Automotive

Tesla Ownership Experience (Car Talk ONLY)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2018 7:44 pm
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1452 posts
263 upvotes
Mississauga
number8888 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 12:49 pm
You are SO wrong on this:
https://www.tesla.com/trips#/?v=M3_2015 ... 5500000001

I like the FFE (I had vanilla Focus until recently), but as you said it's useless going outside of the GTA. This is a major reason why we choose a Tesla over other EVs.
I'm not talking about the road trip to the park. sure, you can do it if you want to waste hours driving back and forth to just get charging. I'd rather not deal with this headache unless Tesla build some Superchargers INSIDE the park.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
16197 posts
2170 upvotes
Toronto
aximrocks wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 11:16 am
I'm not a car guy, a car is something that has no purpose other than to get me from A to B. why would I buy a Tesla costing 4x more?

not everyone needs a EV with a 400+ km range. my daily commute is 20km round trip, free charging at workplace. I don't even have a L2 EVSE installed at home, L1 charging is sufficient for my usage. there is also dozens of 2-hr free charging stations at a shopping center close to home.

granted, I've never took a trip outside the GTA in my FFE. road trip will need meticulous planning even for a Tesla. I went to Yellowstone/Grand Teton 3 years ago, there is just a handful of gas stations inside the park, I've also never seen charging stations. so even a Tesla is pretty useless on such a road trip.
Sure the purpose of a car is to get from A to b, does that mean everyone should be driving corrolas and civics from 1990?

Purpose of a home is for shelter, does that mean we should all live in those tiny shoe boxes?

Purpose of clothes is to stay covered does that mean we should wear dollar store tshirts?

Sure on a day to day most cars are ok for most people, but the one time you decide to take the family to Niagara or anywhere really outside the GTA, you’ll regret it

Also I don’t see how a Tesla is useless for your road trips, even if it doesn’t have charging stations inside the park, the point is a 30 minute top up at the superchargers anywhere will be enough
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1365 posts
300 upvotes
GTA
aximrocks wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 11:16 am
I'm not a car guy, a car is something that has no purpose other than to get me from A to B. why would I buy a Tesla costing 4x more?

not everyone needs a EV with a 400+ km range. my daily commute is 20km round trip, free charging at workplace. I don't even have a L2 EVSE installed at home, L1 charging is sufficient for my usage. there is also dozens of 2-hr free charging stations at a shopping center close to home.

granted, I've never took a trip outside the GTA in my FFE. road trip will need meticulous planning even for a Tesla. I went to Yellowstone/Grand Teton 3 years ago, there is just a handful of gas stations inside the park, I've also never seen charging stations. so even a Tesla is pretty useless on such a road trip.
I respectfully disagree, superchargers make it possible. I just checked plugshare and there are several Level 2 chargers within Yellowstone, so it is even more possible for other EV. Planning yes, meticulous no, with a Tesla. The in car navigation will show you the way to a charger :).

Now with our 2018 Leaf no way would I, with our Model 3, we will be going to Florida (maybe next summer were just there via airplane lol)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2007
5081 posts
1025 upvotes
Brampton
realtycoon wrote:
Jun 7th, 2018 11:29 am
Put 1700km on it so far. Average wh/km of 148. Daily commute of stop and go DVP traffic.

Compared to a gas car, you will get far better than advertised range in stop and go rush hour traffic conditions and worse than advertised range on 120-130+ highway speeds. However the battery is so large that you will safely still get 400km on a full charge on full 130+ highway.
Sorry, so i am new to wh/km. So how much is the total km on a full charge ? ~ 548 ?
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1472 posts
96 upvotes
richmondhill
curious now we know the result of the rebate....right now are you purchasing the model 3 in the immediate near future to possibly get the rebate...before totally gone..or waiting it out for other trim
thanks
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2012
1301 posts
382 upvotes
TBD
number8888 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 12:49 pm
Panel gaps/paint haven't really been a problems for the couple of months. Mine was pretty much flawless as far as I can tell.

You are SO wrong on this:
https://www.tesla.com/trips#/?v=M3_2015 ... 5500000001

I like the FFE (I had vanilla Focus until recently), but as you said it's useless going outside of the GTA. This is a major reason why we choose a Tesla over other EVs.
Wow, I haven't seen that road trip planner site before. That's pretty cool, thanks.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2313 posts
1223 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I don't know if I want to take a Tesla on that long of a road trip. Using that road trip planner, you're going an extra 10 hours due to charging compared to a regular gas road trip. Est gas savings is only $47, I wouldn't say it's worth. I'm in a lucky situation as the Tesla won't be our only car and we'll probably take the Honda Pilot for long road trips but for those that will only have one car and occasionally go on road trips, this is definitely something to consider.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
16197 posts
2170 upvotes
Toronto
bomber17 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 5:25 pm
I don't know if I want to take a Tesla on that long of a road trip. Using that road trip planner, you're going an extra 10 hours due to charging compared to a regular gas road trip. Est gas savings is only $47, I wouldn't say it's worth. I'm in a lucky situation as the Tesla won't be our only car and we'll probably take the Honda Pilot for long road trips but for those that will only have one car and occasionally go on road trips, this is definitely something to consider.
Wait what trip are you driving 10 hours extra on an EV abut only saving $47? I’m curious! I save that kuch on a return trip from Toronto to Niagara for an extra 30 min charge vs gas on my Model X (factoring in my supercharging is free)

Edit:

Ahh nvm I see it.

