Automotive

Tesla Ownership Experience (Car Talk ONLY)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2018 7:44 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1709 posts
649 upvotes
Ontario
deal_with_singh wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 6:34 pm
Around $83k with Autopilot (EAP, not FSD)

Save $1300 + tax if you go with black
FSD is another $4000 + tax
WOW - $69k OTR M3 vs $21k OTR FFE post rebate. $48k in the kitty towards an electric SUV when available.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
16197 posts
2170 upvotes
Toronto
Martin (deal addict) wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 7:42 pm
WOW - $69k OTR M3 vs $21k OTR FFE post rebate. $48k in the kitty towards an electric SUV when available.
Because obviously the driving experience is the same?

Were you really trying to compare a fully loaded model 3 to a basic ford?

Even a base to base isn’t a fair comparison and it’ll be a lot closer in price lol

I give up though. Feels like I’m talking to a wall

Enjoy the ford! Let me know how your trip outside the GTA in that thing goes!
Sep 30, 2007
543 posts
293 upvotes
kevdanga wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 1:29 am
Kinda crazy to think Ont was getting a 14K rebate on a luxury car and on top of that owners wouldn't pay their fair share into various programs that are funded from the taxes on gasoline. Hopefully they add a method to recoup some of that loss of tax revenue at registration. Washington state does something similar.
It's a slippery slope. Next thing you know, you'll be taxing poor bicycle riders, electric scooter riders, and whoever else happens to use public roads.
Sep 30, 2007
543 posts
293 upvotes
I find it funny, how people lash out at EV drivers, and complain about taxes on gasoline, but have no problem buying overpriced booze at LCBO, or smokes.
Nobody is forcing you to drive ICE car.
Take public transit, bike, walk, etc.
Live too far from your work?
Well, it's too bad, but it's the choice you made.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
16197 posts
2170 upvotes
Toronto
xrvr wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 9:51 pm
I find it funny, how people lash out at EV drivers, and complain about taxes on gasoline, but have no problem buying overpriced booze at LCBO, or smokes.
Entitlement is high these days
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2012
1301 posts
382 upvotes
TBD
xrvr wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 9:51 pm
I don't think that's a realistic generalization. I'm all for taxes on harmful consumer goods like fast food, soda, alcohol, tobacco, gas (pollution) etc. Even gas I'm not opposed to taxes on. Additional taxes on gas will help push people over to EVs, which is great. At the same time, EV owners shouldn't be excluded from 100% of the taxes on gas. Depending on the province those taxes support public transit and other initiatives.

People in the middle class or lower class shouldn't be subsidized by the tune of $14k. $5 to 7.5k I could maybe get behind, but $14k is obnoxious regardless of the brand/model.

I'm not sure why that makes me entitled, if anything the poster above me needs to do some self assessment in that regard.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1890 posts
949 upvotes
Toronto
deal_with_singh wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 9:59 pm
Entitlement is high these days
You've describe yourself very well with this post!
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
16197 posts
2170 upvotes
Toronto
some1not wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 11:22 pm
You've describe yourself very well with this post!
Thanks, a strangers online opinion of me matters so dearly.
Oct 25, 2010
63 posts
6 upvotes
Has anyone in SW Ontario found a place that will tint the whole back window and roof without doing it in two pieces? I'm getting my M3 coated and protected next weekend, along with chrome delete, but the place I am going to in London won't tint the back glass because of how difficult it is.

I live in the Chatham area, so was hoping to find a place local instead of driving back up to Toronto to get it done.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1452 posts
263 upvotes
Mississauga
deal_with_singh wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 8:55 pm
Because obviously the driving experience is the same?

Were you really trying to compare a fully loaded model 3 to a basic ford?

