Automotive

Tesla Ownership Experience (Car Talk ONLY)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 12:35 pm
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7186 upvotes
Calgary
alanbrenton wrote: With provincial tax credits, does it make more sense to finance or lease or will the credits be pro-rated across the term (which means it doesn't matter)?
I believe the Ontario EV program page has detailed information. Isn't it full credits if the lease is 3 years, and anything less is prorated?

Anyway, it now looks like day 1 Model 3 reservation for me. I'm getting excited -)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
b166er1337 wrote: I believe the Ontario EV program page has detailed information. Isn't it full credits if the lease is 3 years, and anything less is prorated?
Correct.
MTO page also lists the amount you would get for a 1 or 2 year lease.
Usually there are poor lease rates making it better to purchase vs lease if you intend to keep it for longer than 3 years.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
A family member can put the $1k deposit down now for model 3, as a Tesla employee. But trying to find out if it's transferable. If it is, then putting down the deposit, will mean getting the car several moths ahead. But if not transferable, well, it's less than 2 weeks to putting a deposit down in Toronto.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2002
6065 posts
2506 upvotes
Arrgh wrote: A family member can put the $1k deposit down now for model 3, as a Tesla employee. But trying to find out if it's transferable. If it is, then putting down the deposit, will mean getting the car several moths ahead. But if not transferable, well, it's less than 2 weeks to putting a deposit down in Toronto.
Previously, the reservation order doesn't guarantee production order. As a Canadian, you'll likely get it long after Americans start getting it and it'll also depend on the trim/option level. For example, if you pick a lower trim version, you'll probably be jumped on the queue by the ones who ordered the higher trim levels.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
SLee wrote: Previously, the reservation order doesn't guarantee production order. As a Canadian, you'll likely get it long after Americans start getting it and it'll also depend on the trim/option level. For example, if you pick a lower trim version, you'll probably be jumped on the queue by the ones who ordered the higher trim levels.
Are you saying even though he puts the deposit in, and is ahead in the queue of the public, if he can transfer to me to pick up in Toronto (instead of Palo Alto), I won't get it based on the position in the queue?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2002
6065 posts
2506 upvotes
Arrgh wrote: Are you saying even though he puts the deposit in, and is ahead in the queue of the public, if he can transfer to me to pick up in Toronto (instead of Palo Alto), I won't get it based on the position in the queue?
Pretty much, if they follow previous procedures they're going to be built in batches, with American models built first, and higher trim levels being built before lower trim levels.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Anyone going for first production year models? I hope the rebates don't disappear as it is a purchase sweetener.

I don't mind being behind but hopefully I get to configuration by late 2018. :)
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
11091 posts
3504 upvotes
Vancouver
From what I've read reservations are not transferable.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
1226 wrote: From what I've read reservations are not transferable.
That is what I read too on teslaforums.
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7186 upvotes
Calgary
New Model 3 reservation info posted online: https://www.teslamotors.com/blog/reserv ... ium=social
Model 3 production is scheduled to begin in late 2017. When production begins, we will begin deliveries in North America starting on the West Coast, moving east. As we continue to ramp production, we will begin deliveries in Europe, APAC and right-hand drive markets. It is not possible to ship to all regions simultaneously because regulators in each part of the world have slightly different production requirements. Staggering deliveries in this way also allows us to provide the best possible customer experience.
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
11091 posts
3504 upvotes
Vancouver
Quentin5 wrote: Interesting, the CAD reservation is $1000, the same as USD, i do wonder what the car will cost for us though.
Probably depends heavily on the exchange rate 18 months from now.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32144 posts
15423 upvotes
Socially Distanced
1226 wrote: Probably depends heavily on the exchange rate 18 months from now.
I completely agree, but putting a deposit on a car when you won't know the retail price for a year and a half does not fill me with confidence.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
11091 posts
3504 upvotes
Vancouver
Quentin5 wrote: I completely agree, but putting a deposit on a car when you won't know the retail price for a year and a half does not fill me with confidence.
It's a refundable deposit. You can always get your money back if you decide it's too expensive when the price is announced.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
1226 wrote: It's a refundable deposit. You can always get your money back if you decide it's too expensive.
Will it at least put as ahead of people who didn't put a deposit and opted for similar specs once production is up and running?
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
11091 posts
3504 upvotes
Vancouver
alanbrenton wrote: Will it at least put as ahead of people who didn't put a deposit and opted for similar specs once production is up and running?
That's certainly what they have been saying, yes.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32144 posts
15423 upvotes
Socially Distanced
1226 wrote: It's a refundable deposit. You can always get your money back if you decide it's too expensive when the price is announced.
Thats good, i still want to know the CAD purchase price, car companies don't always follow the exchange rate, in the old days cars were cheaper in Canada, as our dollar went up is was much cheaper to buy in the US (though importing was sometimes tricky), today i am not sure where its at.

Of course Tesla can't predict the future exchange rate, as much as we wish they could
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
1226 wrote: That's certainly what they have been saying, yes.
Good to know. Once the optional features are out, I'll be sure to let my RFD buddies vet my list. For now, all I want are AWD, heated steering wheel, automatic emergency braking, rear-end prevention control, bigger battery (only if it doesn't cost too much). Maybe auto pilot. I have no need for Performance model since I am coming from an 02 Civic with 105 lbs/ft and 127 HP!
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32144 posts
15423 upvotes
Socially Distanced
alanbrenton wrote: Good to know. Once the optional features are out, I'll be sure to let my RFD buddies vet my list. For now, all I want are AWD, heated steering wheel, automatic emergency braking, rear-end prevention control, bigger battery (only if it doesn't cost too much). Maybe auto pilot. I have no need for Performance model since I am coming from an 02 Civic with 105 lbs/ft and 127 HP!
ouch, i have 105 lb/ft and 500 lbs less weight, i feel your pain

rear-end prevention control?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

audiohs