I get $294 savings pretty sure it’s in usd since it uses mpg on the Model X. Total trip time 50 hr 15 mins

$47 savings model 3 40 hours

Or 30 hrs via google maps via gas
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1709 posts
649 upvotes
Ontario
SmartElectric wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 12:46 pm
Good luck with the pathetic electric offerings from Ford (or GM, or ...), won't fast charge at 1/3 the speed of a Model 3 and you won't be able to say "navigate to montreal" and have the car plan the route and note the scheduled charging stops.

While I love my non-Tesla built by Daimler, the Smart ED, I am under no illusions, the 100 km range is only suitable for the exact purpose, driving my short daily commute.
For all other trips, we take our Tesla Model S.

The Model 3 should be compared to a high end European car, not a run of the mill EV conversion like the Ford Focus EV, even if I like the Focus EV, it's nowhere near the car the Tesla is from any dimension other than "got me to my destination". If that's your compare, then you could have been driving a Smart ED like me 5 years ago.
I have not driven a Model 3 so I really cannot comment on how it drives. There have been reports the ride is rough which flushed out the 45PSI tire pressure as a possible reason. An issue Tesla is going to have to deal with is if it is asking $80k for a sedan the size on an Elantra (BTW looks a little bit like the last generation Elantra imo) then people are going to compare it to ICE cars costing that amount.

I know you love the Smart but there is no place in my stable for another two seater with little space for cargo.

I don't intend to use the Focus on round trips over 130km. At the moment I am getting around 200km with mostly 100km/hr, an up to 240km driven smoothly around town. I actually have it on a slower L2 charger than it can handle to baby the battery in the summer and so I can keep the battery warm overnight in the winter. So fast charging is a feature I will likely only ever use once - my trip bringing the car back from Quebec. The car is not big enough for comfortable extended highway use imo. I have another vehicle for that purpose. I actually enjoy driving and already have more driving aids than I need. The Focus has voice activate navigation should I need it. I don't need autopilot so that I can fold my arms in the driver seat. It is nowhere near trustworthy enough to take over from the driver, so until I can sit in the back seat on the way back from a bar I am not interested in being a guinea pig and paying heavily for the privilege.

Tesla is a great company (except maybe financials) doing great things and I am glad there are people willing to pay a premium to make it all happen. As soon as there is a practical SUV or crossover available at a reasonable price compare to ICE versions I will buy one. I don't think it will be too much longer to wait - hopefully 18 months.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5816 posts
572 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
aximrocks wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 1:37 pm
I'm not talking about the road trip to the park. sure, you can do it if you want to waste hours driving back and forth to just get charging. I'd rather not deal with this headache unless Tesla build some Superchargers INSIDE the park.
OKay perhaps you mean this one: https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/findus/loca ... percharger

Also, the last leg of the trip is 80 miles. A full charger gives you 310 miles. That's plenty of charge for whatever you need to do inside, unless all you are doing is just driving around the park all day. BTW the Tesla would't be producing any pollution while you are it.

Anyway, the point is that the Supercharger network is getting more mature so cross country travel is possible. Can't do that with any other EVs like the FFE.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5816 posts
572 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
bomber17 wrote:
It's a 30hr straight trip with no rest stops or filling up at the gas stations. It's not a fair comparison. Realistically you are looking at maybe 5 hr difference.

And if you are going to take a road trip what's a few hours difference? Also EAP will make the drive a lot more relaxing.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1365 posts
300 upvotes
GTA
bomber17 wrote:
Remember google maps does not include gasoline stops and lunch/dinner/etc. I'm not saying tesla charging is the same time but not that much different. I've got 2 small kids so every stop is 30+ minutes so charging for that time is not a problem for us.

Now if you young dudes driving for 30 hours straight peeing in cups (LOL) than yah google timing is more accurate
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1365 posts
300 upvotes
GTA
Martin (deal addict) wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 7:21 am
Motorists 'are being misled by autonomous driving aids' - report

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... san-report

Its a shame that autonomous driving has somehow got entangled in EV development. Electric vehicles will sell on their own merits without such unnecessary technology.
I agree that they should not be tangled together and there are lots of system on ICE cars. but I have Nissan ProPilot and Tesla Enhanced AutoPilot and for me they are essential now. Make the drive on the highway less stressful and easier. And I don't get stressed behind the wheel. I like driving in the big city LOL and don't mind the 401 during rush (sometimes)
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1709 posts
649 upvotes
Ontario
wackojacko wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 9:00 am
I agree that they should not be tangled together and there are lots of system on ICE cars. but I have Nissan ProPilot and Tesla Enhanced AutoPilot and for me they are essential now. Make the drive on the highway less stressful and easier. And I don't get stressed behind the wheel. I like driving in the big city LOL and don't mind the 401 during rush (sometimes)
That is good to hear. As usual these things have to be designed to be literally idiot proot. I was surprised to read in the article that someone got caught with an empty driver seat on one of the UKs busiest motorways/highways. The systems are so complex that people who do not understand them are probably the very ones who would misuse them / blindly trust them.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)