Even a base to base isn’t a fair comparison and it’ll be a lot closer in price lol

I give up though. Feels like I’m talking to a wall

Enjoy the ford! Let me know how your trip outside the GTA in that thing goes!
I'm not a car guy, a car is something that has no purpose other than to get me from A to B. why would I buy a Tesla costing 4x more?

not everyone needs a EV with a 400+ km range. my daily commute is 20km round trip, free charging at workplace. I don't even have a L2 EVSE installed at home, L1 charging is sufficient for my usage. there is also dozens of 2-hr free charging stations at a shopping center close to home.

granted, I've never took a trip outside the GTA in my FFE. road trip will need meticulous planning even for a Tesla. I went to Yellowstone/Grand Teton 3 years ago, there is just a handful of gas stations inside the park, I've also never seen charging stations. so even a Tesla is pretty useless on such a road trip.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
21330 posts
8147 upvotes
Ottawa
Saw two more over the weekend, a dark grey and white.
Any of these belong to RFD members from Ottawa?
Sep 8, 2014
620 posts
466 upvotes
Toronto, ON
aximrocks wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 11:16 am
road trip will need meticulous planning even for a Tesla. I went to Yellowstone/Grand Teton 3 years ago, there is just a handful of gas stations inside the park, I've also never seen charging stations. so even a Tesla is pretty useless on such a road trip.
#fakenews

Lots of Tesla charging for road trips, including a charging station at the park, sigh,
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/y ... ional-park

We've done many road trips >800 km in our 2013 Tesla Model S, we did 2000 km through Ontario and Quebec just last year, easy, didn't plan too much, just picked hotels listed on the Tesla charging site actually, trivial work, Tesla made it easy for us.

Plus, our Tesla has a feature, you press a button on the steering wheel and say "navigate to new york city", and the car plans the route, the supercharging stops and automates the entire experience with no user planning required.

Seriously, Tesla has solved the problem. Just because you didn't know that doesn't make it true. We've driven 100,000 km in our two EV's, and will never go back to gas.
Sep 8, 2014
620 posts
466 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Martin (deal addict) wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 7:42 pm
Good luck with the pathetic electric offerings from Ford (or GM, or ...), won't fast charge at 1/3 the speed of a Model 3 and you won't be able to say "navigate to montreal" and have the car plan the route and note the scheduled charging stops.

While I love my non-Tesla built by Daimler, the Smart ED, I am under no illusions, the 100 km range is only suitable for the exact purpose, driving my short daily commute.
For all other trips, we take our Tesla Model S.

The Model 3 should be compared to a high end European car, not a run of the mill EV conversion like the Ford Focus EV, even if I like the Focus EV, it's nowhere near the car the Tesla is from any dimension other than "got me to my destination". If that's your compare, then you could have been driving a Smart ED like me 5 years ago.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5816 posts
572 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
bomber17 wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 10:08 pm
Now that more cars are delivered, can we have some pics. I want to see if the panel gaps have been improved.
Panel gaps/paint haven't really been a problems for the couple of months. Mine was pretty much flawless as far as I can tell.

aximrocks wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 11:16 am
granted, I've never took a trip outside the GTA in my FFE. road trip will need meticulous planning even for a Tesla. I went to Yellowstone/Grand Teton 3 years ago, there is just a handful of gas stations inside the park, I've also never seen charging stations. so even a Tesla is pretty useless on such a road trip.
You are SO wrong on this:
https://www.tesla.com/trips#/?v=M3_2015 ... 5500000001

I like the FFE (I had vanilla Focus until recently), but as you said it's useless going outside of the GTA. This is a major reason why we choose a Tesla over other EVs.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1452 posts
263 upvotes
Mississauga
SmartElectric wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 12:42 pm
#fakenews

Lots of Tesla charging for road trips, including a charging station at the park, sigh,
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/y ... ional-park

We've done many road trips >800 km in our 2013 Tesla Model S, we did 2000 km through Ontario and Quebec just last year, easy, didn't plan too much, just picked hotels listed on the Tesla charging site actually, trivial work, Tesla made it easy for us.

Plus, our Tesla has a feature, you press a button on the steering wheel and say "navigate to new york city", and the car plans the route, the supercharging stops and automates the entire experience with no user planning required.

Seriously, Tesla has solved the problem. Just because you didn't know that doesn't make it true. We've driven 100,000 km in our two EV's, and will never go back to gas.
I'm not talking about the road trip to the park. there are charging stations at the west entrance, but nothing INSIDE the park. Yellowstone is huge, about as big as Connecticut. who wants to waste hours driving back and forth to just get charging??
I'd prefer staying inside the park to decrease commute times to get to early morning/late night wildlife watching.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)