 upvotes
richmondhill

interesting tesla deliveries in toronto
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6099 posts
986 upvotes
What are the options for installing a home charger on the outside of the house?
________

"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."